PDA

View Full Version : Rockets 5 @ Giants 2 - 10/21

Big Daddy
10-21-2005, 11:03 PM
Wow, any comments on our play in our own end. Our D looks good on paper but this game was brutal. A lot of breakdowns in our own end and we didn't get many second or third chances in the offensive zone. The pp looked decent at times but we need to capitalize at least once for every 4 or 5 chances. Maybe time for a bag skate at practice.

GF71
10-22-2005, 01:33 AM
NOT a team effort tonight at all. Most of the guys looked like they were not interested. The D pretty much fell apart after ALbers left the game. Mikkelson looked decent... give him a few games to learn the systems, etc. FINALLY fistric acts like a captian and stands up for a team mate. Just...he got the wrong guy and good thing the linesman pulled him off. The guy turtled and Mark started to feed him the uppercuts. Maybe mark could try somebody his onw size, and a twig of a kid that is not a fighter? He had the right idea, but poor execution. pardon the pun. Slade was NOT on him game. Kraus was hands down the best giant tonight. I am sure beaner will expand in his re-cap.

I won't do this after every game, but here is some inside skinny. Reese was a surprize starter. He look like he was struggling for breath a lot of the time, but that is to be expected. He knee is fine, but he was limping bad after the game. He hurt his foot and is going to the Dr. tomorrow morning. Not a good sign. I am not sure if he will make the trip or not. Paul Albers left the game in the first. He was in a sling after the game, with "muscle issues". He is seeing the Dr. on Monday is and NOT making the trip. Rutherford has NOT been cleared to play (concussion). He also will NOT be making the trip. Voytechek was limping after the game. He has re-injured his groin and by his own admission should not have played. Not sure if he is going to make the trip, but I doubt he will be playing if he does. Egener will get into the line up tomorrow night, due to the injury to Paul Albers. This should cheer him up, as he was NOT happy about getting scratched. Dulle should get into the line up as well. Watt still looked like he was ready to to rip somebody's head off after the game. Might be a rough one tomorrow. For his part, Slade was feeling a bit sheepish. Bus leaves at 10:15 if you care! haha

GFan101
10-22-2005, 01:50 AM
I think it's time to rotate some of the benched guys in. Those ones r all chompin at the bit to get going. Rotate in Dulle and Hunt get them in there so they can stir it up. I thought dulle did a great job a cople games back he made some hits, got some shots on net had jump. Alot of the guys tonight juat didn't have much. Especially after the 1st

rinkrat
10-22-2005, 01:54 AM
There isn't alot to be positive about,after that debacle.I could tell watching warm up,which team was ready.The Giants were standing around chatting and laughing,while the Rockets were business-like and hustling,looking very focused.

Beaner
10-22-2005, 10:22 AM
Well, as has been mentioned not a good game tonight for the Giants. They looked good in the 1st period, easily outplayed the Rockets in that period. After that, who knows what the heck went on, but it looked to me like the Giants were more interested in trying to get into fights with Rockets than play the game. A total mental collapse by the Giants tonight which ended up costing the game. Slade looked like he was overplaying the puck all night.

NOTES
Voytechuk and Reese made it into the lineup after their injuries of the last few days.
Albers left after period one with a shoulder injury and did not return.
Shots were 30-20 for the Giants.
PP were 0/5 for Kelowna and 0/7 for the Giants. 1 SHG for the Rockets.
Mikkelson dressed for his first Giants game, wearing #22.

GOALS
1. VAN Lamb, (4) (Kraus, Watt), 3:50 Kraus gets the shot on net with a little rebound, that Lamb manages to jam under Westbloom.
2. KEL Bodie, (10) (Reinholt, Comeau), 8:41 I am not 100% on this one but I do believe the shot Reinholt came off the back of the boards to Bodie in front of the net, and then he just tucked it in?
2. KEL Almond, (1) (Howarth, Blatchford), 11:56 - Howarth lets the shot go, big rebound to Almond who puts it into the the open cage.
2. KEL Bodie, (11) (Comeau, Blatchford), 12:03 (SH) Comeau flips the puck into the Neutral zone to a streaking Bodie who gets the puck for a clear break-away - Top Shelf Glove side goal from the circle.
2. KEL MacRae, (1) (Ofukany, Edler), 19:26 Festerling lets Ofukany come out of the corner, passes it to MacRae who is left uncovered by Franson in front of the net for yet another easy goal.
3. VAN Bartley, (5) (Kraus, Repik), 4:36 Kraus fires a pass across the goal to Bartley who puts it high into the net on a diving Westbloom.
3. KEL Howarth, (2) (Dowzak, Edler), 16:52 Dowzak gets a shot onto the net, rebound sitting just outside the crease, Howarth gets to it and tucks it under Slade, 5 Hole.

FISTICUFFS
FISTRIC and BAUER- Well they didn't get Fighting majors, but any time One guy drops the gloves and feeds another Uppercuts, I call that fighting. Guess that is more an officiating thing, I'll get into that Later. Bauer Runs Slade at the end of the period, Fistric gives him a crosscheck for good measure, after Bauer gets up they discuss things Fistric drops the gloves and Bauer just covers up. Fistric gets a few Uppercuts in, but the Refs get in pretty quick. Fistric got a double minor for Roughing and Bauer got 2 for Roughing...

WATT and ANDERSON- After the 5th Kelowna goal, Watt and Anderson talk at the Faceoff and it is obvious they will go. Maybe because Watt has been looking for a dance partner all night.... Puck Drops, Gloves off, JD goes to remove the lid and Anderson keeps his on and just starts throwing for dear life. JD Gets his positioning after a while, gets Anderson's Lid off, starts to get the jersy over his head, and feeds a couple. Just as he is about to put a real beating on Anderson the Linesman jump in and break it up. Watt and the fans at the Coliseum were not happy. Watt gets the extra 10 for saying how upset he was that the Linesman broke it up early. WIN WATT.

Maybe its just me, but someone better explain to Anderson, that when you agree to a fight at a faceoff, the honourable thing to do is to take off your helmet. He is very lucky the linesman broke it up before Watt Tore him apart.

OFFICIATING
Klein tonight. Terrible. Does not understand Intereference, does not watch the behind the play garbage, it was pathetic. How Fistric only got a double minor for Roughing after pounding on Bauer is beyond reason. How Bauer didnt get a goaltender interference call on that play or how Fistric didnt get 2 for crosschecking ( Bauer was flat on his back and Fistric just drove him) is a mystery. If I had his email address I would email him a link to the rules.
GRADE: D.

One other note - I think the players have figured out that the refs are not paying attention to the behind the play stuff because the play is moving so fast up the ice. The refs are going to have to figure out how to watch it or it could get very ugly behind the play.

PLEASE TAKE THE TARGET OFF ME AWARD
Kraus Falls down in the kelowna zone right in the slot, we think there was a high stick that sent him down, and then takes a shot from the point right off the top of the helmet. Went off right after that but did come back.

DUMB PENALTY OF THE NIGHT
Machachek 10 Mins. Miscounduct. I believe it was for lipping off. Stupid penalty to take.

OVERALL
Vancouver played great in the first and if they had kept it up, they would have won this game. Completely and utterly fell apart in the second. I don't know what happened to make them lose their focus so much but it was pathetic. They did make a bit of a comeback in the third, but they were all still too interested in getting into fights as opposed to playing Hockey. Slades' postioning tonight was awful and he let out a lot of very big rebounds. Could have been even worse IMO.

Here is a small tip for the Giants - the Rockets are not going to fight you. They want you off your game, it makes their job easier if you are just looking for revenge instead of winning.

The Giants are going to have to focus on playing the game tonight or it is going to be another shellacking for Kelowna and 11 in a row for them.

3 Stars
1. KEL - 29 Troy Bodie
2. KEL - 30 Kristofer Westblom
3. VAN - 12 Tim Kraus