PDA

View Full Version : Reb Woes

Tinner
10-22-2005, 05:56 AM
The game last night was 2 games in one. The 1st period was all RD and they should have had a bigger lead than 1 goal. They worked hard and if not for a crossbar, bouncing pucks and some poor passing, they should have had 3 if not 4 goals. Moir did what he had to, but was fooled repeatily and got big breaks. That was it for RD

The rest of the game was all Swift and the turn around was due to one thing and one thing only, the combination of skating harder faster and the Rebs deciding to stand still. Swift controlled the play and it couldn't be more obvious, especially after their 2nd goal, an easy open netter on the PP. This was in fact a 2 man PP as everyone in the rink knew and made the call on Flatters as he tried to take a stick after losing his. What a dumb penalty! That sunk the Rebs and they really never recovered.

The Rebel tape sees me giving this game a 5, only because of the great first period and so so 2nd, forget about the 3rd.

On a further note, I hope Hanson gets back soon as the Rebel D is awful. Between Flatters, Frere and Mihilak I've seen then make great passes, but not to our guys. As I read on another teams site, the Rebels should make the big dman wear a different number other than 3. For a big guy, that cant skate, or rush the puck, he should be playing physical, but instead, plays passive. Where is Moore?......Just because you draft a guy doesnt mean you have to continue playing him.

On a positive note, the play of Brandon is great, and he just might be the 1st Sutter ever to get a diving penalty!!!

Broncs in RD
10-22-2005, 06:13 AM
Mihalyuuukkkk I couldn't believe this kid with so much hype and that is what I got to see....and to wear #3 I have to shake my head at that one. Brandon(sp) Sutter is awesome although I cheer for Swift when they come to town I was cheering for him last night. He is a great player has all the tools what a great hockey player.

tiny
10-22-2005, 09:38 AM
I too would give this game a 5 because it gave me hope. I saw a period of hockey that looked like we are headed in the right direction.

I was very impressed with the first period. I saw heads-up passing, good hits, good forechecking, good shots, and some players even crashing the net. The boys were inches away (posts) from a well deserved three or four goal lead.

I think the teams must have switched jerseys after the first period. Rebel 39 seems to be dumping most of the blame on the D-men. From where I sat, the forwards deserve just as much criticism for their performance after the first period. Many of them weren't skating, hitting or in position to recieve a pass. The whole team played like they had eggs in their pockets.

I will listen to the radio and hope the team from the first period shows up for this one. "With that hope that springs eternal"

Rebrevs
10-22-2005, 09:56 AM
It probably WAS the first time a Sutter has ever taken a diving penalty but it sure wasn't a dive. It was one of those situations where the Swift Current guy lifted his stick and clipped both of Sutters feet at the same time. Sutter went down like a rock but that is what happens when you don't have any feet to stand on!!!!! The only thing I can imagine that could have happened for the Ref to make that call is that he was right on top of the play. Sometimes when you are TOO close you lose clarity. Sutter is a pretty respectful kid but he sure wasn't happy about the call.

D.A.
10-24-2005, 06:19 AM
To call Mihalik "god awful" and a "disgrace" is vastly unfair. For starters, you're talking about an 18-year-old kid. No one on any junior team should be trashed like that. Second, he's a guy that is not only learning the WHL game, but is also figuring out our culture and language. Give him a friggin' break and let him develop without being insulted.