PDA

View Full Version : Rebels 5 Wheat Kings 1: Random comments

Rebel66
01-29-2005, 02:17 AM
Not much time tonight so only a relatively small offering!

Pretty serious incident with about four minutes left in the first period. Jonathon Webb was stretchered off wearing a full neck brace and spinal support after a hit by the Rebels Pieper. The play looked totally innocuous to me but I would have to see a replay to know what happened for sure. Anyway once the ref had seen the extent of the injury he decided to give Pieper a five and a game. It really didn't seem like a play that deserved that sort of punishment, scary as the injury was to the player, but like I said I'd like to see it again but having a real opinion on it. Anyone else have a better view of what happened? Any Brandon fans have an update on the players condition?

The game itself was sloppy at first but a rout by the end of the game.

Brandon have had a horrible road trip through Alberta so far losing three games by a combined margin of 18-4! Ouch!

Scoring for the Rebels were Colin Fraser, celebrating his 20th birthday, with the hat trick, Roman Wick, and Chris Neiszner who opened the scoring. Ty Morris continued his stellar play with four assists giving him 35 points in only 24 games for the Rebels. (Averaging that out over a season nets him 105 points. Wish we'd had him sooner!)

Replying for the Wheaties was WHL leading scorer Eric Fehr, who else?, chipping in with his 41st goal of the campaign.

Andrew Leslie was solid in goal for the Rebels. He made a number of good saves none moreso than stopping Brandon on a 2 on 0 break with the score tied at one. He even reminded me of Cam Ward a few times and that can only be a good thing. He does let a few juicy rebounds out but all in all he's seems a solid tender to me, certainly a big upgrade for the team. He's going to challenge Festa for the starting job for sure. After all, he even stopped a few dump ins from centre! :) (Sorry Gerry. Low blow I know....)
Leslie now has four wins for the team in as many starts.

I thought that Cam Lilley had easily his best game as a Rebel tonight. He was hussling all night and created lots of good things in the offensive end. Sutter rewarded him with powerplay and PK time. Great to see.

Lots of good performances for the Rebels though. Obviously Fraser and Morris had superb nights, as did Wick.
Neiszner was up there again. He is performing very well on a consistant basis now.
Phaneuf had no points but was a force as usual. Finished with a plus 4 on the night.
Tanner Gillies had a good game too coming, oh so, close to a first career goal not once but twice. Firstly he had a goal waved off because the whistle had gone (it had) then he just missed converting the puck after good play by Cam Lilley.

For the Wheatkings there was little positive in any performances tonight. Nothing positive I can really note anyway. This is a hurting team right now, for whatever reason. Hopefully they can turn it around in Calgary on Sunday and I sincerely mean that! Come on boys!

Next up for the Rebels is a visit from the Prince George Cougars who lost 3-2 in Calgary tonight. Even though the Rebels defeated that team on their last visit I still think they owe them something after the beating they handed the Rebels in PG (9-2 defeat.) Hope the team thinks so too...

Best wishes to the injured Brandon player. Any news from Wheat Kings fans would be appreciated.

Tinner
01-29-2005, 08:39 AM
...the medics towards the end of the game and they said that he was taken to hospital for precautionary measures. He complained of a sore neck, with a pinching sensation, but had full movement of all extremities. Bit of a fusiness.

Anyway, from my viewpoint, it didn't look like a big hit, but more so how aukwardly he fell into the boards. I think even the Brandon people were surprised a penalty was called.

That said, Rehman is a terrible ref, his ego is bigger than the game and I'm sure he beleives everyone in the rink came to watch him. He made some good calls, only because he was within 20 feet of the play. On most of his other calls, I'm sure they were emailed to him becuase he was so far behind the play.

Your analysis of Brandons play is dead on. They look like a team that wants to go home and they are only just starting a long road trip :)

D.A.
01-29-2005, 10:01 AM
I also wanted to comment on Lilley's play tonight. The other new guys (Leslie, Rome, Pieper and Morris) have all looked great, but Lilley was sort of a disappointment for me before last night. He showed lots of hustle and plenty of skill with the puck. Here's hoping he keeps it up now!

Rebel66
01-29-2005, 11:31 AM
I also wanted to comment on Lilley's play tonight. The other new guys (Leslie, Rome, Pieper and Morris) have all looked great, but Lilley was sort of a disappointment for me before last night. He showed lots of hustle and plenty of skill with the puck. Here's hoping he keeps it up now!
Up to this point it's been easy to simply consider Lilley to be almost a throw in on a steal of a deal for Ty Morris. If Cam Lilley continues to perform at a standard such as last night then the deal becomes absolute daylight robbery. Sutter does seem like a master at deals such as this. That's why he is the best in the biz imo.

D.A.
01-29-2005, 01:54 PM
In my opinion, this trade was robbery even without Lilley. And if Leslie continues to play as he has, that trade looks very good as well. Rome & Pieper for Jones and Herman is still a bit of a toss-up at this point (at least for me), but I'm pretty sure time will show that Sutter won this one as well.

Speaking of trades, here's something I posted on another board a while back:

Three trades by Sutter from the past year were met with questions. Let's look at them again:

1. Rebels trade Mercer (87), Gomez (87), Barkwell (87) and Dietrich (87) to Moose Jaw for PP Lamoureux (87), M Lamoureux (86), Klym (86), and Gillies (87). Still to early to call, really. Mercer is developing very well in MJ and Dietrich is playing regularly. Barkwell is still on their list, I believe, but Gomez has been dropped. On the other side, the Rebels are regularly using the 17-year-olds PP Lamoureux and Gillies. We'll have to wait and see how the younger ones develop.

2. Rebels trade Marjamaki to Moose Jaw for Johnson. Some would argue this one, but I believe at this point, Red Deer has won this. They are about even in production this year, but Marjamaki takes up one of those precious Euro spots. Since Red Deer doesn't have Masi, they were able to add Roman Wick. And I believe there's a better chance of Johnson returning next year than Marjamaki.

3. Rebels trade Dittmer, a 1st rounder (#16), a 2nd rounder, a 6th rounder, and a 7th rounder to Brandon for a 1st rounder (#6), a 5th rounder, and a 7th rounder. The later picks don't mean a lot, so it looks like Dittmer and a 2nd rounder in order to move up 10 spots in the draft and get Brandon Sutter. So far, Sutter looks like he'll be a good one. Hard to say how that 2nd rounder will turn out, but Dittmer hasn't gone quite like Brandon hoped. After only 4 points (all assists, all on the PP) in the first quarter of the season, Dittmer has left the team to go back to midget. Despite the outcry over this trade, it looks like it may work out for Red Deer after all.