PDA

View Full Version : Sutter makes another trade to Kamloops

Red celtic
10-27-2005, 07:20 PM
I was told by a reliable source that Sutter traded Ashton Rome to Kamloops for Chapmen and Versteeg not sure if there are any draft picks involved.

Chipper
10-27-2005, 07:32 PM
Blazers Acquire Rome

October 27th, 2005 - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

BLAZERS ACQUIRE ROME

KAMLOOPS, BC - The Kamloops Blazers completed a trade today with the Red Deer Rebels which sees the Blazers acquire 20-year-old RW Ashton Rome (ROHM), who is a 4th round selection of the Boston Bruins in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, plus a 5th round selection in the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft in exchange for 19-year-old RW Kris Versteeg and 20-year-old D Brennan Chapman.

Rome is in his 4th WHL season, having played 219 career games and posting 50 goals and 115 points in both Moose Jaw, where he started his career, and Red Deer. In the playoffs, Rome has played 30 games, scoring 10 goals and 14 points.

Rome, a 6'2", 202-pound native of Nesbitt, MB, had 11 goals and 17 points in 14 games this season with the Rebels and scored a goal against the Blazers in Wednesday's 5-2 Kamloops win.

Rome, who officially turns 20 on December 31st, will meet up with the club on this road trip and is scheduled to be in the lineup on Friday against the Lethbridge Hurricanes.

The move leaves the Blazers with 22 players on their roster: 14 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 2 goaltenders.

Ashton Rome - Regular Season Stats
Season Team GP G A PTS PIM
2002-03 WHL Season Moose Jaw Warriors 61 5 10 15 103
2003-04 WHL Season Moose Jaw Warriors 72 15 22 37 139
2004-05 WHL Season Moose Jaw Warriors 41 10 17 27 84
2004-05 WHL Season Red Deer Rebels 31 9 10 19 39
TOTALS 72 19 27 46 123
2005-06 WHL Season Red Deer Rebels 14 11 6 17 27
219 50 65 115 392

Ashton Rome - Playoff Stats
Season Team GP G A PTS PIM
2003 WHL Playoffs Moose Jaw Warriors 13 1 1 2 6
2004 WHL Playoffs Moose Jaw Warriors 10 6 2 8 18
2005 WHL Playoffs Red Deer Rebels 7 3 1 4 14
30 10 4 14 38

- 05 -

RDRebelsfan
10-27-2005, 07:34 PM
it is confirmed on the WHL website......

this trade i like...you knew something had to have to of been happening since our D has got thin, Chapman is a good d man and versteeg can score goals.

Rome is gone, he was doing well kinda sucks to lose him.

Courtney is a happy now lol.

New captain who will it be? I say give it to Walker!!

Rebrevs
10-27-2005, 07:55 PM
I am absolutely dead set against Walker being named captain. This is a crucial decision at this point in time. Walker plays beneath his ability level on a regular basis. We need someone who is a grinding worker. I would like to see Vandemeer as the captain. Rome also, was not the answer. Too much inconsistency. I like the trades. Sorry to see Paul go, however.

RDRebelsfan
10-27-2005, 08:11 PM
I am absolutely dead set against Walker being named captain. This is a crucial decision at this point in time. Walker plays beneath his ability level on a regular basis. We need someone who is a grinding worker. I would like to see Vandemeer as the captain. Rome also, was not the answer. Too much inconsistency. I like the trades. Sorry to see Paul go, however.

As a captain you need to set an example, not by who plays the best...you need to be a leader ON and OFF the ice, something Rome wasn't!!

I wouldn't be against Vandermeer as the C, but imo Walker can show the leadership skills.

Rebrevs
10-27-2005, 08:32 PM
I agree with the Rome trade. I said "Rome was NOT the answer" I have heard similar rumors but prefer not to dwell on them.

Nature Boy
10-27-2005, 08:32 PM
I am happy to see Rome traded. He is a very inconsistent player. He started off the season very crappy and then he got really hot on the road trip. Since then he hasn't done much of anything. I am happy to see him traded. I wish him well in Kamloops. I think that getting Versteeg was a good deal. He will definately help our scoring. Chapman is a good 20yr old defenceman. He always played good against us when he played in Lethbridge. As for the Kootenay deal I thinnk it is a good one as well. I am sad to see Paul go though. He was playing pretty well except for a few games. I think that having the cousins playing together will be a great thing. Brett will bring a scoring touch to the Rebels as well. I am not surprised to see any of these trades happen given the way the team has been playing lately.

scamperdog
10-27-2005, 08:41 PM
Versteeg you will like, I thought Chapman was a little slow in decsion making and got caught a few times, not the best twenty year around, know can we through in our coach to he would make a good water or stick boy!

Tinner
10-27-2005, 09:15 PM
vandermeer has the necessary attributes to be the captain. my only concern would be time missed, especially because he is injury prone.

playa
10-27-2005, 09:33 PM
Vandy is a great leader on the ice with his hard work (whenever he's healthy). My only concern is off the ice leadership. I think putting a C on any of the boys will be a tough decision, but I'd lean to Vandermeer over Walker. I also think the extra A will go to Pieper.

Red celtic
10-27-2005, 11:14 PM
I think Sutter is going to fool a lot of people and make Hanson captain. Vandy is to injury prone and might play in 40 games this year and Walker has to become more of a consistant player before he can be a captain.

Rebel66
10-27-2005, 11:18 PM
I think Sutter is going to fool a lot of people and make Hanson captain. Vandy is to injury prone and might play in 40 games this year and Walker has to become more of a consistant player before he can be a captain.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Much as I like Vandy, and think he would be a good captain, he does get injured way too often to take on the main leadership role. Hanson has the experience and is a steady influence back there. Makes sense to me.

edit: Looks like we were wrong as Teddy has already been named the Captain. Good for him. He is a favourite of mine, as all Vandemeers have been. I just hope we get to see him play more often, injury free. Congrats Teddy.

RDRebelsfan
10-28-2005, 12:41 AM
I agree with the Rome trade. I said "Rome was NOT the answer" I have heard similar rumors but prefer not to dwell on them.

well i originally poste don here some dirt on Rome, but with the request of unnamed person he asked me to remove it and I did. If you want to know...just PM me.

peatfan
10-28-2005, 01:07 AM
They sure improved their team with the three trades. Wasn't impressed with the play of FLatters, Kurceba or Rome this year. All three can play better and probably will in their new enviroment. As for the players coming in-another Sutter will never hurt your team, Versteg has talent and can be a pain in the ass to play against and Chapman is a solid defensive type while Egener has good a solid future. Rebels will be better this year and in the future with these trades. I knew Brent will do something to improve his team. Am looking forward to the next time you guys come to Calgary(Nov. 20) or we go up there(not until Feb). Should be a more spirited contest. HITMEN will still win(naturally) but the Rebels will be a lot tougher to play against. Good luck until then. :spineyes:

Rebel66
10-28-2005, 02:33 AM
HITMEN will still win(naturally)

Hey, what's been around, comes around. It's the Hitmen's turn in the sun. I'm ok with that for now. I've enjoyed the (fairly) recent playoff success against the Hitties so I can take a few regular season losses!