PDA

View Full Version : Rebels Trade Rome to Blzers for Versteeg and and Chapman

Sabes
10-27-2005, 07:43 PM
The Red Deer Rebels Hockey Club announced today that they have acquired 19-year old forward Kris Versteeg and 20-year old defenceman Brennan Chapman from the Kamloops Blazers in exchange for 20-year old forward Ashton Rome and a 5th round draft pick in the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft.

http://whl.ca/news/?id=3315

scamperdog
10-27-2005, 08:35 PM
October 27th, 2005 - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

BLAZERS ACQUIRE ROME

KAMLOOPS, BC - The Kamloops Blazers completed a trade today with the Red Deer Rebels which sees the Blazers acquire 20-year-old RW Ashton Rome (ROHM), who is a 4th round selection of the Boston Bruins in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, plus a 5th round selection in the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft in exchange for 19-year-old RW Kris Versteeg and 20-year-old D Brennan Chapman.

Rome is in his 4th WHL season, having played 219 career games and posting 50 goals and 115 points in both Moose Jaw, where he started his career, and Red Deer. In the playoffs, Rome has played 30 games, scoring 10 goals and 14 points.

Rome, a 6'2", 202-pound native of Nesbitt, MB, had 11 goals and 17 points in 14 games this season with the Rebels and scored a goal against the Blazers in Wednesday's 5-2 Kamloops win.

Rome, who officially turns 20 on December 31st, will meet up with the club on this road trip and is scheduled to be in the lineup on Friday against the Lethbridge Hurricanes.

The move leaves the Blazers with 22 players on their roster: 14 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 2 goaltenders.

Ashton Rome - Regular Season Stats
Season Team GP G A PTS PIM
2002-03 WHL Season Moose Jaw Warriors 61 5 10 15 103
2003-04 WHL Season Moose Jaw Warriors 72 15 22 37 139
2004-05 WHL Season Moose Jaw Warriors 41 10 17 27 84
2004-05 WHL Season Red Deer Rebels 31 9 10 19 39
TOTALS 72 19 27 46 123
2005-06 WHL Season Red Deer Rebels 14 11 6 17 27
219 50 65 115 392

Ashton Rome - Playoff Stats
Season Team GP G A PTS PIM
2003 WHL Playoffs Moose Jaw Warriors 13 1 1 2 6
2004 WHL Playoffs Moose Jaw Warriors 10 6 2 8 18
2005 WHL Playoffs Red Deer Rebels 7 3 1 4 14
30 10 4 14 38

- 05 -

Sign up today for the Blazers newsletter and get all the news right in your mailbox
Name:
Email:

© 2001 - 2005 Kamloops Blazers Hockey Club. All Rights Reserved Webs

IamBatman
10-28-2005, 05:07 PM
I think the Rebels got a steal here. A 4th rounder for Versteeg(I thought he was awesome when they were in Kelowna) and a 20 year old? I may be wrong.(more then likely) ;)

scamperdog
10-29-2005, 09:25 AM
Rome makes Blazers bigger and stronger (kamloopsnews.ca)
by Gregg Drinnan

Ashton Rome was more than a little surprised to find himself driving from Red Deer to Medicine Hat on Thursday evening.

But that is exactly where he was as he prepared to meet his new teammates with the WHL’s Kamloops Blazers.

“I’m OK,” said Rome, a right-winger, as he approached the outskirts of the Alberta city where the Blazers are holed up before finishing a four-game swing.

Rome, who turns 20 on Dec. 31, is from Nesbitt, Man. He will be in the lineup tonight against the Hurricanes in Lethbridge. He said he was “very surprised” when he learned that the Red Deer Rebels had traded him to the Blazers for defenceman Brennan Chapman, 20, and right-winger Kris Versteeg, 19. The Blazers also got a fifth-round pick in the 2007 bantam draft.

The Blazers had acquired Chapman and Versteeg from Lethbridge in early September for left-winger Kris Hogg and defenceman Kalvin Sagert.

“Obviously, he has been identified as one of if not the best 20-year-olds in the league,” Kamloops head coach Mark Ferner said of Rome. “He’s been a captain for two hockey teams and one of them was a Brent Sutter team. I don’t think you can go wrong there.”

Sutter, the GM and head coach of the Rebels, acquired Rome from the Moose Jaw Warriors last season and named him captain prior to this season.

“He’s a 6-foot-2, 205-pound guy who plays hard, plays with an edge,” Ferner said. “He can do it all; I really believe he can do it all.”

This wasn’t the first time that Dean Clark, the Blazers’ general manager, tried to land Rome.

“Teams we’ve had trouble with all have had big defencemen and we found we had a hard time penetrating,” Clark said, explaining why he pushed hard for Rome this time.

In 14 games, Rome, a fourth-round pick of the Boston Bruins in the NHL’s 2004 draft, has 17 points, including 11 goals, and 27 penalty minutes.

“Size, leadership,” Rome replied when asked what he brings the Blazers. “And I’ve been finding the net a lot this season. Hopefully, I can provide a spark and maybe some scoring.”

Rome doesn’t know anyone on the Blazers and admitted to being at least a bit apprehensive about joining a new team, even though the experience isn’t new.

“It doesn’t (get easier) at all,” he said of being traded. “Last time I got traded with a teammate (left-winger Karey Pieper); this time I’m by myself so it’s a little harder.”

He also admitted that he quite liked it in Red Deer.

“It’s a great rink,” he said. “They upgraded the dressing room this year and made the guys feel at home … great coaching staff … great group of players.”

Rome likely will skate on a line with centre Janick Steinmann and left-winger Terrance Delaronde tonight. The Blazers’ other top two lines feature Reid Jorgensen between Brock Nixon and T.J. Mulock, and Kevin Hayman between Matt Kassian and Moises Gutierrez.

With Chapman gone, the Blazers, who beat the Rebels 5-2 on Wednesday, will play tonight with five defencemen. Victor Bartley will miss his second game with a concussion.

“We’re going to have to buckle down and get through this weekend,” Ferner said. “With (Chapman) gone, that leaves us with six (defencemen). Inevitably, we’ve got to go get another one.”

For now, Garrett Thiessen, 16, will play a more important role.

“He played a lot (against Red Deer),” Ferner said. “He played 4-on-4. He killed penalties. He fared well. He did simple things and he was a plus-2. He was fine.

“But we’re going to have to get another established guy if we’re planning on making some noise.”

JUST NOTES: Versteeg had 12 points, including six goals, in 14 games for the Blazers, but three of those goals came in the season-opener … Chapman had five assists in 15 games … The Blazers conclude their four-game swing on Saturday against the Tigers in Medicine Hat … Kamloops’ next home game is Wednedsay against the Calgary Hitmen … Sutter named RW Ted Vandermeer the Rebels’ captain, replacing Rome … The Rebels also added a third Sutter to their roster, acquiring LW Brett Sutter, 18, from the Kootenay Ice for D Paul Kurceba, 18. Sutter is the son of Calgary Flames GM/head coach Darryl Sutter, meaning he is Brent’s nephew. C Brandon Sutter, Brent’s son, is in his first season with the Rebels.

bobb
11-08-2005, 04:23 PM
I don't understand the Blazers. They have been doing bad trades since they got rid of Annesley a few years back. (I know that wasn't Clark) Forget a change in Coaches. Time for a new GM! Terrible trade IMO

scamperdog
11-08-2005, 08:26 PM
With Rome I think you have to give him a chance, lets face it he came here with the team in the trash can and about to be emptied, on the weekend he played ok, does seem to dissappear at times but seems to be more of a team player than Versteeg, as for Clark he is doing the blazer thing trades we all wonder about, seems to becoming a blazer tradition, but he has been able to sign the draft picks and that is a big part of the picture to, I would say he has been a much improved since he gave up being a coach/gm, except maybe when it comes to hiring coaches, but I am sure you have seen everybodys opion about that :wave: