PDA

View Full Version : Boogard / King tilt?

HAF
10-29-2005, 12:59 AM
Anyone have a recap?

scamperdog
10-29-2005, 09:29 AM
Saturday, October 29, 2005

Streaking Cats run into roadblock

by JASON PETERS Citizen staff (princegeorgecitizen.com)
by JASON PETERS
Citizen staff

The streak has been stopped.

The Prince George Cougars, who had won six consecutive games heading into a Friday night encounter with the Tri-City Americans, lost 4-3 in front of 3,332 fans at CN Centre.

The Cats appeared to be on the way to yet another victory after Kirk Meaver's first goal of the season gave them a 3-2 lead at the 5:31 mark of the third period. But, Tri-City fought back with the tying goal and the game-winner in a 64-second span later in the period. Both goals were by Tri-City's Slovakian import players — Juraj Gracik with the equalizing tally on a power play and linemate Igor Bacek with the winner. On Bacek's goal, he was allowed to walk out of the corner of the rink and tuck the puck between the post and the leg of goaltender Real Cyr.

The Americans, despite new rules designed to speed up the pace of games, managed to bog the Cougars down for much of the night.

Special teams were a difference in the contest, as the Americans went 1-for-3 on the power play and the Cougars were 0-for-7. In beating the Cougars, the Americans halted a streak of their own, a four-game losing skid. For Tri-City, the victory was also its first road win of the year.

Tri-City head coach Don Nachbaur, a native of Prince George, was happy with his team's performance. Tri-City players put forward a determined effort all game. When the Cougars had a power play late in the third with a chance to tie, the Americans were throwing their bodies in front of shots so goaltender Carey Price would not have to face them. In the final few seconds, with Cyr on the bench in favour of an extra attacker, Price himself came up huge with a pad stop on Nick Drazenovic to preserve the win.

"I think we were pretty solid in a lot of areas," Nachbaur said. "We had to kill a lot of penalties, and that's an area that is a concern every night. You'd like to have a few more power plays, but I thought five-on-five we did a remarkable job. I thought we protected our net real well too. Carey was outstanding too, and that always helps."

Nachbaur said Price — a first-round draft pick of the Montreal Canadiens — has not played up to a high standard at times this season.

"Some of our key players haven't been on top of their game and Carey's one of them," Nachbaur said. "I think if you ask him, he'd be the first to say he can play better. But, predominantly, he's a slow starter. He was more like himself (Friday) than he has been his last three or four starts."

At the other end of the rink, Cyr was making his first start in almost a month.

"I thought Cyr battled hard," Cougars assistant coach Stew Malgunas said. "They had tons of quality chances in my estimation. I feel terrible for Real, I know how bad he wanted to win. In my opinion, our D hung him out to dry."

Eric Hunter of the Cougars opened the scoring at 7:12 of the second period on a play that started with a horrible Tri-City line change. With the Americans heading to their bench for a change on the fly during a power play, the Cougars gained control of the puck in the neutral zone. A two-on-one developed, Blair Stengler and Hunter on offence for the Cats. Stengler fed a pass to Hunter, who pulled off a pretty deke on Price for the goal. Phil Magistrale responded for the Americans at the 17:58 mark when he zipped home an uncontested wrist shot from the slot.

In the third, Hunter, with his 11th of the season, restored the Prince George lead with a slick backhander to the top corner. Matt Schneider of the Americans then deadlocked the game, only to see Meaver cash in on Price.

The Americans outshot the Cougars 30-29. With the loss, Prince George now has a record of 10-5-0. Tri-City, meanwhile, bumped its record to 4-7-0.

The same two teams are back on CN Centre ice tonight at 7:30.

KITTY LITTER: The most entertaining part of the opening frame was a scrap off the opening faceoff between Randy King of the Cougars and Aaron Boogaard of the Americans. The two were chatting before the puck even dropped and battled to a draw once the gloves were off. The game was the start of a five-game homestand for the Cougars. The Cats were missing defenceman Andy Rogers (ankle injury) for the second-straight game.

©Copyright 2005 Prince George Citizen
Back

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Homer
10-29-2005, 10:24 AM
Here's your recap.....Boogaard wins, King loses. Simple as that. Randy showed up but he was outclassed by Boogaard. No real damage done but a decisive win.