PDA

View Full Version : Giants vs. Tips Saturday Oct. 29

GF71
10-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Well....they stunk it up once again. They badly out shot the 'tips AGAIN, but most were from the outside. Very few rebounds were pounced upon, no traffic in front of the net. Watching Scott Bonner shake his head in disgust most of the night pretty much says it all. Tommy T was pretty much hung out to dry most of the night. Everett's special teams are the main reason they dominated the Giants this weekend. Constantine is certainly looking like the better coach...to get a full buy-in into his system, and have a far less skilled team dismantle the Giants. The Giants also took A LOT of stupid penalties. Lazy penalties. The only one that I didn't really have a problem with is when Fistric took a roughing call early in the third. Tommy was run, and Fistric roughed a couple of tips up pretty good. Bad timing for sure, but I will never fault the Giants and especially Fisty for actually being aggressive in front of his own net. He has rarely asserted himself this season, so when it happens I have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Now, at the risk of getting myself in trouble, i have to vent a couple of things. For a player with an NHL contract, Festerling has hada pretty rough start to his season. He will play well for streches, but he has been giving the puck up alot, and missing assignments. I expect(ed) much more from a player who has an NHL contract. I also expect(ed) more from Watt as well. He hasn't been playing like he can and did last year. Far too many undisciplined penalties. He jumping of Fransoo at teh end of the game was not needed...it was the result of Fransoo slashing JD earlier in the game, but with no time left on the clock it was not needed. Franson, after a great start to the season has had a few bad games in a row now. He needs to pul himself out of his slump. I was pretty surprised to see him beaking the whole team at the end of the game. After watching Slade DOMINATE in Surrey last year, i expected much more from him. So far this year, his play has been very uneven and disappointing. Bilznak has also been pretty spotty, but I will give him a break as he is still getting used to being in North America and the WHL game. BUT scraching Czibere, Bliznak and especially Machachek last night was a mistake last night. A couple of the players that were in the line up last night, really shouldn't be with the team. Plugs, IMO.

For my money, Mikkelson and Flatters were the best Giants last night. Despite his best efforts, nobody would go with Flatters who was grinding it out all night. I was/am pretty upset that they traded away Egener, but they need the grit and toughness that Flatters provides. Mikkelson has a few great rushes, and it is just a matter of time before he gets results.

rinkrat
10-30-2005, 01:46 PM
I don't think Don Hay is even in Constantine's league! The players aren't responding to Hay,I'm starting to think he may be the weak link...

GF71
10-30-2005, 02:11 PM
I was thinking that last year. He does have a good record and all, but something just doesn't seem right. Not a single ex-player has had a single good thing to say about him, for whatever that is worth. Maybe it is a bitter pill? Who knows, but something is certainly amiss. Is is Hay? Is it a chemistry problem? Maybe they are just not that good?? I dunno, but something has to change, and fast. Nothing like hosting the cup next year and having basement dwelling team. Games in hand or not, they shouldn't be at the bottom.

Beaner
10-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Well no recap from me for this game as the feed was so bad I just turned it off. I would recommend not paying for the Everett feed until they get their act together.

Problems with the feed include;

1) Camera operator can NOT keep up to the play. Any time there was a rush up the ice, the players would just skate of the screen as the camera person slowly panned left or right. By the time they caught up the play was over or they were turning up ice, and the operator had to play catch up again.

2) Camera opertor or position does not allow you to see the play in the near corners. Spent a lot of time just staring at a few guys standing around waiting for the play to come out of the near corners. Basically you could just get the offensive zone face off dots to the edge of the net seen. Anything from that dot to the corner was out of picture. Terrible.

3) Got to watch a lot of happy B-Day Jimmy, Advertisements, Mascot handing out Flowers, DURING THE PLAY! Beyond frustrating. Even more annoying was during Special teams getting to see who was on the Fans PP/PK contest. Usually missed about the 15-25sec of each PP with that garbage.

I have read on other boards that the regular camera person for Everett is out but the person doing it now needs to practice, practice, practice. They have to be able to keep up to the play. If they can't keep up it's time to get someone who can. And get the camera panned so you can see the near corners. Come on, a lot of the action takes place in the corner gang.

Everett needs to have a seperate feed for their replay screen and their Internet broadcast. People are PAYING to watch the game now on the net, not to see whos bloody birthday it is. It was fine last year when it was free, but its not free anymore. When I pay to watch a game, I pay to watch the GAME, not a bunch of Replay board stuff that has nothing to do with the game at all. At least the fans in the building can choose to watch the game or the replay screen, broadcast people can't and its annoying.

Overall it was just not worth watching the feed period. If you were thinking of paying the 6$ to watch a game at Everett I caution you not to. Just listen on the radio instead.

Everett has done so well in so many marketing areas but this is a failing grade for them. Please get this fixed, so those of us PAYING to watch the GAME on the net can enjoy the game!

Big Daddy
10-30-2005, 08:14 PM
I think Don Hay is alot smarter than all of us. It is still very early in the season with us having 3-4 games in hand and we have a boat load of forwards still on the roster. Last nights game was a throw together as far as forwards go. There were many combinations of varying size, skill, and grit. I am sure the next week or so we will see trades and/or releases up front. Once this happens we will see more consistency with the lines. I'm sorry, but you do not play Lucic on a first unit powerplay when you are losing and you have other skilled vets on the bench if you are playing to win. As far as face offs we are brutal. We seldom win the big ones at the critical times and the resulting defensive zone fire drills are proof of that.
With the D, our strong suit is a good crisp tape to tape pass out of our end. This did not happen lately against the tips. This is a result of their excellent forecheck along with their speed and smarts, they read us like a book. Constantine also used a trap against us the first night that kept us from ever really setting up. Also, feel free to put someone on their ass occasionally and make guys like Mueller, Lammers, and Hamill pay a price to walk in on us.
Well, lets see what next week brings, good luck boys.

Tipped Off
11-04-2005, 02:12 PM
If any of you saw the scuffles between Wuchterl/Luci and Fransoo/Watt...I'd appreciate a recap. I do a fight card thread over on the Tips thread and I've been out of town for a week. Since it is a little off topic, if oyu don't want to post it, you can PM it to me.

thanks in advance & I'm glad you enjoyed the Tips barn. We are definately spoiled. Until 2 1/2 years ago I was attending games in the Key (T-birds). I thank God every time I visit the EEC I'm not in the Key...lol.