PDA

View Full Version : on a Different note...

frontrow fan
10-31-2005, 10:53 AM
The other nite my son was picked to skate in the opening line-up with the Rebels.. needless to say he was totally JACKED!! As anyone with a son who is an avid Rebels fan can imagine, for 3 days the bunch of us talked about nothing else. He bragged to his friends at school, at his own hockey game & practise.. he was syked!
Game day came, we hustled him to the Centrium, having to leave his own game early to get there in time, and got him ready to go. Garrett came and got him and took him to the new fancy door of the dressing room, took his picture, (never did get a copy of that) then was told to just jump into the line up when the guys came out of the dressing room. So he did, Teddy finally let him in the line up, 2nd from the end...He didn't get a picture with one of the team...(THAT SUCKS) he went out and skated his ceremonial 3 laps... heart pounding that he wouldn't wipe out or collide with any of his heroes! I was soooooo disappointed....not one player spoke to him, gave him a tap on the shin pad, a nod a jesture NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had noticed this the game before, the little guy that skated in the game before was left all by himself out there. Not one player talked to him, the poor little guy fell twice and no one even stopped to help him out, they just skated around him. My son is older and he was disappointed, imagine the 6 yr old. I realize these boys are in a slump, but they also have to realize that these kids idolize them! These are THEIR sports heroes. I think they could at least make an effort to include these little people in a 3 minute skate, include them in the team huddle, pat them on the back...say hi...WHATEVER!!
As a business the Rebels organization asks the community to support them, these kids buy tickets, jerseys, programs, souveniors etc....and my kid didn't even get a tap on the shin pad by one of his heroes!! Needless to say I was disappointed in them.. and then the game started............. :confused:
thanks for listening!!! (p.s. when they announced his name, they said he played Ringette....that really ticked him off!!!)

D.A.
10-31-2005, 01:19 PM
I'm not sure if the one I saw a couple games ago (Friday, I think) was either of the incidents you were talking about, but I noticed at the end, the kid went to go to the bench before the anthem and Brandon Sutter stopped him and directed him to where he should stand for the anthem. I thought that was OK.

But you're right - the team has been much kinder to the kids in previous years, it seems. Then again, we're dealing with a really young team that maybe doesn't have the maturity level of those previous teams...

frontrow fan
10-31-2005, 03:06 PM
Yes, I did see Brandon do that as well... that was nice. But the hole situation shows a lack of character that I think this team is missing... maybe that's why they are having trouble gelling as a team??!?!?!?
Anyways, the situation saddened me, and I hope that in the future, these kids will get more enjoyment out of their opportunity than my son did...

Rebel66
10-31-2005, 03:37 PM
Sorry to hear that your son's moment of fame was not as good as it should have been. It's funny that you should mention it too as my wife was saying at the last game that they (the players) just seemed to be leaving the little guys to their own devices whereas in previous years they seemed to make a better effort with the youngsters. Have you told the Rebels about your concerns? If not, I would bring it to the attention of someone like Joe Whitbread. (He has three young kids I believe so surely he would understand).

charlie
10-31-2005, 04:36 PM
i had an even worse experience. i have been trying to get into the pre game skate for about 5 years now...they finally to me to take a hike as i was just too old lol.

seriously, too bad about your little guy. our neighbours have alittle girl who is a goalie and her hero was cam ward...when she did the pre game skate she got to stand beside ward during the anthem and mimicked his every move. cam spent some time with her after the game and even remembered her during a skate with the rebels event...pretty impressive.

hockey4
10-31-2005, 05:41 PM
I definetly understand ur disappointment, however i also see the other side. The team at that time was in the midst of the longest losing streak in years, and there is a chance there minds were soley on the game, and you can not get mad at them for that. The rebels have an obligation to treat there fans with respect and comfort, however rookies and new players to the team are now the majority, and it will take time for them all to adjust to the tradition here in red deer. Like i said i feel ur disapointment for your child, however if the players are focused on the game, i can not fault them for that.

Tinner
10-31-2005, 06:34 PM
I think that a memo/note/email or phone call to Whitbread will make the world of difference. I aslo noticed that 1 little guy, during the anthem, was facing the wrong direction. As stated, this means the world to these kids and even 10 seconds of someones time (rebel player) makes all the difference. Winning streak/losing streak makes no difference to the kid and it shouldn't to the players.

RDRebelsfan
10-31-2005, 06:51 PM
The other nite my son was picked to skate in the opening line-up with the Rebels.. needless to say he was totally JACKED!! As anyone with a son who is an avid Rebels fan can imagine, for 3 days the bunch of us talked about nothing else. He bragged to his friends at school, at his own hockey game & practise.. he was syked!
Game day came, we hustled him to the Centrium, having to leave his own game early to get there in time, and got him ready to go. Garrett came and got him and took him to the new fancy door of the dressing room, took his picture, (never did get a copy of that) then was told to just jump into the line up when the guys came out of the dressing room. So he did, Teddy finally let him in the line up, 2nd from the end...He didn't get a picture with one of the team...(THAT SUCKS) he went out and skated his ceremonial 3 laps... heart pounding that he wouldn't wipe out or collide with any of his heroes! I was soooooo disappointed....not one player spoke to him, gave him a tap on the shin pad, a nod a jesture NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had noticed this the game before, the little guy that skated in the game before was left all by himself out there. Not one player talked to him, the poor little guy fell twice and no one even stopped to help him out, they just skated around him. My son is older and he was disappointed, imagine the 6 yr old. I realize these boys are in a slump, but they also have to realize that these kids idolize them! These are THEIR sports heroes. I think they could at least make an effort to include these little people in a 3 minute skate, include them in the team huddle, pat them on the back...say hi...WHATEVER!!
As a business the Rebels organization asks the community to support them, these kids buy tickets, jerseys, programs, souveniors etc....and my kid didn't even get a tap on the shin pad by one of his heroes!! Needless to say I was disappointed in them.. and then the game started............. :confused:
thanks for listening!!! (p.s. when they announced his name, they said he played Ringette....that really ticked him off!!!)

that sucks, sorry to hear that. I heard they announced him playing rignette and it was a boys name and I'm "since when do boys play rignette?"

that's harsh though, you have a reason to be upset.