PDA

View Full Version : Crosby Rookie of the Month

Beaner
11-02-2005, 04:10 PM
from, www.tsn.ca

NEW YORK (CP) - Pittsburgh Penguins centre Sidney Crosby has been named the NHL's rookie for the month for October after the 18-year-old had two goals and 12 assists in 11 games to start the season.

Crosby was chosen ahead of Washington Capitals forward Alexander Ovechkin, who had eight goals and five assists in 11 games, Los Angeles Kings goaltender Jason Labarbera, who posted a 6-1-0 record and a 1.70 goals-against average and New York Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist, who had a record of 5-2-0 and a GAA of 1.76.

Crosby, from Cole Harbour, N.S., had points in each of his first six games. He scored his first NHL goal and added two assists in a 7-6 overtime loss to Boston on Oct. 8.

The Penguins chose Crosby first overall in this year's NHL entry draft. Ovechkin, 20, was the first pick in the 2004 draft.

For my money I thought Ovechkin was going to get it. Playing on a team with a lot less talent around him, 2 less points in 1 less game than Crosby, a +1 for Ovechkin to a -4 for Crosby.

Even the 2 rookie golatenders have what I would call better numbers. Both are top 5 in GAA, top 3 in Save %, and have led their teams to the tops of their respective Divisions.

I understand the Crosby excitement, but I would hardly call him the rookie of the month for October.

hollcan
11-02-2005, 05:57 PM
How can the NHL not promote the "Savior" of the League. This will most likely ensure that a "No Hit' rule has been put out to the League for Crosby so the $$$$$ keeps rolling in.

Glassjaw
11-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Not to be anti Crosby but I agree with Beaner Ovechkin would have been my choice. Like you say hollcan Crosby is the "saviour" of the nhl, if he broke both his legs and didnt suit-up again this season he would still probably win the Calder trophy. I think he is quite a talent I just wish the media would stop ramming him down our throats. Just let the guy play.

LifelongChiefsFan
11-06-2005, 05:33 AM
RIGGED!!!!

Not like rookie of the month means anything though lol!

But the rom should have been Ovechkin or LaBarbera...or maybe i'm just biased because both are on my Yahoo fantasy team, and cuz LaBarbera was a Chief a few years ago.