PDA

View Full Version : Hitmen and Chiefs swap players

Triton
11-03-2005, 10:25 AM
The Spokane Chiefs have acquired 17-year-old Justin Falk from the Calgary Hitmen in exchange for 17-year-old forward Mike Reich. Falk is a 6’5”, 200 pound defenseman who is +2 with two assists in five games this year with the Hitmen. The Snowflake, Manitoba native appeared in four games last season with Calgary.

“We’re looking forward to Justin joining our team,” Chiefs General Manager Tim Speltz said. “He has great size, competes hard and will be a good addition to our club.”

Reich is in his second year in the WHL and played in seven games this season after appearing in 39 as a 16-year-old rookie in 2004-05. Reich registered two goals, one assist and 64 penalty minutes last year and one assist and 17 penalty minutes this season.

“This should be a good opportunity for Mike and we wish him the best of luck,” Speltz said.

The Chiefs will be at home with two games this weekend when they host the Portland Winter Hawks on Real Country Night presented by Real Country K102 and Tri-City on Saturday night. Saturday, the first 5,000 fans through the gates will receive a pair of CheerStix courtesy of Coca-Cola on Buck Night. Fans will enjoy $1 Coca-Cola products, Hot Dogs and Popcorn.

Saturday will also be the first of six games that Les Schwab will present coverage of the Chiefs on Comcast. The game will air live on channel 12 on Comcast and be re-aired the next day. The game will also be made available on Comcast's Video On Demand service.

Mileflames
11-03-2005, 10:41 AM
http://whl.ca/stats/player.php?id=23577

Mike Reich - C
5'10 - 178

In 39 games last year had 2 goals and 3 points along with 64PIM. This year he has one point and 17PIM. I don't see Mike being the answer to the Hitmens need for putting the puck in the next consistently.

Justin Falk
6'5 - 205

Has a +2 this year in 5 games. I liked Falk last year in the playoffs but I have yet to see a game he play this year.

http://whl.ca/stats/player.php?id=24321

Mileflames
11-03-2005, 03:30 PM
Riley Merkley C
Ryan White C
Darryl Moscaluk C
Lukas Vantuch C
Brett Sonne C
Brodie Dupont C

I don't see Mike Reich getting to much work right now.

Triton
11-03-2005, 04:13 PM
Riley Merkley C
Ryan White C
Darryl Moscaluk C
Lukas Vantuch C
Brett Sonne C
Brodie Dupont C

I don't see Mike Reich getting to much work right now.

Maybe another deal is in the works or they will try him on a wing,or others on the wing.

Hitmen1
11-03-2005, 07:01 PM
I just heard Curle on the fan and he said Reich will play tomorrow night. Kisio likes his skill, apparently he was asked to be more of a gritty, fighter type in Spokane. Ryan White and Dansereau played with him at U18s last year in Lethbridge.

peatfan
11-04-2005, 02:52 AM
So that leaves it down to 4 centers. Deines also plays the middle or the wing. Lately Vantuch has been on the right side of White and looks more at ease there. So we have #1 White, #2 Merkley, #3 Sonne, #4 either Deines or Reich. More of a depth player this year but he will be around for 2 more years after this. Hate to see Falk go but he wasn't going to play much this year so he will probably be better of out west on a regular shift.

Mileflames
11-04-2005, 11:07 AM
http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2005/11/04/1292127-sun.html

The Calgary Hitmen blueline was too deep.

The Chiefs selected Reich with the eighth pick (one before Calgary took Keegan Dansereau) in the 2003 Bantam Draft.

RunTheGoalie
11-04-2005, 04:36 PM
So that leaves it down to 4 centers. Deines also plays the middle or the wing. Lately Vantuch has been on the right side of White and looks more at ease there. So we have #1 White, #2 Merkley, #3 Sonne, #4 either Deines or Reich. More of a depth player this year but he will be around for 2 more years after this. Hate to see Falk go but he wasn't going to play much this year so he will probably be better of out west on a regular shift.

The way Dave Rowe was talking in the updates yesterday suggests that Reich is not being brought in as a depth player, but as a guy who has the potential to help our scoring woes.

It was mentioned that he fared quite well with Dansereau and White (iirc) on the World U-18s, so I wouldnt be surprised if those three end up on a line together at some point tonight.