PDA

View Full Version : Game Tonight vs PG

Tinner
01-29-2005, 11:19 PM
I thought the 1st was very entertaining as the Rebs threw everything at PG yet couldn't score. On a fluke play PG went ahead and the tempo swung a bit. When 10 secs. left a line brawl broke out after a PG player (Deines) nailed a Reb for a major penalty. I don't think there were any clear winners.

The 2nd period, I thought, was a yawner. PG tried to run the rebs out of the rink and constantly took penalties, but an aneimic Rebel power play couldn't take advantage.

The 3rd was much the same, but RD pressed harder and finally on the pp, got a goal to tie it up on a very selfish penalty by Feakes. Vandermeer stepped around Wishart as he fell and went in alone to make it 3-2. Empty netter for a 4-2 win.

BIG_CLAW
01-30-2005, 02:14 AM
Andrew Guess (the ref) was 1,2 and 3 star .Rebels going nowhere in playoffs if they need over 20mins. in powerplay time to win. I guess the home fans just see it with your homer glasses on .

Rebel66
01-30-2005, 02:20 AM
Andrew Guess (the ref) was 1,2 and 3 star .Rebels going nowhere in playoffs if they need over 20mins. in powerplay time to win. I guess the home fans just see it with your homer glasses on .

Just wondering. Did you attend the game?

BIG_CLAW
01-30-2005, 02:41 AM
no but when our coach says it was the worst officiated game he has ever seen and you guys say nothing about it (smells like homers)

Red celtic
01-30-2005, 03:00 AM
Your boys were the most undisciplined group I have seen in a long time. Not sure they will make the playoffs if they can't stay out of the box. They could have been two players for most of the game the way thet played. Sounds like your coach has sour grapes.

Rebel66
01-30-2005, 03:08 AM
no but when our coach says it was the worst officiated game he has ever seen and you guys say nothing about it (smells like homers)

Ah ok. Well sorry if you think that we're all homers. I hadn't even given my opinion before being labelled that way but here is my opinion, but you're not going to like it, and you will think that I'm a homer after giving it. Oh well...

I was sick at the Cougars play tonight. If your coach is annoyed with the officiating perhaps he should tell his players to quit boarding players, slashing, hacking, running interferance, punches after the whistle at every opportunity and perhaps he'll like the officiating better. Calgary fans were complaining about the Cougars play from the night before so its not just the Rebels either. It was the worst display of goonery I've seen in a few seasons (no joke). The Rebels fans actually were mad at the referee believing that he didn't call enough on the Cougars so it wasn't even biased enough for them. Not saying that the Rebels are complete angels either. They're absolutely not but the Cougars level was way above anything I've seen for a while. The referee did miss stuff both ways and completely messed up on some calls. He's not a good referee but there have been far worse displays of officiating than witnessed tonight. Possibly if the shoe was on the other foot I'd feel differently but I don't know.

I usually try and write a recap and comments on games trying to be relatively positive and fairly unbiased (as much as a die hard Rebels fan can be) but tonight I honestly couldn't be bothered because I really have nothing good to say about Prince George's play. Check out the WHL white board, I think there are recaps of mine going back years. I have no problem praising an opposition team for good play, even the dreaded Hitmen. However there was no chance of any praise forthcoming for the Cougars tonight.

Anyway, nuff said. There's my seriously biased opinion. It might smell but that's honestly what I feel. If your coach thinks that was the worst officiated game ever he really has the power to try and control his players better so they don't take dumb and needless penalties.

D.A.
01-30-2005, 08:18 AM
I have to agree. I haven't seen a group of thugs like that for a long time. The only other teams that compare over the last 6 or 7 years are Medicine Hat (3ish years ago) and Regina (a year or two before that). The crowd got plenty of booing time in on Guest last night, as there were several more incidents that could have been called. And Sutter was very upset several times as well (we could hear him on the opposite side of the rink in the upper bowl) - if there's one thing he can't stand, it's the opposition taking runs at his players. How many times in the game did we have someone laying on the ice after a dirty hit?

Tinner
01-30-2005, 09:22 AM
PG has a very big team and tries to use their size to make up for their obvious defecencies in the skill department. Very few of their players have the skill to compete at this level. That said Lame Lambert is a poor, poor coach. I watched his antics on the bench and openly showing up players is not a coaching style that will endear him to his players.

As I have said many times in the past, the internal problems that plaque this team do not seem to go away. Anyway, Guest should have and could have called 10 more but must have figured he had called enough. As for the Rebs not going very far in the playoffs, at least they will get there.

In my opinion, with the size of that team, if Sutter coached it, they would be a very strong contender because he would sharpen the skills the players have rather than coach to Lamberts style. Difference being coaching!

tiny
01-30-2005, 10:18 AM
It is at least a little comforting to see a "constantly objective" Rebel supporter (Rebel 66) put my feelings into words. It is hard, even after a sleep, to pick an emotion that best describes what I felt at the game last night; digust, disbelief, loathing,... :( :mad: :eek: :confused:

I won't go into the individual PG infractions missed last night (and yes there were some Rebels infractions missed) but I will say I was very upset with Guest because of the penalties NOT called. The cougars should have been down two men for much of the night. They are without any doubt the least skilled, most out of control team I have seen in years!

I heard before the game that the Cougar coach had a team meeting to insist on more discipline from his team. If this is the case, either it didn't work or I can't imagine how they acted in previous games.

I love to beat our rivals to the south but I will now have a team I will cheer against no matter who they play.

New rant...BEAT THE COUGARS.

RunTheGoalie
01-30-2005, 10:37 AM
I'm gonna side with the Rebels fans on this one (and I HATE the Rebels)

The Cougars came off looking like little more than a pathetic travelling circus at times against Calgary, featuring numerous cheap shots, and really, cowards tactics.

If the Cougars want to blame the officiating for their slide right out of the playoffs (hopefully), so be it. If they want to actually start winning games again, PG might want to drop the idiot routine and actually play hockey.

grumphy
01-30-2005, 12:20 PM
Good God ----- looks sounds like we will have a real circus in town tonight. Hope we don,t get anyone else injured.

I think the league should step in on this type of repeated behvior.

Sgt. Zeek
01-30-2005, 01:35 PM
As dirty as PG played last night they did have one player that I thought played clean and also very well. If it wasn't for the great play of Real Cyr that game would have been a blow out for the Rebs. It was nice to see the Rebs play through all the dirty play and get the win.

Tinner
01-30-2005, 04:35 PM
My apologies, you are right. Cyr was their best player and deserved a better fate. He was the only reason they were in the game at all.

tazndevil
01-30-2005, 10:38 PM
I also have to agree with the Rebel fans on this one.

And I also hate Red Deer (LOL) :D

The travelling goon show will hopefully put them right out of the playoffs, and then we can put this to rest and not talk about them any more.

Taz