PDA

View Full Version : Hitmen 0 - Giants 5 - Nov. 5th

Beaner
11-06-2005, 02:07 AM
A full 60 min. effort tonight from the Giants who worked very hard all night and took advantage of a tired team that lost its cool in the third period. First period was very exciting, lots of quick action back and forth, but after the first you could see the Hitmen started to tire. Hitmen came completely unglued in the third, taking 8 Penalties and numerous 5-3 PP's with very selfish penalties. Kudus to the Giants for keeping their heads and punishing the Hitmen for their lack of discpline by putting the puck in the Net.

NOTES
Slade and Spence got the starts in the nets.
Rutherford did not play - getting more dental work done after a high stick on Firday.
Voytechuk, Dulle, and Hunt were other scratches for the Giants.
Flatters played forward tonight on the 4th line. He did pretty good out there.
Shots 29-18
Hitmen 0-5, Giants 3/12 on the PP

GOALS
1. VAN Repik, (7) (Kraus, Bartley), 10:23 A lot of good work down low for the giants who manage to get the puck to Repik who is right at the edge of the crease - does a full 360 spin and tuck it into the far side of the net. Nice move with a D-man right on top of him.
3. VAN Bartley, (8) (Albers, Kraus), 0:21 (PP) 5-3 PP, Albers takes the big shot from the point and Bartley manages to get a stick on it and deflect it top shelf.
3. VAN Bartley, (9) (Repik), 12:03 Bartley gets the puck in the slot and just blasts it right past Spence Top shelf, destorying the water bottle in the process
3. VAN Kraus, (8) (Albers, Franson), 14:02 (PP) 5-3 PP, more nice puck movement, comes to Kraus who puts in over a sprawling Spence.
3. VAN Machacek, (4) (Scharff, Albers), 16:42 (PP) Yet ANOTHER 5-3 PP, and I cant remember the details.

FISTICUFFS
Flatters vs. Klener
- Flatters is being pinned against the side of the net by Klener, play stops they wrestle a bit and then its on, Klener gets Flatters tied up and gets a few shots in, Flatters with a couple body shots near the end, and Klener with the take down. WIN Klenner, or a draw, not much of a fight.
Fistric vs.Vantuch
Vantuch hits Fistric with a High stick at the end of the play, and Fistric has had enough. Pushing and wrestling then Fistric throws of the mits and gets a couple shots in, and falls down on top of Vantuch. Gets one more shot in when they are down. Vantuch never even got his gloves off. WIN Fistric, but could also be a draw considering Vantuch never even got his gloves off. I was surprised Vantuch got the 5.

OFFICIATING
MacIssac was our official tonight and even though he called a lot tonight I thought he did a good job. Calgary was extremely chippy tonight, especially Dupont. I dont think Dupont went one shift without throwig a slash or an elbow etc. The penalties he called on Calgary int he third were all good calls, the Hitmen gave him no real choice but to call them. GRADE B

DUMB PENALTY OF THE NIGHT
Well, so many to choose from, you could basically call any player on the Calgary side in the third period as a stupid penalty. I'll go with the bench minor they took at the end of the 2nd, to give the Giants the 5-3 PP to start the third, in a 1-0 game.

OVERALL
A great start and some very good hockey for the first 20 mins. Calgary was starting to show their fatigue heading into the 2nd, and then at the end of the 2nd, when White took the 10min Misconduct for beaking off during the Fistric Fight, Calgary came unglued. The hitmen look like a very good team, the 1st period was one of the best I have seen at the coliseum this year. Nice work for Slade tonight as he finally gets the shutout, even though Calgary didnt mount a lot of pressure in the last half of the game, he stood tall when he needed too. Nice to see the Giants not retiliate with their own cheapshots, and just focus on winning the game. Great job. :thumb:

Felt bad for Spence - he was playing well, but then his team just lost it and he eneded up paying the price. He could hardly be faulted on any of those goals.

3 Stars
1. VAN - 12 Tim Kraus
2. VAN - 19 Mitch Bartley
3. VAN - 37 Dustin Slade

rinkrat
11-06-2005, 02:25 AM
The first period was "playoff hockey".End to end action,I think it took 30 minutes to play.Calgary has a very good team,they remind me of Kelowna last year,high tempo hockey.Unfortunately for the Hitmen,I think the Giants exposed their weekness,and capitalized,without stooping to their levels.
Blum looked really good as did Repik! I'm liking the future...

Hitmen1
11-06-2005, 08:26 AM
Beaner, why did the the hitmen get the bench minor at the end of the 2nd? The Hitmen broadcasters couldn't figure out what had happened they figured someone must have said something to the ref. Easily, the worst game of the year by the Hitmen. I don't mind that they got kicked around last night, it shows the boys that they still have work to do and that they need to show up and play each and every night.

hollcan
11-06-2005, 09:47 AM
First of all Beaner, thanks for your recaps/comments for those of us too far away to see the games in person, they are greatly appreciated. Secondly, watching the game on the computer is evidence that with the rule changes this year there can be no better excitement than what was shown during the first period. I love the end to end play and hope that damn "clutch n grab" **** used by Kelowna, Everett & Red deer the past few seasons never returns.
Also, for the Giants there is a big "if" to the season.........."if" Brule comes back and "if" he can fit into Hay's system of smothering forecheck, "if" our defense stays healthy(undoubtedly the best in the dub) and if Slade and Tarts can stay focused to stop the 15 shots a night....................then we might be seeing some 3rd and 4th round play-0ff action at the PNE. Thoughts?

Beaner
11-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Beaner, why did the the hitmen get the bench minor at the end of the 2nd? The Hitmen broadcasters couldn't figure out what had happened they figured someone must have said something to the ref.

No idea. When they started the 3rd we will all surprised as well to see the extra 2 on the board. Nothing happened as the ref was leaving the Ice, I think someone from the hitmen did or said something in the tunnel? It's a complete mystery, but in the postgame radio show, Don Hay said he didnt know what they did, but he knew they got the bench minor at the intermission.

Also, for the Giants there is a big "if" to the season.........."if" Brule comes back and "if" he can fit into Hay's system of smothering forecheck, "if" our defense stays healthy(undoubtedly the best in the dub) and if Slade and Tarts can stay focused to stop the 15 shots a night....................then we might be seeing some 3rd and 4th round play-0ff action at the PNE. Thoughts?

Lot of if's in there. I think predicting what is going to happen in the BC division is a risky proposition this year, 6 points seperating first and last, Giants with games in hand on everyone but in last place. Brule coming back would be a nice bonus, but so far this year, the team has played better without him. I dont think Brule will be a key to this team doing well in the playoffs, staying healthy is the real key, and continuing to play a hard working style. For now I'm just hoping the boys can continue to string together wins.

peatfan
11-07-2005, 12:53 PM
The only skater who showed up was Sonne. AI agree that I felt bad for Spence. Has played three time this year and the boys tok those nights off. Only highlight was Kelner beating up on old Rebel Flatters. Always good beating up a Rebel. The Giants did a good job of slowing down the HITMEN but if they played a best of 7, Calgary will win in 5, maybe6. :wave:

witness
11-07-2005, 03:50 PM
the Hitman penality was most likely because of a visit to the referee's room by one of the Hitman management team.

GF71
11-07-2005, 07:58 PM
There is no most likely about it. That is PRECISELY why they got the bench minor. :turkey: