PDA

View Full Version : Rebs can't buy a win. Shootout loss in PG

Rebel66
11-06-2005, 11:04 PM
It sounds like Leslie was the main reason that the Rebels gained a point with some stellar goaltending. He was only named the No.3 star though. Homer picks as usual!

Overall though you have to think a win will come soon. They are playing much better and the 'new' team is starting to gel.

Rebrevs
11-06-2005, 11:31 PM
Go figure! During the shootout their second shooter comes in and hits the post and it goes in. Brandon Sutter comes in under heavy pressure and loud boos and hits the cross bar and it goes out. How much closer can it get!! Nice to hear Leslie is doing a better job.

Homer
11-06-2005, 11:35 PM
After seeing the game tonite I would have to agree that your team is too talented to stay in the basement for long. Sutter, Wick and Versteeg were very good together as a first line. Your D looks a little weak, but has potential as Egener and Berube are very solid 17's and the big guy (Mihelik) looks pretty raw but has some potential (big shot).

The game started out all PG, but Leslie really stood on his head in the first. In the second the rebs really took it to the Cougars, and for the first half of teh third as well. Only when our offensive star of the future (Prab Rai - still 15!) scores a beauty halfway thru the third does the game start to turn a bit.

Overall, the game was a little subpar for PG compared to how they have been playing...but cut your rebs a little slack. If they put out that kind of effort every night they will start to win their share. I thought you guys had weak goaltending??Looked pretty damn good tonight.

frontrow fan
11-07-2005, 12:08 PM
It was good to listen to the game and hear that Lester was having a good game. I think that will bod well for his confidence... If he can put together a few good games, maybe he can get on a role and we'll put up some wins!! Sounded like a good game to watch...looking forward to seeing the "newbies"
(AGAIN!!! :spineyes: )

Warrior Fan
11-08-2005, 07:48 PM
It sounds like Leslie was the main reason that the Rebels gained a point with some stellar goaltending. He was only named the No.3 star though. Homer picks as usual!

Overall though you have to think a win will come soon. They are playing much better and the 'new' team is starting to gel.

Not that hard to figure out really. Sure you will get some players to play but man he doesn't have that many kids and nephews to fill a roster does he? Guys that want to play for a guy like him are few and far between. Coachs like him have a hard time succeeding in the pro's let alone with 15 - 20 year olds. Old school is out my friend. Now you have to be a teacher and respect the kids.

Rebels30
11-08-2005, 08:36 PM
...unless you know Brent Sutter..dont be calling him a jerk!

3rebels
11-08-2005, 09:17 PM
In almost knowing Brent from his days with the Rustlers to his days with NYI and Chicago,I have never known him to be a jerk. A little focused and very intense,maybe the word I'm looking for is competetive,
but I would certainly not use the word JERK. He is relaxed in the office and fans stop by and chat. He, that I have seen, has never turned anyone away. Go figure, just cause the guy likes to win and have a team that works, what, he's a jerk??? :(

FreddieFender
11-08-2005, 09:22 PM
I agree with Rebel 30. I wouldn't call Brent Sutter a jerk. In my dictionary, jerk is slang for "stupid or simple person". Brent may employ a few old school methods of motivating players; however, I believe his players know where they stand and what is expected of them both on and off the ice. Many players respond very well to his coaching style. The fact that some don't does not make him a jerk.

Rebels30
11-09-2005, 12:21 PM
EXACTLY!! :groovy:

witness
11-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Before you start slagging a coach, perhaps you should talk to some players, past and present. Brent Sutter is a task master, no doubt about it. But, every player will tell you to the man that he is fair and treats everyone the same. His rules are consistant and you either follow them or get out. His rules are simple, everytime you lace up the skates, you better be at your best, or your going to hear about it. In my opinion, you are not going to find a coach in junior hockey that is going to prepare a kid more for the NHL.
Does he respect his players? Absolutely. But, more importantly, his players respect him. If you looking for a coach that is going to stand on the bench slapping bums after every shift, or turning off the night lite on the road, then Sutter isn't your man. If you want a coach that is going to tap the potenial of your team I don't think you can do better than Sutter. The man coaches to win games and he has been very successful.
Wow, I'm ticked about the post and I'm a Pats fan.

Rebels30
11-09-2005, 03:26 PM
lol..i totally agree with what your saying!! :)
..and people need to figure it out that Mr.Sutter didnt get brandon and brett to play for the Rebels because there related to him...he got them because they are great players that work hard!!

3rebels
11-09-2005, 06:53 PM
AMEN :bounce:

Warrior Fan
11-10-2005, 10:31 AM
AMEN :bounce:
Well I don't think I agree about the family thing. He is going to give the Sutters every shot to make the show. Family comes first to almost every one I know.

That being said. He is not a jerk. Probably one of the most well respected coaches in the leauge. He seems to know what he is doing. He has been very successful. I find it interesting that teams are just giving players to him. I can't believe the Versteeg trade and the Kurceba trade.... Wow.

I love the fact that Sutter demands such level of performance out of these kids. I don't think they are pushed enough in their younger years. Why aren't they pushed? Because they are kids. Horrible excuse in my books. They need to learn.

Anyway, no harm meant trying to see where some of the bandwagon boys in Red Deer are handling losing because frankly it hasn't happened too often.

frontrow fan
11-10-2005, 10:56 AM
losing sucks....that's how it's going!! :burningma
But if we have to lose a few to win a few later on, I guess that's the way its going to go...
I would say as far as Sutter as a coach...history speaks for itself...
you can barely watch a sports cast that you don't hear the names of former Rebels being mentioned...Wanvig, Erat, Ward, Phaneuf, Asham, to name a few that I just heard, and in the AHL... the list is long!! Armstrong, Germyn, Stepp, Gordon, Vandermeer, the list is long!!! Part of the success these players have enjoyed and are currently enjoying is due to the coaching they received here!! I doubt there's many that would argue. He's a hard a$$ and doesn't make any excuses for it.

Rebels30
11-10-2005, 11:01 AM
its like you took the words right out of my mouth!! lol :thumb:

tiny
11-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Did you post on another site as "Donald Trump"? You sound very much the same.

As I told you there:

This is a classic example of a time it is "better to remain silent and be though a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt".

hockey4
11-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Someone ban this warrior fan guy. All he does is stir the pot piss people off. look what he said about the bronco fan bus on the bronco board. Just plain disrespectful. I also love about how he talks about how the rebs are losing. Whats that warrior fan, you guys have never made it past the second round. Whats that you guys won like 15 games last year. So please spare me the speech on us losing

Tinner
11-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Warrior fan is on a short leash. you may be right tiny, sounds alot like trump. we'll continue to monitor.

Warrior Fan
11-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Warrior fan is on a short leash. you may be right tiny, sounds alot like trump. we'll continue to monitor.
You guys get a little bent out of shape. Did you not read the post above. I praised the coach of the Rebels and showed the respect deserved. I want to see who is jumping off the band wagon a bit here. Lets face it, the only thing that Rebels fans have known is success and I want to see how they are dealing with the opposite. By the sounds of it not so good and that is understandable.

I did try to stir the pot a bit. It has been along time since any team can sit and look at the Rebels and go wow they are a bad team.

Anyway, I am not DT. I sound and act nothing like this guy. In fact I have no idea who he is or who he cheers for really.

I have to admit though I am glad to see teams like the Rebels, Bronco's and Wheatkings struggling as bad as they are. It is time for other teams to take the forefront and have some success.

That is right I want to see MJ, PA, PG and Leth do well. I don't want to see Kelowna, Red Deer, Med Hat (not so much these guys as they struggled for a long long time as well), Vancouver (just hate them... not sure why?). I like to see these other teams do well. I guess that is my opinion and I hope that it is understood as that and only that. I mean how can I cheer for the Rebels they beat us out a couple years ago when they shouldn't have. Just the way it goes in hockey. Rivalry is healthy for the league.

mapletoft
11-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Warrior Fan - if you have no idea who Donald Trump is how do you know you don't sound or look like him!

Rebels30
11-10-2005, 06:05 PM
lol..exactly what I was thinking!!
:)

3rebels
11-10-2005, 08:14 PM
And we haven't always been used to the winning ways of the Rebels, why I remember back in the old days, it kind of seems like it was the last century, we kinda had a team that didn't win a lot of games. :confused: We stuck by them and were rewarded for our efforts and our time will come again!! :thumb: :groovy:

Rebrevs
11-10-2005, 10:48 PM
You say a "rivalry is healthy for the league". I would be more inclined to say a "HEALTHY rivalry is healthy for the league" What you are trying to promote is a far cry from being healthy for anyone let alone the league.

WHat is healthy about you admitting to "trying to stir the pot"

What is healthy about your statement that you can't cheer for the Rebels because they beat you out a couple of years ago when "they shouldn't have". Well....if they should have lost then how come you didn't beat them??

What is healthy about anyone TAKING PLEASURE in stating that "wow, they're a bad team" ANyone grounded in reality would suggest that they are an INEXPERIENCED team and are bound to take their knocks.

You state that "the only thing that Rebels fans have known is success and I want to see how they are dealing with the opposite" THat statement, alone, verifies your lack of knowledge regarding Rebel history. I am more inclined to believe that what you are really trying to do is see if we stooped as low as many of the Moose Jaw fans (including yourself) did last year when the Warriors went through a time of struggle.

To presume, based on a few visits to this site, that the Red Deer fans have stooped THAT low, is simply that, a PRESUMPTION!

Rebels30
11-11-2005, 11:52 AM
:thumb: :groovy: :clap:

Shinyshoes
11-14-2005, 09:42 AM
This is enough...I'm Closing this thread. Warrior Fan, Please be more careful in the future. All other posters, He did apologize, Please let this go.