PDA

View Full Version : Lane allan traded for Curtis Billesten

Chipper
11-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Cranbrook, BC -- Jeff Chynoweth, General Manager of the Kootenay ICE Hockey Club, today announced the club has acquired 19-year-old Forward Curtis Billsten from the Lethbridge Hurricanes in exchange for 18-year-old Forward Laine Allen and a conditional third round pick in the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft.

“We are very excited to add another veteran forward to our roster. Curtis will give us more depth up front and allow us to now have four solid lines. Having played two years in a successful program in Everett he will be counted on to play in all situations with our Hockey Club,” added Chynoweth.

Curtis Billsten was a ninth round draft pick (171st overall) in the 2001 WHL Bantam Draft by the Red Deer Rebels. He was selected by the Everett Silvertips in the 2003 WHL Expansion Draft and was traded to Lethbridge in July 2005.

The ICE are now carrying 24 players, including three goaltenders, eight defensemen and 13 forwards. Kootenay returns to the Rec Plex to host the Calgary Hitmen tomorrow night at 7:00 p.m. Tickets are available at the ICE office or Kootenay Collectibles.

CURTIS BILLSTEN

September 10, 1986 * Hometown: Calgary, Alberta

Right Wing * Shoots: Right * 6’3”, 226lbs

YEAR TEAM GP G A PTS PIM

2002-03 Red Deer 10 0 0 0 6

2003-04 Everett 63 8 12 20 26

2004-05 Everett 71 13 13 26 64

2005-06 Lethbridge 13 8 4 12 9

Chipper
11-09-2005, 11:24 AM
It doesn't say anything about payment or a penalty to Lethbridge for hireing Roy from us? maybe this is just a regular trade. This was a move up for Roy and when Bob Tory went to the AMs it was not a promotion just a new team so maybe there is no compinsation in this case? I don't know. It looks good for the Ice though.

Lethbridge Hurricanes General Manager, Roy Stasiuk, announced today the Canes have completed a trade with the Kootenay Ice.

The Hurricanes shipped 19-year-old forward Curtis Billsten to the Ice in exchange for 18-year-old list player, Laine Allen, and a conditional draft pick in the 2007 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft.

“This now brings to a conclusion a very tumultuous week for the Canes, its players, staff and fans,” said Stasiuk. “It is obvious Curtis has made a significant impression and contribution to this team in just weeks and I would expect him to do the same with Kootenay.”

“Joining the organization at this point in the season has its challenges and this was a necessary transaction to ensure both teams would benefit through player and or draft compensation”, added Stasiuk.

Curtis Billsten will join the Ice later today while the status of Laine Allen, who is currently playing with the Drumheller Dragons of the Alberta Junior Hockey League, has yet to be determined.

This afternoon will also mark the first day of practice for the Hurricanes under the direction of newly-appointed Head Coach Michael Dyck. Dyck will be available for comment 2:30 at the Enmax Centre.

In the crowd
11-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Even if it isn't publicly announced, there is no way that this could be just a normal trade. This is definatly a compensation trade, we would have had to give up more than what we did to get one of the Hurricanes most offensive player in a year like this for them. I'll take it. The game's i've been at so far in Lethbridge Billsten has looked like one of the more effective players out there. He was the first star in a 2 goal game that I saw, as well as throwing alot of big hits, so I'm glad to see him coming over to Cranbrook.

Chipper
11-09-2005, 01:48 PM
I am still not convinced. There is a conditional pick involved and that tells me if he plays well for the Ice the Huricanes will get a better draft pick, unless maybe Allen is a no show to lethbridge but I doubt that. so this deal can still benifit the Huricanes if Billesten proves to be a great player for us. The better he is the better the pick they will get, along with Allan.I know it sounds a bit one sided at this point but it may depend on how his season plays out. Maybe he was a problem in Lethbridge and was part if the cleaning house there.
There may be a conection to Roy and as a result compensation, but when Bob Tory went to Tri City it was very public and in an oficial release.

Beaner
11-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Pretty lopsided trade even with the conditional pick involved. A current WHL'er for a player not even playing in the dub and a conditional? You would think that Billsten was worth at least a player playing in the dub right now plus conditional picks. 3rd highest point getter for basically a prospects?

Even though it isn't stated as a compensation for losing Stasiuk, it sure does look that way.

Now if the Giants got Billsten for a list player and a conditional pick I think I would be saying the exact same thing. I do not think we are getting the full story with this trade.

LHF
11-09-2005, 03:30 PM
This was absolutely compensation for Stasiuk. Here is a quote from the Leth Herald today:

Then there is also the matter of compensation to either Kootenay, Vancouver or both for hiring people away from their organizations who were already under contract. That could take the form of a player, according to the league, but the final deal is something to be worked out between the teams and not released publicly.
"We have had compensation on these deals before and certainly I imagine there is compensation that will be involved in this one," Doerksen commented. "However that is confidential between the two clubs."

But that said, you guys will be very happy with Billsten. He is a very talented player, with size. Also a leader in the dressing room, and well liked by his teammates. He's someone I have enjoyed watching for the past couple months. And he will be missed here in Lethbridge.

Chipper
11-09-2005, 06:24 PM
Okay now I can believe it. I just need some kind of Press release to believe trades of any kind.

This was absolutely compensation for Stasiuk. Here is a quote from the Leth Herald today:

Then there is also the matter of compensation to either Kootenay, Vancouver or both for hiring people away from their organizations who were already under contract. That could take the form of a player, according to the league, but the final deal is something to be worked out between the teams and not released publicly.
"We have had compensation on these deals before and certainly I imagine there is compensation that will be involved in this one," Doerksen commented. "However that is confidential between the two clubs."

But that said, you guys will be very happy with Billsten. He is a very talented player, with size. Also a leader in the dressing room, and well liked by his teammates. He's someone I have enjoyed watching for the past couple months. And he will be missed here in Lethbridge.

its like that
11-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Todays herald, article clears things up, but as they said yesterday and today, the league won't officially say its compensation.

Pieces in place

By TREVOR KENNEY

Lethbridge Herald

General manager Roy Stasiuk's first move as a Lethbridge Hurricane ironically was completing a deal that brought himself to Lethbridge.

While the Western Hockey League won't officially call it a compensation deal, the trade of forward Curtis Billsten (team co-leader with eight goals) to the Kootenay Ice for list player Laine Allen and a conditional 2007 bantam draft pick is exactly that.

"This now brings to a conclusion a very tumultuous week for the 'Canes, its players, staff and fans," Stasiuk said in a news release.

"Joining the organization at this point in the season has its challenges and this was a necessary transaction to ensure both teams would benefit through player and or draft compensation."

The six-foot-three inch Allen is currently playing with the Alberta Junior Hockey League's Drumheller Dragons. His future with the Hurricanes has yet to be determined.

"In terms of our hockey club it's a first chance to start building a little bit of depth possibly down the road," Stasiuk said. "We're more concerned about where we're going to go from now. Of course we have to start trying to fill that hole left by Curtis but at the same time, we're going to see if we can fill some holes from within."

The 'Canes, who skated with 11 forwards in practice Wednesday, need to add some bodies in the coming weeks, especially up front. Stasiuk would like to address that need from within the organization as well as start to introduce more youth to the lineup.

"I just don't want to get too top-heavy with 19-year-olds and I'm really concerned that maybe we need a few more 17-year-olds in our lineup," he said.

"One of our big concerns will be to get some more '88 (17-year-old) forwards into the lineup. We've got some very good '89s (16-year-olds) here but we want to make sure that when it's their time, they've got a good supporting cast."

fightstrap50
11-10-2005, 07:31 PM
well congrats to Roy, his time here was very valueable to the team and I wish him well. As for the trade, I like it, I think it will help us out with more scoring and Ive heard he will be starting on our first line tonight! Welcome to the Kootenay Ice Curtis! Im sure you'll become a fan favorite in no time.

Tonight should be a good one with the Hitmen visiting the rec-plex, Two great teams battling it out with great history between us. Play a hard solid 60 minute effort tonight Ice! Woo Hoo lets go Ice! :groovy:

GO ICE GO!!!