PDA

View Full Version : Mikkelson Injury Updates

Beaner
11-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Mikkelson left the game midway thru the 3rd period, Nov. 8th vs. Red Deer, with a knee injury suffered on a collision with Kancksted of Red Deer.

He had to be helped off the ice in severe pain.

No word yet on the severity of the injury, he goes in for an MRI today, MOJO radio is reporting that it is looking like he will be out of the lineup for at least 2 weeks.

GF71
11-09-2005, 02:26 PM
Early prognosis is 3-4 weeks, but I will try to get a better update later tonight. Remember Albers was supposed to be out 3-4 and was back in less than 2, so go figure. Knees are a bit more tricky though.

Beaner
11-09-2005, 05:23 PM
MOJO is reporting now 4 weeks, but no other details. I wonder how this will affect his chances for the WJC?

GF71
11-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Torn MCL. He is going for his MRI tomorrow morning to get a better estimate on the damage. I will give everybody an update as to how long he will be out when I get more information.

Beaner
11-10-2005, 11:50 AM
from The Province newspaper.

Mikkelson's knee an unknown quantity
With an MRI scheduled today, defenceman's a longshot for junior team

Steve Ewen
The Province

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Right now, the Vancouver Giants are guessing that defenceman Brendan Mikkelson could be out anywhere from two weeks to two months.

Mikkelson will go for a magnetic resonance imaging test today after injuring his left knee in Tuesday night's 3-0 win over the Red Deer Rebels, and the team should have results Friday.

Right now, he's been diagnosed with a medial collateral ligament sprain, and team doctors don't believe there's been any damage to his anterior cruciate ligament.

The uncertainty showed Wednesday when general manager Scott Bonner talked about Mikkelson missing two to four weeks, and coach Don Hay was mentioning six to eight.

"There's pain and they say that's a good thing, because the ligaments are still at least partially attached," Mikkelson, 18, said while watching practice on crutches.

Mikkelson was part of the Canadian junior national development camp in Whistler this summer, but, with their selection camp only a month away, he's a longshot at best to make that team now.

He'll definitely have to be replaced for the Nov. 30 WHL-Russia all-star game in Saskatoon.

"Obviously it runs through my mind," Mikkelson said of world juniors.

"But I've just got to worry about getting 100 per cent so I can help this team."

Looks like we will have to wait till Friday to get the word, but not good.

Get well soon Mikk.

Beaner
11-10-2005, 11:59 AM
More from the Province

Injury's pain more than just physical
Giants' Mikkelson worried about world juniors, too

Gary Kingston
Vancouver Sun

Thursday, November 10, 2005

CREDIT: Steve Bosch, Vancouver Sun
Vancouver Giant Brendan Mikkelson could be out of action for up to eight weeks.

Crutches under his armpits and without putting any weight on his left leg, Brendan Mikkelson began an awkward descent of a dozen stairs at Ladner Arena on Wednesday.

Halfway down, and with a wise-acre reporter suggesting from behind that he was on his own if he fell, Mikkelson stopped, put the crutches in one hand and defiantly hopped on his good right leg to the bottom.

Clearly, this crutch thing was virgin territory for the Vancouver Giants' defenceman.

He has an MRI scheduled for today on the knee he injured Tuesday night, but the early diagnosis is a sprained MCL. It will force the skilled blueliner to miss a Nov. 30 exhibition game in Saskatoon between a WHL all-star team and a Russian junior squad, and could jeopardize his shot at making the Canadian team that will play in the World Junior Championships in Vancouver starting on Boxing Day.

In advance of the MRI, speculation Wednesday was he could miss three weeks (Mikkelson's hope), four weeks (GM Scott Bonner's forecast) or six to eight weeks (head coach Don Hay's layman's opinion).

Mikkelson, who has never had a knee injury before, was hurt when he and Red Deer forward Jordan Knackstedt got tangled up at the Vancouver blueline.

"It's amazing how fragile human beings are, it doesn't take much I guess," said Mikkelson, who screamed in pain as he hit the ice.

"It was nothing like I'd ever felt before. It was awful. I felt a big pop in the knee as soon as it happened. It took a couple of seconds to pop back in. It was very painful at first."

And his second thought?

"S---."

The timing couldn't have been worse, for both Mikkelson and the Giants. After Friday's home game against the Blazers, Vancouver begins a six-games-in-nine-nights road trip Saturday in Kamloops.

"Obviously when you lose a key player like Brendan it affects your team," said Hay. "[It's] a bit of adversity a team's got to go through to see how they handle that. Better to go through some adversity early in the year . . . than when you're in the playoffs. It gives [rookie] Jon Blum a really good opportunity."

Mikkelson's opportunity was the world juniors. After a strong world under-18 championships last April, he seemed a good bet to be at least one of the 30-36 invitees to the Team Canada selection camp beginning Dec. 11.

"It's frustrating," said Mikkelson, who has a goal and six assists in 11 games with Vancouver since being acquired early in the season from Portland. "Yeah, I'm worried. You don't know if you're going to be healthy in time.

"It was going to be tough enough for me to make it this year [when] healthy. Hopefully, it's nothing too serious. Hopefully, it's just a first-degree sprain."

Mikkelson said the pain -- he was still sore Wednesday -- was actually encouraging.

"I was baffled to hear it at first, but I guess when there is pain that means it's not completely severed. There are some tendons still attached, ones that have just been stretched and that's why there's pain."

gkingston@png.canwest.com

© The Vancouver Sun 2005

Beaner
11-11-2005, 01:58 PM
The Province is reporting the Mikkelson has a slight tear of the MCL. He should be out for 6-8 weeks. Similar to the injury that Jason Reese got.

Beaner
12-06-2005, 01:05 PM
I have heard Mikk has been skating, anyone know if he is taking part in practices yet, and if so are they full contact?

GF71
12-06-2005, 01:18 PM
Yes and yes!!! Hopefully he will be able to play this weekend. :thumb:

rinkrat
12-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Great news,look forward to seeing Mikkelson again.Fast healer,wow.Toigo must have invested in a hyperbaric chamber!

Big Daddy
12-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Wow, that's great to hear, the blue line will be loaded for bear with Mikk back. Tough decisions for the coaching staff on who to scratch each game.

rinkrat
12-06-2005, 09:07 PM
time to rest Blum a little.He has been great,but at 16,he needs days off too.

Beaner
12-06-2005, 09:23 PM
I agree with Rinkrat, but it will be nice for us to also be able to rest some of the other guys as well, as I'm sure they all have some Bumps and bruises that could use an extra day off here and there.