PDA

View Full Version : Wheat/Fiala @ Home to Rehab

Tipped Off
11-10-2005, 10:34 AM
Home alone
The Silvertips are in the midst of a seven-game, 11-day road trip, but Torrie Wheat and Ondrej Fiala were left behind to rehab knee injuries.

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - While the Everett Silvertips travel the vast expanses of the western Canadian prairies, Torrie Wheat and Ondrej Fiala are forced to slog themselves through the Pacific Northwest rain for the simple purpose of putting themselves through pain.

While the Silvertips fight through their most-challenging road trip of the season, Wheat and Fiala are fighting through their own ordeals, which, in their own ways, are more difficult than anything their teammates may encounter. Instead of boarding the bus with the rest of the team on Nov. 2, Wheat and Fiala remained behind to rehabilitate knee injuries.

And now the duo are dealing with both a grueling rehab and the mental anguish of being forced to stay behind.

"It kills me, man," Wheat, Everett's captain, said. "I listened to the game on (Nov. 2) and I was starting to sit there and feel sorry for myself. I just have to look at it as an opportunity to revamp and regroup. It's exciting to be part of this team and I just want to get back as quick as possible so I can join in all the fun."

Added Fiala: "I don't like this, only watching the games ... you can't do anything."

Wheat and Fiala are both dealing with right knee injuries. Wheat suffered a torn medial collateral ligament during Everett's 5-4 victory in Portland on Oct. 23. Fiala suffered a torn meniscus in Everett's 3-2 loss at Seattle two days earlier.

They're trying to work themselves back onto the ice, undergoing an exhaustive rehab with Lance Miller of Everett Physical Therapy.

"It bums out hockey players not to make the road trip," said Miller, who has worked with the Silvertips since the franchise began play in 2003. "They hate it, and when your a captain, it's even tougher. But the fact of the matter is you're on the road for 12, 13 days and these guys can't get the rehab. They're on a bus 8, 10, 12 hours at a time and they're cramped in there. Those long road trips we really like to keep the boys here because they can get two treatments a day. The team needs them back, so them being here during the road trip will help with the healing and get them back on the ice faster."

Instead of riding the bus through British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan, Wheat and Fiala amble into Everett Physical Therapy at 10:30 a.m. each morning, Monday through Friday. There they go through a vigorous hour-and-a-half program that includes work on the cardiovascular system, dynamic flexibility, foot speed and balance.

Wheat and Fiala's injuries affected different parts of the knee: Wheat's MCL tear is on the outside of the knee and affects the knee's lateral stability, Fiala's meniscus tear affects the cushion underneath the kneecap and required surgery to repair. But the injuries are similar enough that both players are undergoing essentially the same rehab program.

Many of the exercises are designed with hockey specifically in mind. They include several movements that mimic the skating motion, and many of the exercises also include the use of a hockey stick. They're also designed to push the injuries, putting enough stress on the knee so that it's at the line where it's being challenged, without causing re-injury. That is the fastest way to recovery.

"You can't train a hockey player like you would a football player or a soccer player, and you can't train a hockey player by laying them on tables," Miller said. "We really need to get them on their feet, turning on the right muscles. Their rehab and training has to smell like the sport and hopefully by the time they hit that ice, their body and muscles and joints will recognize that they've been doing this for four or five weeks and is ready to go. And hopefully we'll reduce the risk of future injury by training this way."

Both players are expected to return from their injuries soon after the team returns from its road trip. If the rehab goes well, Fiala could be back in the lineup within two weeks and Wheat could be back in three weeks.

Therefore, both are working hard to try to stay on those schedules, sweat dripping from the foreheads and grimaces adorning their faces as they go through the process.

"It's going good," Fiala said. "It's helping the knee. Every day is better a little bit."

One of the things that makes the process easier is the fact that they have a teammate to endure with, rather than having to go it alone.

"It helps big time," Wheat said. "It's definitely a lot easier. Me and Ondrej kind of hang out and he's an unreal guy, a funny guy. So it makes it pretty good, a lot less mundane."

* n n

It's Wednesday morning and it's a big moment for Wheat and Fiala. Today the players are testing out their knees on the ice for the first time since their injuries occurred.

As the players lace up their skates for the first time in more than two weeks, there's a sense of both anticipation and apprehension. Wheat's first step onto the ice is tentative, almost like a child dipping his or her toe into the water to test the temperature. Each player's first few strides are short and wary, a questioning look of concern on their faces.

And then it happens:

Smiles.

The short, tentative strides begin lengthening out. The players begin adding gentle turns. Miller dumps a pair of pucks onto the ice and the players eagerly snap them up and begin stickhandling while they skate. And the smiles turn into jokes as the two players laugh in joy.

Wheat skates by the bench, nods at Miller, and says, "Not bad, man."

Miller grins: "They're a little ahead of where I thought they'd be on the ice."

Based on Wednesday's first skate, it appears both Wheat and Fiala are right on schedule for perhaps getting back into the lineup by December.

The hard work is paying off.

"These hockey players are warriors," Miller said. "They're warriors when they're on the ice practicing and playing, and they're warriors with the rehab. That attitude makes a big difference."

It's been difficult for Wheat and Fiala, being left behind while their teammates are playing games in far-away places. But they realize it was necessary for their recovery.

"It's frustrating, especially not being on the road with the team," Wheat said. "But what's most important to me and what's most important to the team is just getting back as quickly as possible and as healthy as possible."

And if they're able to get back into the lineup sooner rather than later, then it was worth being left behind.