PDA

View Full Version : [Split] Too Many Goaltenders??

Beaner
11-08-2005, 05:20 PM
According to Joey Kenward on Mojo radio, Tyson is back from his hip injury as of today. No idea if he will make the lineup tonight, somehow I doubt it.

This marks the 1st time that Vancouver has had an entirely healthy lineup since the start of the season.

GF71
11-08-2005, 05:34 PM
*knocking on wood* ;)
Tyson will still be a few games away...He will need to get back in game shape, etc. Then, once he is good to go...will they hold on to Tommy and send him back down to Jr. B? I smell a epic goaltender contorversy coming...

rinkrat
11-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Would you guys trade a goalie to add another player for next years cup run?Tommy would likely get the best deal,but I'd hate to lose him!

Beaner
11-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Would you guys trade a goalie to add another player for next years cup run?Tommy would likely get the best deal,but I'd hate to lose him!

It's an intersting dilema. A lot of teams have suppossedly expressed interest in Vancouver's goalies.

Do you keep all 3 in case one gets hurt? How close is Sexsmith to start playing, 2 weeks, 3 weeks?

I'm not sure what to think right now about it but I do know this, one of the guys will not be happy about not being in the lineup. Extremely hard to carry 3 good goalies.

I could see moving a Goalie for a Forward with some offensive upside for this year and next.

Let the Epic debate begin. ;)

GF71
11-09-2005, 08:10 PM
I talked to Tyson Sexsmith last night. He has been practicing pain free for about 2 weeks at home. He figures he should be ready to play in no more than two weeks. How long will the Giants carry three goalies? I think only for a short time. There has been lots of interest in Tommy. Which teams need goaltending the most?

rinkrat
11-09-2005, 10:05 PM
I don't think there is any hurry to move a goalie.They have to be carefull as far as insurance.How about Sexsmith plays in Delta for 5 games?

Beaner
11-10-2005, 11:52 AM
from, The Province

THREE FOR THE ROAD

Now that Tyson Sexsmith (pelvis) is healthy again, look for the Giants to take three goaltenders on their five-game Prairie road trip that starts next week.

Don't expect them to run with a trio for an extended period, though. Hay said even yesterday that the scenario doesn't work for long.

Sexsmith, 16, was the Giants' first-round WHL bantam draft pick two years ago, so he's the best bet to stick as the backup to Dustin Slade, 19.

That leaves Tommy Tartaglione, 17, a non-drafted list player with Vancouver, as the odd man out.

The California native had a sparkling training camp, and Bonner admitted that several teams called with trade offers. With Sexsmith sidelined, Bonner wasn't about to move him then.

Tartaglione could bring some much-needed scoring help up front in a deal.

"I've been working hard and that's what I've been told my whole life --- work hard and things will work out," said Tartaglione.

Beaner
11-10-2005, 08:29 PM
I know its a long shot but what about Trading Slade and letting the 2 young guys split the duties for this year? Then we would have 2 goalies with experience with High upside, and we would be down to only 4 19 year olds on this current roster instead of 5.

Somehow I doubt that Slade would be traded, but I can't help thinking that maybe Tyson and Tommy are a better way to go long term, considering they could be here for 3 seasons each.

rinkrat
11-10-2005, 10:01 PM
I know its a long shot but what about Trading Slade and letting the 2 young guys split the duties for this year? Then we would have 2 goalies with experience with High upside, and we would be down to only 4 19 year olds on this current roster instead of 5.

Somehow I doubt that Slade would be traded, but I can't help thinking that maybe Tyson and Tommy are a better way to go long term, considering they could be here for 3 seasons each.
Thats a tough call,I understand what you are saying,but a 20 year old Slade could be really good!I really hate to give up on Tommy though,he is gonna be great,if not already.Haven't seen Sexsmith play but have heard that he is the 2nd coming of Pat Roy! Can't we juggle three goalies? Their bound to get an injury,or drop one goalie to junior A???

Big Daddy
11-10-2005, 10:22 PM
The smart call is to trade Tyson, his injury could be a career ender. I know he is getting his health back but one small ding could be it. I know he is a great goalie but to trade a young healthy proven goalie such as Tommy and keep a young goalie with a great chance of being re-injured doesn't make sense.

Beaner
11-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Thats a tough call,I understand what you are saying,but a 20 year old Slade could be really good!I really hate to give up on Tommy though,he is gonna be great,if not already.Haven't seen Sexsmith play but have heard that he is the 2nd coming of Pat Roy! Can't we juggle three goalies? Their bound to get an injury,or drop one goalie to junior A???

The problem with juggling 3 goalies is the expansion draft next year. Can't afford to protect 3 goaltenders next year whcih means more than likely we would lose one for nothing. May as well try and get something for them now.

The smart call is to trade Tyson, his injury could be a career ender. I know he is getting his health back but one small ding could be it. I know he is a great goalie but to trade a young healthy proven goalie such as Tommy and keep a young goalie with a great chance of being re-injured doesn't make sense.

That's an intersting point, but I think Tyson will be just fine. He's young and should recover from his injury no problem.

Jovorock
11-11-2005, 12:08 PM
If the Giants plan on have Slade for the Cup next year, then one of the young goalies would get alot of trade bait this year for a player to help next year.

rinkrat
11-11-2005, 01:29 PM
Ok,who needs a goalie? Darn,I hate to lose Tommy!!! :burningma

Beaner
11-11-2005, 02:00 PM
The province is now saying that Tyson has been having some hip problems in practice and has been told to take at least another week off. They are saying the hip problems are unrelated to the Pelvic injury?????

Looks like the debate started a bit too early.

Big Daddy
11-11-2005, 02:14 PM
That's not good beaner, thanks for the update. I hope Tyson recovers quickly and this is not a set back from the previous injury. If it is a set back then he should strongly consider taking the rest of the year off and getting this taken care of. The bad thing is that no doctor can tell when is the right time to come back. Get well soon kid.

N.W. Bruin
11-11-2005, 05:11 PM
The problem with juggling 3 goalies is the expansion draft next year. Can't afford to protect 3 goaltenders next year whcih means more than likely we would lose one for nothing. May as well try and get something for them now.

That's an intersting point, but I think Tyson will be just fine. He's young and should recover from his injury no problem.

The expansion draft isn't in the picture really because there is no limit on goalies that can be protected for it. They just have to be among the 15 or 16 guys depending on up the number of guys that can be protected on top of the bantam draft guys drafted this coming season and those drafted last season plus any listed guys that would be in those two draft groups if drafted.

rinkrat
11-12-2005, 01:35 AM
OK,I think tonights game vs Blazers answered any goaltending questions.Its pretty clear who needs to go.Its not just this game,I think Tartaglione has played as well (and better at times) as Slade.
That was atrocious out there tonight.Only 15 shots tonight,18 against Calgary,21 to Red Deer,22 last week to Kamloops.The skaters are getting it done and they are getting deflated by the weak goals,you could see it tonight.Great high energy start to the game,big letdown after the 2nd Blazer goal.Also the PP was not clicking tonight.
Maybe we should trade Slade,I don't know what we could get in return,but to give up a top rate goalie and stay with Slade for the cup run makes me nervous.This possible trade situation could have a huge impact on next years cup run!

GF71
11-12-2005, 01:39 AM
I don't know if trading Salde woudl be a good move or not. One should never say never, but it might we worth exploring. I'd like to see Tyson paly a few games before anything is done.

rinkrat
11-12-2005, 01:52 AM
I've sure heard solid reviews about Tyson on the white board! I've never seen him play but,sure hear he is a "can't miss prospect"
Guess injuries could be his "achillies heel" No pun intended...

oops...knock on wood.

Beaner
11-12-2005, 02:21 AM
I'd like to see Tyson paly a few games before anything is done.

I'd have to agree with that. Hopefully though - this doesnt go on to long.

I think no matter what they do, its going to be a tough decision, and I'm glad I'm not having to make this decision.

rinkrat
11-12-2005, 02:40 AM
Beaner,you cracked 1000 posts.CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :groovy: :clap:

GF71
11-12-2005, 05:09 PM
They decided to leave Tyson at home for the big road trip this morning. Main reason is to recover from his hip injury, but also to get in a boat load of work with bill Ranford...to work on his fundamentals, etc...basically to try to get him up to speed after having not play yet this year. I suspect that they will be showcasing Tommy on the trip.

GF71
11-17-2005, 08:29 PM
The Giants are going to carry all three goalies until Tyson gets back from his tournament. Then it will be decision time. Tommy could be on his way out of town. FYI... Tyson has been practicing with the BCHL's Surrey Eagles and should play next weekend, most likely against Medicine Hat. :thumb:

Beaner
11-17-2005, 11:20 PM
The Giants are going to carry all three goalies until Tyson gets back from his tournament. Then it will be decision time. Tommy could be on his way out of town. FYI... Tyson has been practicing with the BCHL's Surrey Eagles and should play next weekend, most likely against Medicine Hat. :thumb:

Keeping all 3 till the end of the tournament is probably the right move, since that will coincide with the Trading deadline, just in case another Goalie goes down with an injury.

Speaking of which - I read in the province today that Tommy was supposed to get the start in Moose Jaw but didn't because he has a Hip Injury? IS this true or has the Province just mistaken Tommy for Tyson?

amisk
11-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Can anyone tell me if they have watched Tyson play and give me their oppinion on his style .

GF71
11-18-2005, 11:04 PM
Very quick glove, butterfly goaltender. Likes to challange the shooter. We will see sooner than later! :thumb:

amisk
11-19-2005, 12:51 PM
Very quick glove, butterfly goaltender. Likes to challange the shooter. We will see sooner than later! :thumb:
Very cool, Can't wait..having 2 young goalers for the cup!! it's going to be exciting!! :groovy: ...thanks for the response!! :thumb:

Beaner
11-19-2005, 03:14 PM

If I recall correctly, didnt Tyson play last year with Medicine Hat, when they were short goalies?

Also, I was thinking about who we may trade a goaltender to, and I'm wondering if maybe Lethbridge may be a target for one of the guys? Lethbridge I believe still owes Vancouver something for taking Michael Dyck away to coach, maybe we can have that factor into a goaltender move, and get a bit more out of a deal?

Lethbridge has a solid Opshall playing for them right now, but with Dyck knowing what Tommy can do, we may be able to get a pretty nice deal out of it?

GF71
11-24-2005, 08:11 PM
Tyson has medical clearance to play and has been practicing hard for the last few days. Look for him to dress and quite possible get into a game this weekend, but HAY has NOT told any of the three if they are playing this weekend.

rinkrat
11-24-2005, 10:33 PM
Seems a little scary to play a green rookie,fresh off an injury,against the best team in the league?! Or maybe its just me?...

GF71
11-25-2005, 09:16 AM
No question, but i guess throwing him right into the fire will be a good way to see how he handles the pressure early. If i hear who is going ot start I will post it here asap.

Beaner
11-25-2005, 02:25 PM
Seems a little scary to play a green rookie,fresh off an injury,against the best team in the league?! Or maybe its just me?...

They have to get him in there as soon as possible to see where he is at injury wise, and skill wise. If he doesn't look fully ready then they can still send him back to the BCHL and hang onto both Tommy and Dustin. The trade deadline is approaching fast (Mid-January), and Management is going to have to make a decision soon on who is the odd man out, so they can maximize any potential trades.

Dont forget that Tyson is going to the U-17 tournament, which runs thee same time as the WJC, so there are not a lot of games left (11) before that and the trade deadline, for them to give him game time. Not sure when practices start, but if it starts ont he 11th, like the WJC team, then that means there are even less games for Tyson to potentially start.

They already have a good idea what Tommy and Dustin bring to the table, now its time to see if Tyson is as good as everyone thinks he is.

GF71
11-25-2005, 03:22 PM
Yeah, what he said! :D

rinkrat
11-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Any update on Sexsmith possibly playing tonight?

Beaner
11-26-2005, 05:43 PM
Shhh.

It's top secret. :frog:

N.W. Bruin
11-27-2005, 07:47 PM
Sexsmith is considered the best 16 year old goalie in the west. I can't see the Giants trading him as he was one of about the seven grade A bantam choices in that draft that he was taken in. Him and Tommy would bring more in return in a trade though than Slade.

Heck if Brule somehow comes back that is two pretty good assets in a possible couple deals to get players in return. Though keeping Brule would be a better thing to do for this year - he would help out in the shootout record.

Slade might just be an overage player with the Giants next season so only need one of the two. Lamb very likely will have one spot, maybe Slade the second and hopefully someone else (not Scharff) as Fistric and Festerling are likely pro bound with with the former being a first round pick and the later having signed a contract.

GF71
12-01-2005, 09:21 AM
It is all a moot point now. Tyson was diagnosed with Mono yesterday and will be out for at least a couple of weeks. :dead:

rinkrat
12-01-2005, 10:52 AM
Quote from THE SUN...

Sexsmith, 16, first learned he had mono while rehabbing his pelvis in Calgary. He thought he could hide the disease from his junior club, but his doctor in Calgary followed up with Giants' team physician Dr. Martin Ray on Wednesday. Ray passed the information on to Vancouver general manager Scott Bonner, who had no choice but to pull Sexsmith from practices until further notice.

"You can't help but feel for the kid," says Bonner. "It's understandable he was thinking the way he was because he just wants to play. It's been one thing after another for Tyson, so I don't fault him or hold it against him. It's understandable."

Interesting that he tried to hide it.

Big Daddy
12-01-2005, 11:37 AM
I don't think interesting is the word rinkrat. So he's had this for awhile, he comes to the Giants and shares bottles with the team at practice putting the other guys at risk, and now it gets out to the public. I think all of the trade talk is over, move him and get a forward for him now and be done with it. What a selfish act.

Beaner
12-01-2005, 11:49 AM
Unbelievable.

Tyson, Reese, Rutherford and Brule have all had terrible luck with injuries so far this year.

Hopefully this doesn't spread thru the Giants or the BCHL team he was practicing with last week.

GF71
12-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Certainly a risky move on his part. I understand why he tried to hide it. Hopefully it doesn't spread around the team. Maybe not the smartest move in the world, but to talk about trading him is silly. Remember these are KIDS.

Beaner
12-01-2005, 01:30 PM
I am starting to wonder why the Giants weren't informed of Tyson having Mono when he was first diagnosed when he was rehabbing?

Why did the Doctor in Calgary just let them know this, this week?

Big Daddy
12-01-2005, 02:45 PM
On my previous post I mentioned trading a good goalie (Tommy) and keeping an injured goalie didn't make sense. In my most current post I said they should trade Tyson in the contex of all things considered, this being the final straw. Mono can take up to six months to recover from. You are right Gfan, 16 is still a kid but he knew the potential for spreading this and the serious consequences involved if a skater should contract this. Bad call on Tyson's part. Man up, come clean, and don't make anyone else suffer for your selfish goals.