PDA

View Full Version : Howarth Traded For Linsley of Seattle

Jimmypop316
11-10-2005, 10:49 PM
The Spokane Chiefs have acquired 18-year-old David Linsley and a sixth round selection in the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft in a three-way trade with the Seattle Thunderbirds and Prince Albert Raiders. The Chiefs sent 19-year-old forward Kyle Howarth and a sixth round pick in 2006 to Prince Albert. Seattle will be receiving Prince Albert’s fifth round selection in 2006.

Linsley, a 6’3” forward, is in his second season in the WHL after playing 63 games last year with the T-Birds. The Outlook, Saskatchewan native scored two goals and six points in his rookie campaign and has one assist in 10 games this year. Linsley was originally a fourth round choice in 2002.

Howarth, who was acquired in a trade last year with Medicine Hat, is in his second full season in the WHL and scored 16 goals last year. The Winnipeg, Manitoba native has three assists in 16 games this season.

===

I figured this would have happened sooner or later, overall I believe its a good trade for the Chiefs. Howarth is definately a talent but he was underachieving this year, and hopefully he can pick that up.

Not only do we get a younger player, but we also get rid of a 19 year-old that possibly would have been traded away next year to reduce to the 3 20 year-olds next year (with Howarth gone they have 5). Not suprising they are already looking to next year.

Hopefully Linsley will be able to contribute, the team is having a tough time getting a steady gameplay.

LifelongChiefsFan
11-14-2005, 02:15 PM
It will be interesting to see how this trade works out. I kept waiting and waiting for Howarth to start lighting the lamp and it just never happened. Hope he does well with PA.

On a side note it was nice to finally see Spokane take it to someone and then not give up the lead. Good win vs. Portland.

Jimmypop316
11-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Yea, and its good to see the trades already paid off. Its taken Linsley 2 games to get two points (1G 1A) and Howarth only had 3A the whole time over there.

The ref was amazing, he was pretty much calling an NHL calibre game. Of course in the last 5 minutes, he made some questionable calls, but other than that it was a solid ref job by him, he even called a diving penalty.

rezstyle
11-14-2005, 05:55 PM
I'm not sure what to make of this trade. I like getting bigger and younger, and hopefully tougher, but as a different post I made stated, I liked the grabner/howarth/bruton line....

I catch a lot of Seattle games and don't recal Linsley doing anything...must not be a fighter.

Hope it works out for us.

LifelongChiefsFan
11-17-2005, 02:05 AM
Yeah I hope it helps too. I'm not suprised that this trade took place, but I am suprised Speltz pulled the trigger this early in the season. But hey he already traded away one of our better (best??) offensive players before the season started so why not another one (even if he wasn't scoring, Howarth was one of our better offensive weapons).

I'd still love to see the Chiefs go out and get a legitimate goal scorer, someone they can put with Klassen and Ryan. The last time the Chiefs had someone like that was back when Schell was still around. He and Klassen put up huge numbers. I wouldn't mind someone like that who will put in 35 goals and set up another 35 for Klassen. Probably too much wishful thinking though. Speltz hasn't pulled off a big/decent trade in several years.

Jimmypop316
11-17-2005, 03:04 AM
Speltz really hasn't been shining, but I think the biggest failure was the drafting over the past couple of years, and Reich was a perfect example of that. You never should be trading away 1st round draft picks, especially since theyve only played 2 years. Hopefully the new look of the scouting will be able to pick this up and get some better draftees going.

As for a high goal scorer, the last 50 goal scorer we had was way back when with Valeri Bure. It kind of says something good about the Chiefs, the only way you really are able to draft the star players are if you are doing god awful.

I am really impressed with Drayson Bowman though, this kid is amazing and hopefully he keeps getting better and better.

LifelongChiefsFan
11-17-2005, 03:22 AM
Oh man seeing that name brings back some memories. Bure and Bets what a dynamic duo. I remember when I first started going to Chiefs games in the early 90's and the Chiefs had Rich Parent and Barry Becker as their goalies. They'd get pizzas and still lose the game, LOL!!

But anyway, I agree with you about Bowman, the kid looks great. I think Solmonsson has looked pretty good too, although he's a little older. I'd just love to see the Chiefs put the puck in the net more, the Chiefs haven't had anyone really close to being a top 10 scorer since 03 when they had Schell and Klassen. And we don't even have to have anyone be a top 10 either if the scoring is spread around, but when the teams' top scorers are getting a little over 40 pts as was the case last year, it's just not enough to be a great team (unless you have super D like Everett or something).

Oh well, It's not a big deal, we'll see how the Chiefs do through the course of this year. It is kind of frustrating to see them be a mediocre team for so long, after they were a great team nearly every year through the mid to late 90's

Jimmypop316
11-17-2005, 06:21 PM
Yea, a return to glory days like that only means years of miserable hockey really. I think we've at least made a move to get away from the junk hockey thats been here for the past couple of years. Bill Peters is an amazing coach, and is doing a damn amazing job, hearing him talk on the sunday pregame after the TC loss was just like "yes you tell them Peters." He really has control of that hockey team, its good to see two coaches behind the bench this year, both are animated and both actually interact with the players.

I think Speltz has been getting a bad rap really... trade wise really. We really haven't had anything to offer other teams and what not. But if things get bad the organization will do something about it. We as fans had a huge input on Conroy getting fired/run out of town.

I still keep going to games regardless of our record simply because I love hockey. As for the Everett game this Saturday, I love hockey but my god I hate Everett "hockey". If we don't get on the board first that game is pretty much a nap.

rezstyle
11-18-2005, 10:37 AM
I'm more of an old-timer hockey fan. I started watching the chiefs back when they had Bertsch, Graf, Carderelli, Boschman, etc. Back in those days, the chiefs had much more people coming to the Arena than they do now...why?...simple, people love rugged hockey. I don't recall our record or anything, but I know we weren't great, but there was a lot of heart in those teams and they followed every check. As I mentioned in a previous thread, I saw a glimpse of that from our Howarth/Grabner/Bruton line vs. TC a few games back.

Rugged hockey wears on people and eventually you'll get your quality scoring chances. Unlike your opinions, I think we've been too offensive minded and we get all these "scorers" that don't assume the physical part of the game. The only problem is, our "scorers" just aren't scoring. And that's part of the game. You bring in a scorer, there's a chance he won't score. You bring in someone to play physical and grind, there is not chance he won't do it barring injury.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a 50 goal scorer, but knowing those don't come around too often, I'd rather see the Chief's pick up someone who is going to go out, get 10-20 goals a year, but finish every check and create for his line.

Secondly, you have to look at who wins matching up against each other. I'm going to use the worst example to illustrate my point here, but if TC ever started getting physical with the chiefs, there are only a handful of chiefs I think could really handle it....TC is huge in terms of team height/weight. In my opinion, these guys could run our division if each of them followed through on their checks, but I'm glad they are soft.

I simply think it takes heart whatever type of player you have on a team. I'm not sure if we get that all the time and I have no idea why because these kids aren't guaranteed anything. I see more heart from the players who are physical...Stoesz, Desautels, Lynch's...Even if they don't score, they won't get frustrated, the hit someone, fight someone, etc...do something to get the rest of their team in the game.