PDA

View Full Version : Wuchterl Traded to 'Canes

Tipped Off
11-11-2005, 05:08 PM
Posted : : 11/11/2005
Silvertips Trade Wuchterl to Hurricanes
Everett Silvertips and Lethbridge Hurricanes Make Deal
Everett Silvertips Press Release

Everett, WA - The Everett Silvertips have traded forward Michael Wuchterl to the Lethbridge Hurricanes for a 5th Round Draft Pick in the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft.

Wuchterl played a total of 115 games with the Silvertips in his WHL career. The Edmonton, Alberta native posted 4 goals and 10 assists for 14 points in his career with the Silvertips. Wuchterl also added 2 assists in 25 playoff games with Everett in the last two seasons.

"This was a difficult trade to make because Mike was an original Silvertip from the very beginning," mentions Silvertips Director of Hockey Operations and Head Coach Kevin Constantine. "Nonetheless, Lethbridge had an immediate need for players and we felt that in a month when we get healthy, Mike may have struggled to be in the lineup on a regular basis. So we felt it was in everyone's best interest to make this move. We wish Mike the best in Lethbridge."

The Silvertips continue their longest road trip of the season against the Calgary Hitmen on Friday night in Calgary, Alberta. Next home game for the Silvertips at the Everett Events Center will be on Friday, November 18 against the Kamloops Blazers at 7:05 p.m. For individual seating for all Silvertips home games, log onto www.everettsilvertips.com and for season, 22 and 14 game packages, flex packs and group tickets contact the Silvertips office at (425) 252-5100.

Tipped Off
11-11-2005, 05:09 PM
As coach K notes, Wuchterl would not have gotten any playing time in a few weeks when some of the guys came back. Just like the first few weeks of the season when he was a healthy scratch. Wookie isn't an enforcer, he's too small. He isn't a scorer as he doesn;t handle the puck well enough. Some on the board thought he brought energy to the team while others, myself included, just thought he took too many penalties at bad times. He's a good kid and I wish him luck in Lethbridge. As a hockey move, however, I stand firmly by coach K on this one.

Beaner
11-11-2005, 05:28 PM
Interesting they made this trade now, since they are so short handed right now. Why not wait a couple more weeks, when people are healthy, and then trade him. I'm sure that 2 weeks from now they would still be able to get a 5th rounder for him.

Tipped Off
11-11-2005, 05:38 PM
I am in the minority on this issue over on the Tips board, but I think trading Wuchterl is a case of addition by subtraction. Wookie takes a lot of bad penalties in bad spots. He's got 14 points in 115 games as a Tip, so it's not like they gave up any offense. He is so intent on making the hit, he sometimes forgets to play into Constantine's system. all in all, I think whoever the replacement is will be a better fit, offensively, than Wuchterl was. the first couple weeks of the season Wookie was a healthy scratch. He just doesn't fit in with this team.

Beaner
11-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Yeah I agree to an extent with what you are saying, however, who is going to be someone to keep the opposition honest with Mueller, Hamill and all your other skilled players? Wuchterel may have taken dumb penalties, but at least he kept opponents honest, and wasn't afraid to drop the gloves.

I personally couldn't stand that guy, but he is one of the players that you love to have on your team and hate with a passion when he isn't on yours.

The other point I was making is why right now? The tips roster is short right now, with all the injuries, why not just take a week or 2 before making this move. At least Wuchterel has been playing for the tips, and all you got for him are futures. Personally I think it would have been better to hold off until a few more of your players were off the Injured list then pull the trigger.

On the flip side - looking at what Constantine has done thus far with the tips, who the heck am I to question his moves. :laugh: