PDA

View Full Version : Pats release Jordan McGillivray

nivek_wahs
11-12-2005, 05:33 PM
November 12, 2005

PATS RELEASE JORDAN McGILLIVRAY (reginapats.com)

Regina SK ---- This afternoon the Regina Pats released veteran forward Jordan McGillivray.

McGillivray, a 6’0” 183 product of Regina was a fifth round bantam draft choice of the Pats in 2000. In 220 career WHL regular season games with the Pats, McGillivray had 36 goals, 23 assists & 399 penalty minutes.

“Jordan has been a productive member of our organization for the past four years and we certainly wish him the best in the future. As a hockey staff we could not justify having a twenty-year-old playing sporadically on our fourth line, and in turn leaving our younger players in the stands," commented Pats GM Brent Parker.

“We have attempted to trade Jordan’s rights without any success, but should we find a place for Jordan within our league we would gladly do everything possible to make that happen,” added Parker.

------
Not at all surprised by this move, Jordan has been a bench warmer for much of the season and hasn't looked sharp at all. But, that being said he missed training camp with an injury and has gone downhill from there. You can't have a 20 year old playing on the "4th Line." With that being said I wish Jordan the best of luck in his future... wherever he ends up.

Kevin

Number_4
11-12-2005, 09:37 PM
I wasnt too surprised by this move. Although to clarify, Jordan left the team, the team did not release him. He wasnt exactly sure this summer if he would play at all, and from what I heard and understood, when he did decide to play, being a 4th liner didnt help the situation. He will be missed, but I believe he will be pursuing other things besides hockey. I wish him luck in the future.

Golks
11-14-2005, 10:31 AM
I wasnt too surprised by this move. Although to clarify, Jordan left the team, the team did not release him. He wasnt exactly sure this summer if he would play at all, and from what I heard and understood, when he did decide to play, being a 4th liner didnt help the situation. He will be missed, but I believe he will be pursuing other things besides hockey. I wish him luck in the future.

Doesn't sound like he left the team according to what he said in the Leader-Post this morning.

Number_4
11-14-2005, 04:52 PM
It looks like there are a lot of stories brewing around this. I've been talking to people around town, and it seems like nobody knows the whole story. Listening to the pregame show and what was said at the rink during the game Sat, it sounded like he left the team. Now the official release (which is usually bs to cover Parker's ass) says he was released, as well as the paper today. Its odd, because that is in total contrast with what was being said at the rink. On the pre-game show, they mentioned that Jordy wasnt even planning to pursue other hockey things for now. The paper quotes Parker saying that he was looking for other options. Go figure.

This is the article from the paper that we were refering to:

McGillivray stunned by release

Greg Harder
Leader-Post

Monday, November 14, 2005

This time, it was Jordan McGillivray who got caught with his head down.

The hard-hitting left winger was "shocked" when the Regina Pats cut him loose on the weekend, bringing an abrupt hault to a five-year relationship with his home-town WHL club.

"I really didn't see it coming," said McGillivray, the longest-serving player on the team. "I've never played anywhere else or done anything else since I was drafted in 2000. It came as a shocker but (GM) Brent (Parker) handled it with a lot of class. I have nothing bad to say about Brent and the organization at all. It was tough for me to accept but things like this happen. It's a business. It's just one of those things that you hope will never happen to you."

According to Parker and head coach Curtis Hunt, the move was made because they couldn't justify using a roster spot on a 20-year-old who was playing a fourth-line role.

They felt it would be more productive to invest McGillivray's icetime in the development of youngsters Levi Lind, Brett Leffler and Jason MacDonald.

"We have to make our decisions based on what we think is best as an organization, not with your heart," explained Parker, who admittedly had a difficult time parting with McGillivray, a home-grown boy and nephew to former Pats star and NHL veteran Mike Sillinger.

"You need your 20-year-olds to be your top-end guys," the GM added. "I think he can play better than he did but a lot of that has to do with the new rules and the pace of the game. I think the speed with which the game is played now took away a little bit of Jordan's effectiveness."

McGillivray believes the problem ran deeper.

"It was more me and Curtis not getting along than me and the organization," said the veteran assistant captain, who had two goals and one assist in 16 games this season. "Not every player can play for every coach. I don't want to blame this on anybody but I thought I was capable of playing (more). I've paid my dues."

McGillivray was an established veteran on the team when Hunt joined Regina last season from the rival Moose Jaw Warriors. The pair got off to a rocky start but appeared to sort out their differences early in the campaign as McGillivray went on to tally a career-high 18 goals.

The honeymoon didn't last long.

"I think it had a lot to do with him being in Moose Jaw the years before and me playing against him," continued McGillivray, who was a healthy scratch on two occasions this season. "The rivalry has changed. There was a lot of bad blood between the two teams for a while. We just didn't see eye to eye a lot of times. He's the coach, so of course he had the upper hand. It's just too bad. I thought things were going to work out, but what can I do? I'm the player. It's their choice. I still wish the team great luck. I have no regrets for anything I've done or said."

Nor does Hunt.

"It's probably a fair statement that maybe we didn't see eye to eye," the head coach said. "But my relationship with Jordy really has nothing to do with what has happened over the last month-and-a-half in terms of his play.

"The decision was based on the direction of the team."

Despite his diminished role, McGillivray was quick to deny that he ever asked for a trade.

"No," he said emphatically. "I started here. I was drafted here. I'm from Regina. As far as I'm concerned I started as a Pat and I wanted to finish as a Pat. I wasn't going to quit.

"I love the city and I'm proud to be a Pat. It's just too bad I had to go out like this."

The Pats attempted to trade McGillivray but apparently found no takers. Parker said he will continue pursuing a new home for his long-time player, whether it be in the WHL or the junior A ranks.

For his part, McGillivray isn't sure what the future holds.

"I haven't really had a chance to think about what I want to do," he said. "It has kind of been a whirlwind of emotions.

"I don't know if I want to go play junior A in some small town.

"Maybe it's time for me to get on with my life."