PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts at the Quarter Season Mark.

Beaner
11-12-2005, 06:22 PM
Well, finally we reached the 18 game mark this season, the last team in the BC Division to do so this year, only 3 other teams in the league have played fewer games. Had a pretty easy schedule so far this year, travel wise, no 3 games in 3 nights, the majority of games at home (13 so far), but mostly against teams playing above .500 hockey. 22 points in 18 games would usually be good for not being in the basement in the BC Division, but a very strong BC Division is making it tough for the Giants to get out of last place. In any other Division we are sitting in a playoff spot, but, thems the breaks sometimes.

TEAM STATS
POINTS - 22 - 11th overall (tied)
SHOOT-OUTS - 1 win, 2 losses.
WIN% - .611 9th overall.
PIM - 380 15th highest overall
PP% - 18.40 - 8th overall
PK% - 88.20 - 4th overall
GF - 60 - 11th overall
GA - 44 - 4th overall
SF - 605 (33.6 shots per game) 1 goal per 10 shots.
SA - 330 (18.3 shots against per game) 1 goal per 7.5 shots.

TEAM RECORD
vs. teams over .500 - 8-5-0-2, 18 out of 30 points.
vs. teams under .500 - 2-1-0-0 4 out of 6 points.
vs. BC Division - 5-3-0-2 **1 shootout win**
vs. US Division - 2-2-0-0
vs. East Division - 0-1-0-0
vs. Central Division - 3-0-0-0
Home Games - 8-4-0-1
Away Games - 2-2-0-1

GOALTENDERS
Dustin Slade
Tommy Tartaglione

Overall I would say that the goaltending this year so far has been below average. An save% of .850ish is just not enough to cut it in this league. Tommy had a great pre-season, but has been somewhat average in the few starts he has received so far. Both goaltenders seemt o let in at least 1 poor goal per game. I am concerned with both of our goaltenders and how they handle the puck outside of the net, both can pass the puck very well, but their choices are not good ones most of the time IMO. Both have been caught outside of the net playing the puck this year for goals, making some smarter choices and keeping a solid position would be a big help. I 'm hoping both guys can pick it up in the next 18 games.

DEFENCEMAN
Paul Albers - Has been very good this year. A force on the PP, solid defensively, and a calming force out there. You could definatley tell when he was out the guys missed his presence.
Cody Franson - At times brilliant, other times the exact opposite. Makes some pretty poor decision with the puck in his own zone, sometimes I wonder what he is thinking. Just needs to sometimes make the safe smart play instead of trying to force something. I'd like to see a little more passion out of Cody, throwing a few more hits would be nice.
Brett Festerling - I never seem to notice Brett, but I think thats his game. I solid defenseman who just goes about his job quietly, making few mistakes. Be nice to see him get a few more points, but overall he has been very good.
Mark Fistric - Plays his game to a tee. Solid stay at home defensive defenseman. Throws his weight around, and keeps the other team honest around the net. Been very nice to see Mark back int he lineup, he plays grumpy all the time and it works well.
Jonathon Blum - I have been very happy with the 16yr old rookies performance so far this year. Managed to work so well in the pre-season and in the regular season that Egner lost his job with the team, IMO. Does not look like a 16yr old playing out there at all. I am concerned about his size right now, but it looks like DOn is keeping an eye out for his playing time, so he doesnt get worn out.
Brendan Mikkelson - Mikkelson is excellent. What else can I say, skates well, good defensively, anchor on the PP, he came as advertised. Shame he is out for 6 weeks, The team will miss him on the Blue line.
Jon Flatters - After a bit of a rough start, a few bad penalties, Flatters seems to have settled down, and is doing his job. Smash people around and get the puck out of the zone. Looked good in the one game that he played on the 4th line. Change of scenery may have been just what he needed to cut down on his bad penalties.

Overall, the defence this year has played fantastic this year. There really isnt much to complain about from this group of guys. They block shots, hit people and put points on the board. An arguement could be made that they are one of the top groups of Dmen in the league.

FORWARDS
Tim Kraus A much better year for Tim, scoring, throwing some hits, and just being in every game this year. Much better than in years past, when he seemed to take games off, and not be into the play much.
Mitch Bartley Solid work from Mitch, scoring a fair bit, and playing well defensively. A solid year from a 20yr. old.
Michal Repik A pleasant surprise this year from the Europeon draft, and I would say off to a great start for a rookie. Isn't afraid to throw his weight around and has a touch for putting the puck int he net. A very nice start.
J. D. Watt I think JD has had a rough start this year. A sloppy penalty per game, not scoring too much and not much in the hitting department. All that changed last night, maybe he has got it back on track.
Kyle Lamb Played pretty well overall this year, getting a few goals, and seems to be working hard.
Mario Bliznak Im fairly happy with our 2nd euro pick this year - I just wish he would shot the puck more instead of passing. He sees the ice very well, just take a shot every once in a while.
Jason Reese Tough break for Reese to start the year with the injury, but has played pretty well, in the few games he has seen so far. Hoping for a nice 2nd quarter.
David Rutherford Wow, rough year for Rutherford to start. Suspension 2 games with teeth knocked out, concussion. I like his style of play he plays like he is 6'4 225lbs. but Im concerned that his body won't be able to take the toll. Very nice touch around the net when he has been healthy.
Milan Lucic Another good start for a rookie. Throws his weight around well, makes a lot of turnovers, and some nice touch in front of the net. I've been very happy with his play thus far, more than what I thought we were getting with him.
Spencer Machachek Another solid hard-working effort from Spencer, nothing too flashy, but seems to be in every game he plays so far.
Keith Voytechek Another tough start for Keith, hasnt seen a lot of games, but seems to be getting each time he plays. I think Keith has some real potential, hoping he can have qa nice second half.
Chad Scharff Goes out there does his job wether its defense, or 4th line crash and banger. A nice player to have in your lineup with his versatility. Would be nice to see him every once in a while just drop the mits.
Mitch Czibere I am liking what I see out of Mitch so far, just another hardworking forward, going out there and playing hard.
Garet Hunt I am a bit shocked at the lack of games for Garet this year. I'll admit I'm a Hunt fan. Has cleaned up the stupid penalties he took last year, Hits anyone and anything that moves and brings a tonne of energy to the game every night. Won't back down from anyone. I've been very happy with his play thus far, I just hope he can get back into the lineup again.
Kenton Dulle Seen limited action, 6 games. Not too sure what to say about Dulle, IMO he has been pretty quiet out there.

Overall, the forwards, this year I think have played a much better team game then in years past. They all work hard defensively, forecheck aggressively, and support the Defense coming out of their own zone. It would be nice to see them bury a few more of those shots, but it isn't because of lack of effort. No-one really stands out as exceptional, which it makes hard to review their performance, but I like the way the team is looking overall, with their hard work and effort. Rarely if ever do you see guys taking nights off, which is nice change.

TRADES
Trading for Mikkelson is a steal. Gabriel may be great, but Mikkelson is the real deal, now. A very good move.
Didnt like the Egner trade, I think he had a lot of upside, but he wasnt getting to play here, so when he asked for a trade not much choice but to move him.

TEAM OVERALL
They have played well, for the most part this year. When they take nights off they lose. When they work hard and stay focused, they give themselves a very good chance to win.

Defensively the team has been great, offensively a few more goals per shot would be very nice. Seeing all the players block shots, and a constant rotation of players on the PK is very nice to see. I'd like to see a few more guys one time shots on the PP, I think it may help us capatilize just a bit more.

Coaching staff at the start of the year said that this year it was going to be scoring by committee and so far it has been. It's very nice to see that your 3rd or 4th line can pop a few goals instead of just relying on the #1 line, for all your offense.

I would still like to see our goaltenders pick it up a notch or 3, We should be winning more games when we limit teams to less than 18 shots. Those bad goals have got to stop.

I am very happy to see the team cut down on the penalties, unlike years past, the one time we got out of control, we lost both games, to Everett.

Overall, even though we are in last place in the BC Division - I think its been a very good start to the year for the G-men. Keep up the hard work guys, and heres to a good second quarter. :thumb:

NEXT QUARTER PREVIEW
Long Road trip East - 5 games in 6 Nights.
10 Road games, 8 Home.
2 @ 3 games in 3 nights, besides the road trip.
vs East - 7
vs Central - 2
vs US - 5
vs BC - 3

GF71
11-13-2005, 12:45 PM
Beaner I pretty much agree with your assesment. However, I am frustrated with Fistric's play. Yes he has been mostly pretty solid, but I think he does not throw his weight around enough. Whenever he decides to rough it up, it always seems to be with a smaller player. The season is young though...I just expected him to dominate, instead of being just solid and good. AS for Repik...wow...amazing for a 16 year old. I think he will be the next Brule without question. He may not have the nastiness that Gilbert has, but I have seen him beaking...he won't back down fro anybody. It will be interesting to see how his physical game develops. His scoring touch is unparallelled on the team. Blum has been everything he was made out to be and more. Once he bulks up his frame he will be a top two guy in the future. To me, he is the same calibre of palyer that Mikkelson is, just without the size. That will come though. Watt has been a disappoinment. He has had a few nice passes and a few nice hits, but he is missing a part of his game that made him effective last year. Some of the rookies are looking pretty good and unfortunately for Voytechek seem to have passed him on the depth chart. Will they trade him, or hang on to him for the expansion draft? will he be able to keep his spot on the roster? AS for the Mikkelson trade, wow... that has to be the steal of the league. We traded as list palyer, a project, and a plug and got a stud. The goaltending is a bit worrisome at this point, but with Sexsmith around now the competition should heat up, which should bring out the best in all three goalies until a trade is made for one of them. IF Columbus does re-assign Gibert to the Giants, I think it will be a mistake to keep him. It would throw off the chemistry. Of course, I would LOVE to see him play a bit more, but I think if he does come back the team woudl be best served packaging him with maybe one of the goalies for a star player that will be around for a couple of years.

Greg7
11-13-2005, 05:39 PM
I agree on Fistric's play being less than desired. Yeah, he's played well, but I really think he is capable of a lot more. Maybe it's partially because of the rule changes, but he doesn't seem to really punish guys like he can. Hopefully he'll make the WJ team and playing at that level will give him a boost. I'm also not a big fan at all of him being on the powerplay. Give all the pp ice time to Albers, Franson, Mikkelson when healthy, Festerling and Blum. Speaking of the powerplay, I can't figure out for the life of me why Don Hay puts his defenseman playing their natural sides on 5 on 3s. Put them on their off sides for one timers!!!! That drives me CRAZY.

Blum is very good, and I'm excited for his future, but I don't think he'll ever reach Mikkelson's level simply because he can't skate like that. He's fluid and has pretty good footspeed, but the acceleration and top gear of Mikkelson is unmatched by ANYONE in the league I've seen, and what makes this particularly amazing is that it goes in both directions. No one else faces the play skating backwards the entire length of the ice from the offensive zone to the defensive zone defending rushes, because no one else can keep up going backwards, but Mik can be at top backwards speed in a few strides and keeps up with no problem at all. That's ridiculous.

Festerling has been solid, but I'd like to see more offensive production. I still haven't seen the great offensive defenseman that the Giants were supposedly getting in that Vey deal. He has been solid defensively though, so I shouldn't complain. I'm pretty surprised the Ducks signed him though.

Goaltending has been frustrating, but I think the numbers appear a little worse than they really are because of the Pacific Coliseum shots counting. The Giants certainly outshoot nearly everyone, and don't allow a lot of shots, but there are a whole lot of times that I look up at the shots and think "***??". Ultimately that's not important though, because the goaltending needs to improve, and I don't need numbers to tell me that.

Overall I've been pleased for the most part, though, and if Brule comes back and either plays or is dealt for some scoring help up front, they should climb up the standings, and if on top of that the goaltending improves, I think they have for the first time a legitimate contending team.

Beaner
11-13-2005, 09:05 PM
I'll agree with Fistric, however like a lot of big mean defenceman, the League has basically removed the ability for them to do anything in front of the net, which of course, used to be his bread and butter.

Given the rule changes and the changes he has had to make to his game, I am willing to cut him some slack.

I'd like to see Fistric get more ice time on the PP, but Instead of being on the point, I'd like to see him parking himself right at the edge of the crease in front of the Goalie, running the screen and knocking in some loose pucks.