PDA

View Full Version : Giants 6 @ Blazers 1 - Sat. Nov. 12th

Beaner
11-13-2005, 12:10 AM
Watched this game online tonight. Another solid effort from the Giants in a nice victory on the road. Out worked the Blazers the entire game, looked pretty even in the first, Blazers faltered in the second and then came completley unglued in the third. A lot of Cheap shots tonight, might see a suspension out of this game I think. Looked to me the Giants continued from where they let off last night, and the Blazers did not show up.

NOTES
Dubnyk and Slade got the Starts tonight.
Maniago replaced Dubnyk to start the third period.
Slade left at the 4min mark of the third after being run over by Kassian. Replaced by Tartaglione.
Kassian received a 5 min. major for Goaltender Interference, and a game Misconduct.
Jorgenson left after 1 period, no word on what injury he may have.
Watt Left after the 2nd period, supposedly tweaked his ankle in the 1st according to Bonner in the Post game show, and he may have aggrivated it in the fight.
Slade was mostly pulled as a precautionary measure after being run by Kassian, favoured his leg, but Bonner said he thinks he is allright.
I could have swore Kraus left mid third after being hit with a high stick, but there was no mention of it during the post game wrap up.
Shots were 30-19 Giants
PP's 3/8 Giants, 0/5 Blazers.

GOALS
1. VAN Repik, (9) (Reese), 15:46 Reese chips the puck down the boards, Repik picks it up, runs around behind the net, with the wraparound and it somehow got in. How it got in I'm not sure, but it did.
2. VAN Scharff, (2) (Reese, Albers), 2:51 (PP) Reese takes a shot from the half boards, rebound to Scharff in the slot, who buries it.
2. VAN Lucic, (5) (Bliznak, Albers), 10:10 Bliznak with 2 Blazers on him tips the puck back to Lucic in the slot, and he drives it past Dubnyk.
2. KAM Rome, (15) (Eisenkirch, Steinmann), 15:16Rome, right off the bench, gets a drop pass from Eisenkirch, And he wires it past slade from the top of the circle, high, stick side.
2. VAN Repik, (10) , 15:36 20 seconds later Repik gets the puck in the corner all by himself, he cuts to the front of the night, reaches out slides it off the post, off Dubnyks glove into the net.
2. VAN Lamb, (8) (Franson, Bartley), 18:40 (PP) Franson fires a cross slot pass to Lamb, who one times it past Dubnyk
3. VAN Lamb, (9) (Reese, Blum), 11:27 (PP) 5-3, Giants moving the puck around, Blum gets it to Reese, passes it cross crease to Lamb who puts it into the open net.

FISTICUFFS
3 Tilts tonight.
Kassian vs. Watt
Right after the Giants 2nd goal, at the Faceoff, Kassian has decided its time to spark the team, and his Target is JD. JD, like many players, wants nothing to do with this, but Kassian drops the gloves and starts going on Watt, hitting him until JD drops the gloves and tries to hold Kassian off.Kassian just keeps throwing punches at JD, until the refs get in then JD tried to get some shots in. WIN: KASSIAN, JD wanted no part of this fight. Kassian got the instigator.
Hunt vs. Rome
Faceoff after the Kassian Major, Hunt decides to go after the 1st guy he can and that happens to be the much taller Rome. Rome pretty much tuned him up, but props to Hunt as he tried to get in close and get a few shots in, but didnt really get much in at all. WIN: ROME, Hunt got the instigator
Flatters vs. Delaronde
Delaronde catches Flatters with a hight stick, and Flatters has had enough. Flatters got a couple early shots in but after that he got tied up and it was all Delaronde. Flatters was never able to get his hands loose, and Delaronde caught him a few times with some over the top shots. WIN: Delaronde, Flatters gets the instigator.

OFFICIATING
Always so hard to comment on the officiating with these Internet boradcasts as you just cant see any behind the play stuff. I think I'll leave the judgement for the official for people who were at the game, but it looked allright to me from my limited angle. The official was Byblow.

INTERNET BROADCAST
The blazer broadcast is good, however, I dont like the behind the net cam they cut to every once in a while. You just cant get a feel for the play when they shoot from there. The Static Camera in the stands I think needs to pull back just a bit, the coverage is good, but its just a little too tight for you to see anything other than the puck area. Commentator is very good, I enjoyed his play by play. GRADE B+

DUMB PENALTY OF THE NIGHT
Kassian 5 for goalie Interference. The play was over there was nothing going on and he just ran Slade out of the blue. Slade had been beaking off at the Blazer bench in the 2nd, but that was just selfish and basically ended any chance for the Blazers. Im going to watch the archive again tomorrow and see if I can make out exactly what happened. You have to think he is going to get a suspension for that play though.

OVERALL
Dubnyk couldnt save the Blazers tonight.The Giants outworked and outplayed the Blazers, who once again lost control and took a lot of penalties. Discpline was the key for them in the Pregame show and they failed. A nice solid effort from the Giants tonight, they wanted to win the weekend series, and they did.
Reese had a great game, after being a healthy scratch, and I thought Hunt played well in limited action tonight. Nice to see both of them back in the lineup. :)

Nice way to start of a 6 game road trip. :thumb:

Have a nice drive to the Praries boys.

3 Stars
1. VAN - 3 Paul Albers
2. VAN - 32 Chad Scharff
3. VAN - 27 Milan Lucic

Ok, no Blazers deserved a star tonight, but Reese had a great game as did Repik. Not sying the Scharff/Lucic/Albers didn't but Reese was a force out there all night and Repik was very good as well. IMO Reese and Repik were 1/2.

Beaner
11-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Watched the archive of Kassian hitting Slade, and unfortunatley could not see exactly what happened. Camera didnt pick it up.

Puck went behind the net to the far corner, Giants player went around to get it, Kassian was following chasing the Giants player, Kassian cuts in front of the net, and then next thing you know, 2 sticks are on the Ice, Slade is flat on his back and the ref is calling a penalty. Couldn't tell if Kassian slashed Slade or just slew footed him or what the heck went on.

Referee had a pretty good view of it, he was at the blue line looking right at the net.

Don't understand why Mat even touched Slade on that play, the puck was no where near Slade, doesn't make any sense.

KBF
11-13-2005, 01:14 PM
It happened because of Slade acting like an utter and complete JACKASS all game. He had it comin and theres still plenty more where that came from. I hope he has an absolute miserable road trip and continues to get what he deserves.

Pretty classless act by the Giants last night, diving all over the ice.

Way too much stick work by both teams, you just had to know the refs would stop calling it after a game or 2.

And nice cheap shot by a Giant to take Jorgensen out for 6 weeks.

Very stupid penalty by Kassian but very much worth it.

GF71
11-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Matt, Matt, Matt. Weather Slade laid down on the play or not this was a stupid move on Matt's part. Stunts like that will do nothing but fuel his detractors fire that he is only a marginal player and goon at best. Doing stupid crap like that only hurts his team and makes him look like an idiot. I am sure Minnesota wouldn't be impressed. Yes the Blazers were out of it at that point in the game, but why continue to hurt your own team like that. Matt is a smart kid, but sometimes you have to wonder at his thought process.

Here is a bit of inside info...The Giants do indeed have a no fighting Kassian rule for two reasons. The first one is obvious...they don't want thier players hurt in a scrap. The second reason (And one that several players have told me) is that they would rather have him on the ice as much as possible to capitalize on his marginal play and rather slow (albiet vastly improved since his rookie season) foot speed.

Beaner
11-13-2005, 01:22 PM
KBF - what happened to Jorgensen? I watched the live feed, saw nothing, the Kelowna commentators missed the play completely, and in fact didn't even notice he was missing till half way thru the 2nd period.

GF71
11-13-2005, 01:40 PM
Wow KBF. You are pretty bitter eh? You have been trolling around on this topic on every board possible. How can you say the Giants were diving all night? Yes Slade embellished his fall. But to say the rest of the team dived all night? Give it up.

Such Sour Grapes. But think though...Slade is an agitator. He embellished a fall and made Kassian look like an idiot. (Matt is a very smart kid but either way bumping into him was a silly move) Before that he beaked the bench enough to have most of the Blazers try and take shots at him. Hell he got you so upset that you are going to every board possible to spew your opinion. It would seem he got under your skin too. And you know what? He loves that.

And for the record, Jorgenson was hit with a clean hit, he just took alot of shoulder, that is all. Maybe if the shoulder pads were not so hard he would not have been hurt as bad, but still...there was nothing cheap about the hit. It is an unfortunate result of today's equipment being as strong as it is.

rinkrat
11-13-2005, 04:46 PM
It seems obvious that Slade did his job last night.If he can have the opposition more worried about running him than scoring goals,good on him.It seems very unselfish on his part,unlike #21 in blue.
Getting the other teams fans riled? Thats just a bonus. :D

Beaner
11-13-2005, 06:07 PM
Hey Gents,

Nothing wrong with a lively debate, but before it gets out of control, lets try not to get into a name-calling, or personal attack thing here.

Thanks in advance.