PDA

View Full Version : Newest Am hopes to improve defense

HAF
11-13-2005, 02:37 AM
Newest Am hopes to improve defense
This story was published Friday, November 11th, 2005

By Annie Fowler, Herald staff writer

Landon Jones didn't make a good first impression with the Tri-City Americans.

Upon being traded from Prince Albert to the Americans, the 6-foot-2, 190-pound defenseman got on the plane without his hockey gear. Hours later, he played his first game with his new team Sunday against the Portland Winter Hawks.

Tri-City general manager Bob Tory thought Jones played well despite the circumstances.

"It's not easy when you haven't had a practice before a game," Tory said. "It's not easy to get defensemen. We tried to address our needs without compromising the future. It's a great opportunity for him. He will get a lot of ice time. If he plays a physical, solid game, he will make an impact on our club."

The addition of Jones should help shore up the Americans blue line, which has been marginal at best this season with three rookies, two second-year players and two veterans.

"Our blue line has hurt us this year," Tory said. "We thought we might get Clayton (Stoner) back, but what really hurt was Shane (Gimas) retiring. Then we had two returning defensemen instead of four. We were expecting Andrew Bentz and Tanner Stockwell to come in as 18-year-olds and get the job done, but they didn't. We went from having one of the best defenses to one that was weak."

The Americans started revamping the defense Oct. 8 when they acquired Cole Butterfield from Moose Jaw. Three days later, they traded right wing Kirk Meaver to Prince George for Ryan Gillen.

"The three of them give us veteran stability in our own end," Tory said. "They've worked hard, but we need to take care of business and win some hockey games."

Jones will get a chance to put his skills to good use this weekend when the Americans (4-11-0-0) play host to the Seattle Thunderbirds (6-6-1-1) tonight and archrival Spokane (8-9-1-0) on Saturday -- two teams against which Tri-Cities has a collective 0-4 record this season.

Jones, 19, was acquired from the Raiders for right wing Jarrid Dowhay and a 2006 seventh-round bantam draft pick. This is the fourth Western Hockey League team for the High Prairie, Alberta, native, who has spent time with Vancouver, Regina and Prince Albert before joining the Americans.

"I've never gotten a chance to prove myself," said Jones, who has been on teams with top-notch defensemen in the past. "I'm excited for the opportunity with a young, inexperienced organization in regards to the players. I hope to earn the time they are willing to give me."

In his first game, Jones was paired with veteran Logan Stephenson, with whom Jones played midget hockey with Notre Dame. He has also played summer hockey with Americans center Alex Aldred, which has helped make the transition a little easier.

"This is a good bunch of guys," Jones said. "You just have to find your role on and off the ice and contribute to the team and help them win. Teams demand a lot of their older players. You have to show the younger guys the way to turn the losses into wins. I've had success going deep in the playoffs with Prince Albert last year and I think I can help."

Jones will have a small fan section this weekend with his parents Garand and Debbie, sister Devyn and grandfather Roger Monahan in the stands.

"My dad and grandpa drove my truck down here from Prince Albert," Jones said. "They really like it here. My grandpa said he could live here."

Tonight is the second meeting of the season between the Americans and Thunderbirds, who won at Toyota Center on Nov. 4. Seattle, which practiced in Kennewick on Thursday, rallied from a 3-0 deficit Wednesday for a 4-3 overtime win over Spokane.

The Thunderbirds have won five of their last six games, outscoring their opponents 20-11.

"I think we are getting there, but I don't think we are a finished product," said Seattle coach Rob Sumner. "We are still toward the bottom of the standings and we aren't taking anyone lightly. We respect what they are capable of doing. It was a hard-fought game by both to the end last week."

NOTES: Americans C Ian McDonald needs just one assist to reach 100 for his career. É Saturday, fans over the age of 18, can donate a new or gently used book to the Columbia Reading Foundation in exchange for a lottery scratch ticket and a coupon good for $2 off the Nov. 19 game against the Regina Pats. É Regina D Andy Schenn isn't expected to play again this season, if ever, after being sent home this week because of lingering effects of post-concussion syndrome. Schenn, 19, missed the entire second half of last season after suffering a concussion. He returned this fall with a clean bill of health but was injured again Sept. 30 after taking a blow to the head during a fight with Red Deer Rebels tough guy Garrett Klotz. É Seattle, Spokane and Prince Albert hooked up for a three way trade Thursday, that sent Chiefs F Kyle Howarth to the Raiders and put Thunderbirds RW David Linsley in a Chiefs uniform. Through the trades, Seattle receives Prince Albert's fifth-round pick in the 2006 WHL bantam draft, Spokane receives Linsley and Prince Albert's sixth-round selection in the 2007 WHL bantam draft and the Raiders pick up Howarth and a sixth-round selection from Spokane in the 2006 bantam draft