PDA

View Full Version : Next years schedules

Spungy
11-14-2005, 03:25 PM
i keep reading that the divisions and conferences are changing next year. are there any facts to this? and if so what are the changes? I missed something i think.

Beaner
11-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Been lots of rumors about some realignments with Chilliwack coming into the League next year.

I have seen nothing to confirm any changes as of yet.

Might see the following -

Chilliwack added to BC Division.
Kootenay moved to Central, unless Edmonton is getting a team soon.

Then they would have the - if the 5th place team in the central has more points than the 5th place team in the East then the 5th place central team gets into the playoffs - Much like they did when Vancouver entered the league.

I think the other possible move is to completely realign the entire Western conference, creating a Pacific division (VAN, EVE, SEA, POR, TRI) and an Interior Division (PG, KAM, KEL, KOO, SPO). Not sure where they would stick Chilliwack in that case as both divisions would work for them.

But there are a lot of ideas floating out there right now - but nothing has been confirmed yet. I Imagine we wont here anything until the end of this season, but expect some shuffling to be made.

Also we have to wait and see if the League is going to add/move a team to Edmonton as well, which could throw a whole other wrench into everything.

Jimmypop316
11-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Wow.. how will 2 expansions draft in one year work?

I was most likely expecting Edmonton to get a franchise for the 07-08 season. But oh boy if they add them this year too, its gonna be crazy, will make sense though since it will even out the conferences.

Beaner
11-14-2005, 04:49 PM
I doubt they would add 2 teams for 06-07. I think we would have heard something by now if they were going to add a new team for 06-07.

But, if there is going to an New Edmonton team in 07-08, then that would effect what they do for division alignment in 06-07, IE: moving Kootenay to the Central. I doubt very much they would move the ICE over to the central for one year just to move them back the next.

WHEATMAN
11-14-2005, 05:51 PM
is looking for a team too, if they add edmonton and winnipeg for 07-08 it would balance the confrences

Beaner
11-14-2005, 06:55 PM
is looking for a team too, if they add edmonton and winnipeg for 07-08 it would balance the confrences

Actually that would unbalance them.

Add 2 in the East ( Winnipeg/Edmonton)
Add 1 in the West ( Chilliwack)

Spungy
11-15-2005, 06:53 AM
So I guess i really havent' missed anything. It would be nice to find how how they are going to do things..... get rid of the speculation.

Duct Tape
11-15-2005, 08:48 AM
So I guess i really havent' missed anything. It would be nice to find how how they are going to do things..... get rid of the speculation.

Good Luck, they probably haven't figured it out themselves. Whenever the next Board of Governors meeting is, then start watching for some news. Its not easy, and no doubt any team being moved that risks having their travel situation made worse will fight a re-alignment, so it will probably take some time.

On the subject of expansion, they would have into January or February of next year to make a decision for 06-07. IIRC the St. John & St. John's team that started in the Q this year was only made official in Mid January of this year, so their is lots of time to add a 2nd team for next year to balance the divisions or conferences.

Later

DT

The_Vulk
11-15-2005, 05:50 PM
What I can see them doing, is similar to what the QmjHL has done in the past.

Top teams in the conference makes the playoffs.

Eliminating divisions until further expansion.

So then, with each conference having 11 teams, the top eight makes the playoffs.

Spungy
11-16-2005, 07:48 AM
that is how it used to be in the west conference before everett joined and evened up the divisions

Jimmypop316
11-16-2005, 01:15 PM
So besides Edmonton/Chilliwack pretty much getting teams.. who are the other two cities that are looking for a team?

The one I'm most interested in is which one from the west they will add so it evens up, and if they do keep the US division what kind of US city is looking for one.

Tinner
11-16-2005, 01:18 PM
it would be nice to have another team in manitoba. i know grande prairie is actively trying to get a team, but not likely to suceed. what about Boise Idaho or Penticton.

Beaner
11-16-2005, 01:37 PM
So besides Edmonton/Chilliwack pretty much getting teams.. who are the other two cities that are looking for a team?

The one I'm most interested in is which one from the west they will add so it evens up, and if they do keep the US division what kind of US city is looking for one.

The only guarnatee is Chilliwack.

That will leave the West with 21 teams, East with 20.

Edmonton wants a team so bad they can taste it. Wether its expansion, or moving a team who knows. I do believe they have a standing offer out right now for something like 2M$, to buy a team.

Winnipeg is also interested, but there is also a big push to get the NHL back in the Peg.

I think the WHL will grant Edmonton an expansion team for 07-08, and that will balance the conferences. That will probably do it for expansion for quite a while.

Jimmypop316
11-16-2005, 04:44 PM
it would be nice to have another team in manitoba. i know grande prairie is actively trying to get a team, but not likely to suceed. what about Boise Idaho or Penticton.

Boise would be a good choice, but they have an ECHL team. If they ever dumped them I think they would be a good choice.

And Pentictions not to close to Kelowna market is it?

Edmonton is pretty much a sure bet right now, I think its just a matter of time before they get a team. I think its awesome that the league is flourishing so much.