PDA

View Full Version : Barthel suspension

Beaner
11-15-2005, 04:11 PM
http://www.whl.ca/news/?id=3392

-Seattle Thunderbirds defenceman Clayton Barthel had been suspended for one game for his actions at Portland on November 12.

Jovorock
11-17-2005, 02:28 PM
A good Kelowna boy was probly framed :confused: What happend?

Beaner
11-17-2005, 03:41 PM
Curious, I decided to watch the Archive and find out what happend and wow, am I glad I did.

Not sure if this is the incident that got Barthel the Suspension, but it must have been as no major penalty or Misconduct was given to Barthel during the game.

- Barthel is skating towards his own net, puck is nowhere near him, and Bubnik cuts across the slot and catches with him with what looks like an elbow to the head. Barthel goes down in a pile. NO CALL, even though it was at least a blatant Interference call, if not an elbow. Puck was nowhere near him.

- Grossman starts looking for Bubnik, and is crosschecking him in the back trying to get revenge for the Elbow to the head. Bubnik isnt buying. Still no calls, even though there are blatant cross checks to the back of Bubnik, who doesnt even have the puck. Bubnik and Grossman keep it going, even throwing some gloved punches, still no call. McEwan is now trying to get into it with Bubnik as well. Bubnik is just taking a beating, from Grossman and McEwan. Finally play gets stopped.

- Dubnisky now gets in there with them all, trying to get the guys off of Bubnik. They seperate from the pile, and Grossman drops the gloves and just pummels Dubinsky. Dubinsky doesn't even drop the gloves, just tries to cover up but is just getting creamed by Grossman, who is throwing multiple punches at Dubinsky. Meanwhile, Bubnik is tangled up with someone in a pile on the ice, the Linesman go there first.

- Meanwhile, Gabriel, skates in from his own Blueline, grabs the first T-Bird he can, and he gets Schappert. Gloves are off and Gabriel just starts feeding Schappert his lunch. Another T-bird comes in to help out Schappert, but Gabriel Manages to hit him a couple times as well.

- While Gabriel is pounding on Schappert and Grossman is pounding on Dubinsky, the Linesman have managed to get ahold of Bubnik, and are preventing the one Tbird from getting at him. They get these guys seperated and direct them off the Ice.

- Now as Grossman is pounding Dubinsky, Gordichuk has come in to help his team-mate, but whats this, Barthel, who just seconds ago was down and out on the ice, has managed to get to the opposite end of the ice, and is drapped all over Gordichuk hanging onto his back. Both Gordichuk and Barthel fall on top of Grossman/Dubinsky.

- Eventually Gabriel stops beating on his opponent, and the linesman manage to get the big pile broken up in the Grossman, Gordichuk, Barthel, Dubinsky pile up. More than a few shots have been thrown in that big pile up.

- I'm not too sure what the heck Barthel did to get the 3 game suspension, maybe it was for a Dive? Maybe he did something after the game? I think frame up may be the right call. And how did Gordichuk get away clean for being the third man in on the Grossman Dubinsky fight?

- Personally - I lay the whole blame for this event squarely on the shoulders of One person. Derek Zalaski. The hit on Barthel by Bubnik, was AT LEAST Intereference, if not an Elbow to the Head. If he wasnt going to call that, then the Cross checks to the back of Bubnik by Grossman were another penalty. Terrible - how he could miss all that is impossible. If anyone needed to be suspended from all this it should be Zalaski, it is inexcusable. He let that entire situation get completely out of control by not calling the obvious penalty. He didnt even add them on after his 5 minute meeting witht he linesman after they had cleaned up the ice. TERRIBLE.

Here is the penalty summary from that incident.

2 - POR Gordichuk, 7:49 - Roughing , 2.00min
2 - POR Gordichuk, 7:49 - Game Misconduct , 10.00min
2 - POR Dubinsky, 7:49 - Roughing , 2.00min
2 - POR Dubinsky, 7:49 - Roughing , 2.00min
2 - POR Gabriel, 7:49 - Roughing , 2.00min
2 - POR Gabriel, 7:49 - Major-Fighting , 5.00min
2 - POR Gabriel, 7:49 - Game Misconduct , 10.00min
2 - SEA Grossmann, 7:49 - Major-Fighting , 5.00min
2 - SEA Grossmann, 7:49 - Game Misconduct , 10.00min
2 - SEA Schappert, 7:49 - Major-Fighting , 5.00min
2 - SEA Schappert, 7:49 - Game Misconduct , 10.00min
2 - SEA Barthel, 7:49 - Roughing , 2.00min
2 - SEA Barthel, 7:49 - Bench , 2.00min
2 - SEA McEwan, 7:49 - Roughing , 2.00min
2 - SEA McEwan, 7:49 - Roughing , 2.00min (PP)
2 - SEA Scott, 7:49 - Bench , 2.00min (PP)

Jovorock
11-18-2005, 08:17 AM
Not that one game is a big deal, but it doesn't add up!