PDA

View Full Version : Blades Vs Hitmen

GBG BLEED BLUE
11-15-2005, 04:26 PM
the game started out with both teams getting scoring chances,the Hitmen took a 1-0 lead when the puck just barely croosed the goal line and Issac Reid was credited with the goal. Later in the 1st period Keegan Dansereau from Saskatoon score the Hitmen's 2nd goal which gave the Hitmen a 2-0 lead in the game. At the start of the 2nd period the Blades battled back and Evan Haw scored the first Blades goal on the Powerplay. The 2nd Blades goal was scored by Aaron Bader to tie the game at 2-2, at the end of the 2nd period. Also in the 2nd period Brandon Tidball squared off against a fellow 20 year old Kris Denies,Tidball managed to pull the jersey of Denies over his head and land some punches(so I would give the decision to Tidball in that fight), Chris Cloud also was involved in a fight with Dylan Yeo of the Hitmen,in this fight not too many punches were thrown,and it was really just a contest to see who could drag the other player to the ice and Chris Cloud was on top of the pile at the end of the fight. In the 3rd period the Hitmen were really putting on the offensive attack and Brett Sonne scored to give the Hitmen 3-2 lead and then Kris Denies scored to pad the lead for the Hitmen and make the score 4-2. Aaron Bader pounced on a loose puck and scored to pull the Blades within 2 goals. In the later stages of the 3rd period the Blades were trying very hard to even the score,Justin McCrae was in the right place at the right time and he got the puck and shot it upstairs to score a goal to make the score 4-3. The Blades just could not score the tying goal in the final moments of the game,with the goaltender on the bench for the extra attacker. Brett Sonne scored the 5th goal and game winner for the Hitmen. It seemed to me that Devin Setoguchi was trying to do too much in the later part of the game, that lead to some turnovers, and at least he was trying. Now the Blades 9 game winning streak had come to an end. On the bright side of this is that there is still many more hockey games to be played this season.

Saskatoon Blades Player Stats
Evan Haw 1 P.P Goal & 2 PIMS
Nick Knudsen 1 Assist & 2 PIMS
Dane Crowley 1 Assist
Joe Barnes Played in the 1st period, then was injured on a play and did not return
Justin McCrae 1 Goal
Devin Setoguchi 1 Assist
Brandon Tidball 5 Minute Fighting Major
Aaron Bader 1 Goal, 1 Assist & 2 PIMS
Michael MacAngus 1 Assist
Chris Cloud 5 Minute Fighting Major
Kevin Armstrong 21 saves & 2 Minutes for a Delay of Game Penalty

Calgary Hitmen Player Stats
Dylan Yeo 5 Minute Fighting Major
Keegan Dansereau 1 Goal
Kris Denies 1 Goal & 5 Minute Fighting Major
Brett Sonne 2 Goals
Carson MacMillan 1 Assist
Mike Reich 1 Assist & 2 PIMS
Dustin Kohn 2 Assists
Jeff Shultz 1 Assist & 2 PIMS
Ryan White 1 Assist & 2 PIMS
Karl Alzner 1 Assist
Issac Reid 1 Goal,1 Assist & 2 PIMS
Justin Pogge 18 saves

Shots on Goal
Blades-Hitmen
1st:4-9
2nd:10-7
3rd:7-10
Total:21-26

3 Stars of the Game
1st Star Brett Sonne-1 Goal
2nd Star Issac Reid-1 Goal & 1 Assist
3rd Star Aaron Bader-1 Goal & 1 Assist

Attendance

GBG BLEED BLUE
12-17-2005, 11:53 PM
The start of the game was at first a slow pace,but after that the Hitmen were you could say scoring goals left and right as the Hitmen scored 2 goals within the first 8 minutes or so,and it was then when Khudobin was pulled after allowing both goals,I do not think that those 2 goals were totally his fault,but maybe the defence did not do a good enough job or clearing out traffic from in front of the net,Evan Haw in peticular has been blocking a lot of shots, or it was that the Hitmen forwards controlled the puck in the Blades zone. Kevin Armstrong was put in net in relief. Before the first period was done the Hitmen scored a total of 4 goals.In the second period the talented line of Setoguchi,Bader,Barnes was involved in fights,I thought that was going to be just the spark or motivator that the Blades needed to try and tie the game and Chris Cloud also fought the American Ryan Letts.I thought that that the referee Zalaski could have called a better game(I am still waiting to see a refferee that will call a good game, The Blades did score a goal so the Teddy Bears and touques did fly onto the ice.The Blades came within 2 goals as the younger guys combined to score the 2nd and final gaol for the Blades.The Hitmen are a very good team as their overall record proves this. Craig Linker now a member of the Calgary Hitmen racked up 6 penalty minutes.The group of Hitmen fans that were at the game could sure be heard(becuse the Blades fans were silent when the Hitmen scored) the final score was 6-2 for the Hitmen,I am glad that the Blades only have to play the Hitmen once more in Feburary.A GoBladesGo chant was started in the third period I believe by a group of fans but it died out not soon after it was started. Tidball and Denies were standing and looking at each other or Tidball was probably trying to convince Deines to drop the gloves,but that did not happen. One more thing that I relized is that the trade deadline in on Jan.10th. Do the Blades need to move some bodies around or add another 20yr old?(Hint Hint) :) Obviously if any more trades are necessisary they will be made before Jan 10th.

3 Stars of the Game
1st-Keagan Dansereau who played in front of a hometown crowd
2nd-Dustin Kohn
3rd Star-Joe Barnes

Attendance
3,702(the attendance might have been higher if it was not this close to Christmas)

GBG BLEED BLUE
01-05-2006, 06:04 PM
I thought the Blades would win this game, because maybe the team would have that extra edge in them to make them want to defeat the Calgary Hitmen. The Blades played a good game in the early part of the game, 2 goals to take a 2-0 lead in the game although the Calgary Hitmen never gave up and played hard for 60 minutes and this is what I thought the Blades did not do: they did not play a full 60 minute hockey game. The Hitmen fought and battled their way back to tie the game and eventually win it in the dying minutes of the game. The Blades 16 yr old goaltender Braden Holtby who started the game played extremely well, but was not getting enough help as he faced 59 shots. The officiating in this game was terrible, for example when Dustin Kohn was taken down, he was awarded a penalty shot, then when Justin McCrae was in the same situation (on a breakaway) he was not given a penalty shot. If the referee is not going to call an fair game for both teams then, he should not be in any league, and should go back to officiating school or take: How to become a better referee 101 course. My message to the WHL is plain and simple: If you can not find referees that will call a fair game for both teams, then find a referee that can do that, and how a referee calls a game does most of the time does effect the pace of the game, final outcome and it also effects their reputation. So get it straight and at least bring referees into the league that can do their job (and call a fair game) The Calgary Hitmen never gave up and capitalized on their chances. The final score in this close game was 4-3 for the Hitmen.

My thoughts on the rookies or AP’s that played in the game

Braden Holtby- He played extremely well for a 16 year old goaltender, allowed the Blades to stay in the game and not let the game get out of control, also deserves to get 1 Star with the effort that he put in.

Teagen Zahn- He also played very good, he is a good positional player and threw some good hits too, I think he will be a key defensemen as he gets older and gains experience.

Troy Crowley- He very fast and knows when to use his speed, he also plays like an aggressive bigger forward< I think he a bright future. I think having his brother on the same team (and sometimes on the same line as him) and probably makes him feel comfortable on the ice. I am sure that Dane Crowley would stick up for his brother also, but Brandon Tidball does a fine job doing that also.

Attendance:

3 Stars of the Game
1st Star-Braden Holtby
2nd Star-Brodie Dupont
3rd Star-Keegan Dansereau