PDA

View Full Version : Brandon @ Calgary

RunTheGoalie
01-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Well, the Hitmen crapped the bed again. Everytime I start to get up on the team, they pull off a game like this.

I've got three words for everyone: SHOOT THE PUCK

24 shots, especially with the pressure we had on the Wheaties for much of the third period and OT, is embarrassing.

Andrew Ladd continues to be worthless. Another dumb penalty - amazing that one of our supposed offensive "stars" is the runaway leader in PIM - and otherwise was useless. With Getzlaf out, Ladd is the one who has to step up and lead this team on the ice. His only two decent chances were in the OT, and both were created by teammates. Without someone doing the work for him, Ladd is little more than a pylon out there.

Defensive breakdowns killed us. Brandon managed to get a man wide open in the slot five times. Scored twice. It should have been 4-2 Brandon after 40, but for some unbelievable saves by Pogge, who stopped a shorthanded breakaway, and then a rebound shot with nobody in front to save the tie.

Nichol made some unbelievable saves - when the Hitmen didnt miss the net entirely - to get the game into overtime, and he robbed Pushkarev in OT. One of those games where both goalies deserved the win.

As usual, the worst referee in all of hockey was at his best. Derek Herman had a great second period... Schultz came in and hit Monych slightly from behind (Monych saw him coming, but his back was always to Schultz). Probably should have been a boarding minor, not called. Courchene went after Schultz for it, and got a roughing call out of it. The two dropped the gloves, but Schultz lost his balance on the first punch, and both went down. Instead of roughing/fighting to Courchene and boarding/fighting to Schultz, Herman gave Courchene a double roughing, and nothing else.

Realizing he made a mistake, Herman let a blatant trip go that led to the shorthanded breakaway I mentioned. After that whistle, Landolt and Monych had words, and despite the fact that he wasnt even looking at the little tussle until a linseman told him to turn around, Herman nailed Landolt on a phantom slashing penalty to further "even up" his mistake.

That guy needs to go.

ScottyWazz
01-30-2005, 07:41 PM
Only having 4 regular defenceman and moving Landolt to defence, they were lucky not to get killed.

I was joking with someone that instead of the power play and penalty kill being sponsored, they should get someone to sponsor the passing and turnovers.

They need to get healthy to play to full potential. Sadly, playing shorthanded and playing Pogge to death-- fatigue sooner or later will set in, and this is not the time for it to set in.

The_Vulk
01-30-2005, 08:42 PM
Not have a full lineup of healthy defensemen was not good.

I was surprised that we could not call up a play or two. Someone told me that when had already called up some players earlier in the season, for the max. we are allowed to (for their age, etc).

And you could see how the referee effected the game. After so many no calls, then some calls being made, the Hitmen looked like they were afraid to finish their checks, etc.

For the sake of improving this referee, I hope the leagues officiating goes over the tapes and the game with him. Showing him the calls that should have been made and those he did make that should not have been, etc. But this not knowing from period to period (Heck, even shift to shift) how the games is being called, is frustrating for not only the players/coaches, but the fans themselves!

RunTheGoalie
01-30-2005, 09:04 PM
I think Herman is beyond hope. Can him and bring up someone with the potential to be a good referee.

I never heard what happened to Yagboski. What happened to him?

peatfan
01-30-2005, 09:30 PM
thats why he never got a pentaly, and it was a clean hit. I agree the ref was bas letting several blatent slash and spears go- Landholt on Stone for one, plus the slash to Landholt on the pp. Then he calss a shintzy pentaly on Kohn when he let all stickwork go. But Herman is consisten- he does this every game.
As far as Schultz is concernec he had better learn to fight if he wants a long NHL career. Doesn't have to be like Egener but at least stand up for himself

tazndevil
01-30-2005, 10:44 PM
Don't really know why I expected a better game with Pee Wee reffing.

Probably would have had a better fate if 3 of our defense were not hurt.

Oh well, at least we got a point out of it.

By the way Yacboski hurt his shoulder in the first period against PG.

Carson still suffering from the concussion he received from the Kamloops game.

And apparently Harder to a stick or a puck near the eye in practice.

Should explain why Landolt was playing defence for this game. Based on tonights game, I hope at least one of the D-men return quickly.

Taz

ScottyWazz
01-30-2005, 11:05 PM
Yeah, Yacboski is banged up bad. He's got a nice little sling job going for him. Getzlef still looks like he's seriously effected by the concussion, Harder was scouting the 1st period, which I found ironically funny, and Carson looked alright, but I'm sure it's just precautionary so he doesn't get worse.

The ref did make himself the centre of attention, but that's because he could have some kind of complex......at least-- that's how I feel.

Hitmen1
01-31-2005, 12:05 AM
I agree that with only 4 healthy dmen and then Landolt playing back there they were lucky they were not blown out of the water. Pogge is keeping them in alot games lately and it is time for the guys to help him out by scoring a bundle of goals.

Hitmen1
01-31-2005, 11:17 PM
Post game wrap up from the sun:

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/CalgarySun/Sports/2005/01/31/915348-sun.html

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/CalgarySun/Sports/2005/01/31/915349-sun.html