PDA

View Full Version : Giants 2 @ Pats 1 - Tue. Nov. 15th

Beaner
11-15-2005, 09:55 PM
A nice road victory for the Giants, in Dustin Slades return to Regina. Dustin played very well, keeping the Giants in the game in the first period, as I thought the Pats had the better chances. Giants worked hard once again, and did a pretty good job overall containing the Pats. A couple cheap shots in the third Period; Kalus checking from behind on Blum, got a 5 minute major and a game misconduct, and the Hit from behind that Lamb threw with 5 minutes left, only a 2 min minor for clipping on that one but - I thought it was worth more. Giants 19 game streak of out-shooting their opponents was snapped tonight. Giants FINALLY got out of the basement in the BC division tonight even though they have 26 points!

NOTES
Slade and Reekie got the starts.
Mikkelson (Knee), Watt (Ankle), Festerling (Ankle), and Czibre were the Giants scratches.
Scharff was moved back to the defence tonight with the injuries.
Blum left in the Third after a hit from behind, but returned to the bench later.
Shots were 31-28 Pats
PP 0/5 giants, 0/5 pats

GOALS
1. VAN Voytechek, (1) (Dulle, Hunt), 2:39 Voytechuk gets the puck at the blue line knocks it down with his glove, heads down to the circle and lets a snap shot go, right thru Reekie.
3. VAN Reese, (2) (Bartley, Lamb), 5:39 Bartley gets the puck out of the corner to Reese at the top of the crease, who fires it right past Reekie.
3. REG Tolpeko, (11) (Leffler, Robinson), 18:28 Puck comes out from behind the corner, across the Crease to Tolpeko, who ones time it past Slade trying to get over in time.

FISTICUFFS
Machachek vs. Fuder
Lamb throws a hit from behind, missed the Pats he hit, which causes a big pile up, Eveyrone pairs off, but the only 2 to go are Machachek and Fuder. Video feed only caught part of the fight, but from the little I could see, and the replay, it looked Machachek got a few of the better shots in. DRAW or slight edge Machachek.

OFFICIATING
Trevor Hrycuik was the official tonight, and I think the Giants were a bit lucky to get out of the first with only a couple calls against them. He blew the Lamb hit completely, that should have been at least 4 if not 5 for Checking from behind. GRADE C

VIDEO FEED
The camera is ok, but the position is at such a steep angle it is a bit weird to watch. The Audio is terrible. I got to listen to the commentators talking to the control/ producer, and in the third there was no audio EXCEPT for commercials in the third until there was only 5 minutes left. Then we got play by play again. I should send them a manual on how to work their equipment. :laugh: PS: the comments about their co-workers was pretty funny to listen to during the 1st Intermission.

DUMB PENALTY OF THE NIGHT
I'll give it to Kraus at the end of the third, mostly because I missed the major on Kalus because I was using the little hockey fans room.

OVERALL
Slade was the difference tonight. Played very well, and kept the Giants in the game. Giants were working hard again, but the Pats speed did cause them a few problems tonight. I thought the Giants really out-hit the Pats, but give the better scoring chances to the Pats. Look forward to seeing them in vancouver Next week.

Hopefully Blum is ok and can go tomorrow, otherwise it could be a tough night for Vancouver in MJ.

3 Stars
1. VAN - 37 Dustin Slade
2. VAN - 9 Jason Reese
3. REG - 15 Kyle Ross

Nice work Dustin, after all the press in Regina, get the Win and #1 star. :thumb:

Beaner
11-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Failed to mention that Rutherford was back in the lineup tonight after missing one game with a Head Injury.

Watched the Check from behind that Kalus threw on Blum. Puck goes behind the net Blum and Kalus go to chase it, Kalus grabs and throws Blum into the boards, from behind, with Blum about 2'-3' from the boards. Blums' head hit the top of the boards.

During the pileup, Blum somehow managed to not get pilled on, and managed to get up and skate off the ice, favoring his left leg.

Pretty bad hit, Blum had no chance to defend himself at all on that one.

Big Daddy
11-16-2005, 11:49 AM
I agree Beaner with the defenseless, brutal hit on Blum. Chicken s..t hit from a skilled vet for sure. However our hit from behind was not much better. Any word on whether a suspension will be issued?
I thought we did well to hold off a fast, skilled team last night. Slade was huge and kept us in it at times.

Beaner
11-16-2005, 11:56 AM
I agree Beaner with the defenseless, brutal hit on Blum. Chicken s..t hit from a skilled vet for sure. However our hit from behind was not much better. Any word on whether a suspension will be issued?
I thought we did well to hold off a fast, skilled team last night. Slade was huge and kept us in it at times.

I agree the hit from behind that Lamb threw was pretty bad as well. I mentioned that he only got 2 for clipping, but should have got 4-5 for hitting from behind on that one as well.

Maybe I didnt stress it enough, lol, the Lamb hit was just as brutal, and uncalled for.

I would expect Kalus to get at least a couple games, maybe 3 for that hit. It gets automatically reviewed by the league since he got 5 + the Game misconduct.

As to Lamb getting a suspension, that would reguire the Pats sending in the tape and asking for a review of it, since he only got a 2 min for clipping. I still think the ref blew that call. If it does get reviewed, expect him to get 2-3 games as well, IMO.

Big Daddy
11-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Thanks Beaner for the update, I'll be watching for any suspensions. Anyone have any word on Festerling and Watt for tonight?

Fight Guy
11-16-2005, 04:31 PM
The Kalus hit was bad...but when isnt a chek from behind bad? I dont know how the hell Lamb didnt get the same treatment. It was directly infront of me, and it was a clear check from behind sending Lind's face into the top of the boards. I do belive it was called a check from behind in the building...but 2 minutes? I feel all check from behinds should be called majors. You cant say one was worse than the other. The ref missed alot of crap during the game. The Giants costantly held and interfered with players behind AND in front of the play, and nothing was called ever. I dont know what the hell happened to the crack down on obstruction. There is less getting called than there was last season. Less and less is getting called every game. And im still trying to figure out what happened to calling goalies for delay of game if the cover the puck out of the crease or if there is no one around, and not just getting blown dead. I really do think it should be looked into because the only rules that seem to be standing are ones that involve lines on the ice.

Otherwise, it was a very good game. Lots of hitting and speed(when there was no obstructing occuring). Slade played awsome in his return. I was really hoping he would have hit Kalus when he was behind the net on the ice. He looked like he was gonna do something...then stopped and backed away. And I was really hoping the Lamb hit aftermath got more out of hand as everyone was paired up and Reekie was waiting at the bule line...just in case the oppertunity arose.

PATS WIN!!! PAts waa...........nevermind. :p

Beaner
11-17-2005, 01:19 PM
Kalus got a 1 game suspension. Bit surprised, thought the league didnt want those hit from behinds in the game at all. Maybe only 1 because Blum wasn't hurt, or since it's his first offense?

Lamb got nothing, not sure if the tape was even sent in by the Pats.

WHL ANNOUNCES SUSPENSION

-Regina Pats forward Petr Kalus has been suspended for one game for receiving a major and a game misconduct for checking-from-behind versus Vancouver on November 15th.