PDA

View Full Version : Unlucky Loss Saturday Night To Rockets

Kassian
01-30-2005, 07:48 PM

The Vancouver Giants turned in their best effort of the season on Saturday and were unlucky to lose to the Kelowna Rockets 2-1 at the Pacific Coliseum. Dead even with one of the Canadian Hockey League's best teams for about 58 minutes, mass confusion in front of a panicked Marek Schwarz led to the game-winning goal in the last two minutes of regulation time.

A scoreless first period spilt over into the second when the two clubs got goals a few minutes apart at the midway point. Blake Comeau got the Rockets going with a powerplay marker at 8:38, before the Giants tied it on a two-man advantage at 11:15. After Cam Cunning and Gilbert Brule both had chances, Adam Courchaine buried his 21 st tally of the campaign to tie the match. Justin Keller potted his 20 th to decide the contest at 18:10 of the third, supremely bad luck for Vancouver who was busy out-shooting Kelowna 11-6 in the final stanza and 26-24 in the game. The G-Men peppered Rockets' goalie Derek Yeomans with 22 shots in the second and third periods following a guarded start.

“I thought we had a real solid game,” Giants' Head Coach Don Hay said. “We did a lot of good things in the third period. We were physical, we created a lot of turnovers, we had a lot of scoring chances and we made one mistake and they capitalized on it. That's the sign of a real good hockey team – they can capitalize when they get the opportunity. We had more opportunities to score, but we couldn't put it away.”

Wingers Cam Cunning and Triston Grant made numerous hits to cause turnovers in the third period, jarring the puck loose for linemates in position to go on the attack. Cunning alone knocked down four or five Rockets and Grant fought twice. Kelowna 's Liam Couture gave the Giants' captain a good bout early on, but Grant beat up a bigger Troy Bodie later in the game.

Cunning came to Vancouver from Kamloops in a trade deadline deal for fighter Matt Kassian and the Powell River product did not disappoint on Saturday. He collected an assist for the second straight night and really asserted himself physically.

“I think I did what they wanted me to do when they brought me here,” Cunning said. “This game was like a playoff game and that's how it's going to be.”

Skating on a top line alongside Courchaine and Matt Robinson for the past few weeks, Cunning played with Brule and Mitch Bartley for most of the game versus Kelowna .

“Brule's a really skilled player,” he smiled. “You just give him the puck and work around him. I was laying the body out there to create some space for those guys so they can put the puck in the net.”

If Vancouver plays the way they did on Saturday when they head out on the road next week, it could be a very successful trip. The Western Hockey League schedule maker was a little more kind this time around as the Giants embark on a foray through the Central Division. They played five games in six nights on a similar venture at the beginning of November, but have an extra couple of days to rest and practice. They also come back via Spokane and will be away from home until February 16.

“We battled very hard and that's what you have to do against Kelowna ,” Hay surmised. “They're a team that really works and comes at you. Maybe we deserved a tie, but we sure didn't deserve the loss.”

The Giants play on Wednesday in Red Deer , then head to Swift Current and Lethbridge next Friday and Saturday. They're in Medicine Hat on February 8th and Calgary the following night. The team will wrap up their journey on February 12th against the Chiefs.

Kassian
01-30-2005, 07:49 PM
Tough loss. The Giants outplayed the Rockets and definitely should've won. I hate seeing games being decided on lucky fluke goals. :(

Beaner
01-31-2005, 12:51 AM
Best game of the year thus far.

Was a bit surprised at the 3 star selection though. Thought Grant or Cunning deserved the 3rd star.

Hopefully the Rockets are using up all their late game winning goal luck now in the regular season....

C.F
01-31-2005, 01:00 AM
Best game of the year thus far.

Was a bit surprised at the 3 star selection though. Thought Grant or Cunning deserved the 3rd star.

Hopefully the Rockets are using up all their late game winning goal luck now in the regular season....
Kootenay now leads the division, so I really hope so.

Kassian
01-31-2005, 01:05 AM
Grant should've gotten a star. He was a huge force out there last night. Plus you could tell the Giants were lifted after both his scraps.

Beaner
01-31-2005, 01:18 AM
Yeah, I liked how Grant gave the "Bring it on" move to, I think it was Bodie, after the second fight.

Watching him skate away to the bench was priceless as Grant sat ready at the faceoff circle.

Kassian
01-31-2005, 01:46 AM
Yeah, I liked how Grant gave the "Bring it on" move to, I think it was Bodie, after the second fight.

Watching him skate away to the bench was priceless as Grant sat ready at the faceoff circle.

Yeah that was great. Grant gave him the chicken taunt. :D

Jovorock
01-31-2005, 07:21 AM
Yeah that was great. Grant gave him the chicken taunt. :D
I wouldn't give too much into Grant giving Bodie the chicken taunt. Bodie isn't in grant's league.

How about after Weber beat the crap out of Grant last year in Kelowna, this year Weber leveled Grant with a clean check and Grant didn't even respond?

If Grant is so tough why doesn't he try Weber again?

Beaner
01-31-2005, 10:48 AM
I wouldn't give too much into Grant giving Bodie the chicken taunt. Bodie isn't in grant's league.

Maybe Bodie should learn not to flap his gums so much then? :)

How about after Weber beat the crap out of Grant last year in Kelowna, this year Weber leveled Grant with a clean check and Grant didn't even respond?

That would be a good tilt to see, but I doubt we will ever see that one come around in a 1 goal game. Both Grant and Weber know they are needed on the ice not in the box.

Bodie challenged Grant in that first scrap, FYI.

mccabe23
01-31-2005, 11:14 AM
I agree with Bodie looking for the fight more than Grant. Bodie was pissed off as Grant ran Spurgeon hard into the bench. I give Bodie credit for stepping up for his teammate but Bodie bit off more than he can chew in that one.

It was a hard, physical game for both teams and great entertainment for the fans.

The only thing that pissed me off was when Weber was going back to his end to grab the puck and Brule nailed him from behind. I'm a fan of Brule but he doesn't make a lot of wise choices all the time. If the game wasn't so close, I'm certain Weber would have grabbed Brule and unloaded. Ever since the WJHC, Weber has had a bullseye on his back. It's too bad the bullseye wasn't on his chest. I also recall a Portland player running Weber from behind, hard as well the other night.

I'll take a lot of heat for this but Brule is turning into a Scottie Upshall. I hope he doesn't as Brule is an awesome player.

Gman
01-31-2005, 04:06 PM

Ahh Jovorock. I seem to recall you mentioning this Weber/Grant scrap on another board. Both times you made it sound like Weber dominated Grant in a straight up fight, and both times you forgot to mention that Grant was trying fight someone else at the time(it was Josh Georges over his big mouth and stickwork). Weber jumped in on Grant and still barely got the decision even though he caught Grant by suprise. The only other time I can remember these two hooking up was two seasons ago, and that one didn't go Weber's way at all. :D

The other thing I don't get is why Grant would "respond" to a clean hit? :confused: It's the dirty stuff he takes exception to.

mccabe23
01-31-2005, 04:21 PM
I really don't think Weber and Grant would drop the gloves. Grant has way too much respect or possibly fear for Weber. Weber hit him with one of the biggest bodychecks I can remember this year and Grant took it like a man and skated off the ice. Grant could have went after Shea or beaked off at him all night. But he didn't. I have a lot of respect for Grant. However, if the two do meet up and fight later this year, it will be a great battle! Neither of the two are tougher. They are equal in toughness in my books and it would be a highlite reel scrap. Two good guys going at it....That's hockey!

Kassian
01-31-2005, 05:08 PM
If you all think Grant is afraid of Weber you are living in a dream world.

mccabe23
01-31-2005, 05:32 PM
Wake me up when they square off! lol :D

Seriously though, it would be one hell of a fight. If some of you think Grant would rock Shea with ease, wake up. I've seen Shea pissed off. Doesn't happen much but when it does....... :eek:

Kassian
01-31-2005, 05:46 PM
Wake me up when they square off! lol :D

Seriously though, it would be one hell of a fight. If some of you think Grant would rock Shea with ease, wake up. I've seen Shea pissed off. Doesn't happen much but when it does....... :eek:

Grant has been one of the most active and best fighters in the league for several years. Based on that fact alone Grant would win. There is a reason why Grant is considered one of the toughest if not the toughest in the WHL and Weber isn't.

That isn't Weber's game. Sure he can get pissed off and I'm sure he is capable of winning a fight but so is Grant. He's done it a lot more often than Weber...

rinkrat
01-31-2005, 05:50 PM
for the trash talking to start! Its inevitable,in this type of forum,and I really don't mind it...Just pointing out to the pie in the sky,warm and fuzzy hockey talk dreamers!Just wait till the playoffs...By the way,the Rockets were lucky to get out of town with 2 points,eventually their last minute goal routine will run outta luck,hopefully in time for the playoffs!

Kassian
01-31-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm not trash talking at all. Just stating the facts.

They are all trying to make Weber out to be tougher than he really is. I'm sure the kid is tough. But he needs to drop the gloves a little more than 2 times in a season in order to prove that. Grant has already proved himself over and over again for several years in the WHL. He has nothing left to prove in that department.

Grant's job is to fight. Weber's isn't. Therefore to make the assumption that Weber is "tougher" or a "better fighter" than Grant is ridiculous and incorrect.

mccabe23
01-31-2005, 06:14 PM
I'm not trash talking at all. Just stating the facts.

They are all trying to make Weber out to be tougher than he really is. I'm sure the kid is tough. But he needs to drop the gloves a little more than 2 times in a season in order to prove that. Grant has already proved himself over and over again for several years in the WHL. He has nothing left to prove in that department.

Grant's job is to fight. Weber's isn't. Therefore to make the assumption that Weber is "tougher" or a "better fighter" than Grant is ridiculous and incorrect.

Please point out where someone said Weber is "tougher" or a "better fighter" then Grant. You are right though, Weber isn't a fighter and his awesome play is why he was selected to the World Juniors. Seeing Weber play over the years, I can make an honest assesment that he would give Grant a solid fight and POSSIBLY win. POSSIBLY. Until you have seen Weber fight in a few games, you can't make the comment that Grant would win for sure. :p

Kassian
01-31-2005, 06:24 PM
Please point out where someone said Weber is "tougher" or a "better fighter" then Grant. You are right though, Weber isn't a fighter and his awesome play is why he was selected to the World Juniors. Seeing Weber play over the years, I can make an honest assesment that he would give Grant a solid fight and POSSIBLY win. POSSIBLY. Until you have seen Weber fight in a few games, you can't make the comment that Grant would win for sure. :p

Fair enough. I never said Weber couldn't beat Grant. I just said the chances aren't likely. If they fought ten times I'm sure Weber would win a few times. But Grant would win a majority of them.

Jovorock was the one that was implying that Grant was afraid of Weber. I assume he was being serious even though I found it quite humorous....

mccabe23
01-31-2005, 06:32 PM
As a Rockets fan, I got to favor my team of course! :) But I'll tell you this, I'd love to have Grant on my team anyday. It's nice to see a tough guy that can score and not go looking for fights just for the sake of fighting. He sticks up for his team and WOW, he sure made Bodie look silly the other night! lol

Kassian
01-31-2005, 06:39 PM
I totally understand that. And I appreciate your honesty.