PDA

View Full Version : Barnes

Triton
11-16-2005, 03:24 PM
Is Joe Barnes having season ending surgery to repair his neck?Heard something along the line's of that.Is there any truth to it?

Warrior Fan
11-16-2005, 06:00 PM
but I have no idea of the validity of this. I assume it has Saskatoon fans a little concerned that their top line center may be down and out.

I would like to find out for sure. Hope he is okay though. Would have been nice to see him play in MJ on Friday.

Good luck Joe!

mat01800
11-16-2005, 06:10 PM
Is Joe Barnes having season ending surgery to repair his neck?Heard something along the line's of that.Is there any truth to it?

Haha what? Hes played every game this year up till last nite when he left due to an arm injury after a collision with a hitmen player. Sounds like crap to me. Why would you play a few games at the start of the year and then have your surgery

Tidball
11-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Haha what? Hes played every game this year up till last nite when he left due to an arm injury after a collision with a hitmen player. Sounds like crap to me. Why would you play a few games at the start of the year and then have your surgery

I heard its 2-6 weeks. I'll talk to one of the guys and find out forsure.

mat01800
11-17-2005, 07:57 AM
I heard its 2-6 weeks. I'll talk to one of the guys and find out forsure.

At least 2 weeks with an arm injury according to the sports from last nite

shazam
11-17-2005, 05:22 PM
Blades website says 6 - 8 weeks.

Ouch... that sure hurts for the team.

mat01800
11-17-2005, 06:40 PM
Blades website says 6 - 8 weeks.

Ouch... that sure hurts for the team.

Give us the press release cause I am not seeing that anywhere

Triton
11-17-2005, 09:30 PM
Here it is.Now you know the truth,so quit defending a case you didn't have.

McCrae moves up the line

Cory Wolfe
The StarPhoenix

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Saskatoon Blades centre Justin McCrae knew something was up Wednesday when he arrived at Credit Union Centre and found a grey practice jersey in his stall.

McCrae, who normally wears white during practice as the third-line centre, has been promoted to the top line. He'll debut with wingers Devin Setoguchi and Aaron Bader during Friday's first-place showdown in Moose Jaw.

Blades coach-GM Lorne Molleken made the shuffle after learning that centre Joe Barnes will be sidelined for two to six weeks with a separated shoulder.

"When you lose a player of (Barnes's) stature, it hurts you," said Molleken. "But it gives Justin McCrae an opportunity to play with some older guys with some experience."

McCrae, a 17-year-old sophomore, is perhaps best described as the Blades' best supporting actor. He couldn't hide his smile when he learned that he was being thrust into a leading role.

"When you're playing with older players, they have a little more experience so they know where to be and what you need to do defensively and offensively to score goals," said McCrae. "It's an opportunity for me to play with these guys and it'll be fun."

The injury bug has started to nibble away at the Blades' forward depth. Winger Ryan Menei turned his ankle last weekend in Regina and will be out until at least Dec. 1. Barnes went down Tuesday after an open-ice collision with Calgary Hitmen forward Keegan Dansereau.

"It kind of puts a dent in our top two lines," said Molleken.

Chris Cloud has moved into Menei's spot alongside Wacey Rabbit and Zdenek Bahensky. With McCrae moving up the depth chart, rookie Colton Gillies will slide in to centre Blair Macaulay and Michael MacAngus.

The timing of Barnes's injury is tough to swallow. Besides missing at least two first-place showdowns with the Moose Jaw Warriors, he'll miss the ADT Canada-Russia Challenge scheduled for Nov. 30 at Credit Union Centre.

Barnes, who is among the Western Hockey League's top-20 scorers with 23 points in 24 games, was knocked out Tuesday's 5-3 loss to Calgary early in the second period.

"Dansereau had the puck and he was skating at me so I went to hit him," said Barnes. "I led with my left shoulder and we both went off balance. . . . I felt the pain and more of a popping sound in my shoulder. I knew there was something wrong."

The impact aggravated a nagging injury for the 6-foot-4, 220-pound centre.

"One of the things he was concentrating a lot on this year was playing a physical game," said Molleken. "He was banged and bruised heading in and the hit (Tuesday) put the icing on the cake."

The Carolina Panthers, who drafted Barnes in the third round last summer, envision him as a power forward in the pro ranks.

"They stressed that being a bigger player, I'd have to use my body and be more of a (Josef) Vasicek type of player, who throws his body around and goes to the net," said Barnes.

BLADE BITS: D Craig Lineker, who had been sidelined by a back injury, is expected to play Friday. With the Blades down one forward due to Barnes's injury, the team will dress seven defencemen.

mat01800
11-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Here it is.Now you know the truth,so quit defending a case you didn't have.

McCrae moves up the line

Cory Wolfe
The StarPhoenix

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Saskatoon Blades centre Justin McCrae knew something was up Wednesday when he arrived at Credit Union Centre and found a grey practice jersey in his stall.

McCrae, who normally wears white during practice as the third-line centre, has been promoted to the top line. He'll debut with wingers Devin Setoguchi and Aaron Bader during Friday's first-place showdown in Moose Jaw.

Blades coach-GM Lorne Molleken made the shuffle after learning that centre Joe Barnes will be sidelined for two to six weeks with a separated shoulder.

"When you lose a player of (Barnes's) stature, it hurts you," said Molleken. "But it gives Justin McCrae an opportunity to play with some older guys with some experience."

McCrae, a 17-year-old sophomore, is perhaps best described as the Blades' best supporting actor. He couldn't hide his smile when he learned that he was being thrust into a leading role.

"When you're playing with older players, they have a little more experience so they know where to be and what you need to do defensively and offensively to score goals," said McCrae. "It's an opportunity for me to play with these guys and it'll be fun."

The injury bug has started to nibble away at the Blades' forward depth. Winger Ryan Menei turned his ankle last weekend in Regina and will be out until at least Dec. 1. Barnes went down Tuesday after an open-ice collision with Calgary Hitmen forward Keegan Dansereau.

"It kind of puts a dent in our top two lines," said Molleken.

Chris Cloud has moved into Menei's spot alongside Wacey Rabbit and Zdenek Bahensky. With McCrae moving up the depth chart, rookie Colton Gillies will slide in to centre Blair Macaulay and Michael MacAngus.

The timing of Barnes's injury is tough to swallow. Besides missing at least two first-place showdowns with the Moose Jaw Warriors, he'll miss the ADT Canada-Russia Challenge scheduled for Nov. 30 at Credit Union Centre.

Barnes, who is among the Western Hockey League's top-20 scorers with 23 points in 24 games, was knocked out Tuesday's 5-3 loss to Calgary early in the second period.

"Dansereau had the puck and he was skating at me so I went to hit him," said Barnes. "I led with my left shoulder and we both went off balance. . . . I felt the pain and more of a popping sound in my shoulder. I knew there was something wrong."

The impact aggravated a nagging injury for the 6-foot-4, 220-pound centre.

"One of the things he was concentrating a lot on this year was playing a physical game," said Molleken. "He was banged and bruised heading in and the hit (Tuesday) put the icing on the cake."

The Carolina Panthers, who drafted Barnes in the third round last summer, envision him as a power forward in the pro ranks.

"They stressed that being a bigger player, I'd have to use my body and be more of a (Josef) Vasicek type of player, who throws his body around and goes to the net," said Barnes.

BLADE BITS: D Craig Lineker, who had been sidelined by a back injury, is expected to play Friday. With the Blades down one forward due to Barnes's injury, the team will dress seven defencemen.

I knew he was hurt I was at the game. Just settle down man. Like I said at least two weeks he would be hurt. It has nothing to do with his neck

shazam
11-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Give us the press release cause I am not seeing that anywhere

Blades Website - Game Story

November 18 @ Warriors

November 18th Saskatoon Blades @ MJ Warriors
The Blades are sporting a 14-8-1-1 record thus far in the 2005-06 season. The Blades next game after tonight is tomorrow night back at Credit Union Centre versus the Vancouver Giants. The Blades are 5-4 on home ice thus far this season, 9-4-1-1 on the road. The Blades had won 8 straight before Tuesday’s 5-3 loss at home versus the Hitmen. The Blue & Silver are in 2nd place in the Eastern Division with 30 points, just one point behind the 1st place Moose Jaw Warriors. Only tonight’s opponent, the MJ Warriors have scored more goals thus far than the Saskatoon Blades.

The Blades are coming into tonight’s game after a 5-3 loss Wednesday night versus the Calgary Hitmen. The Hitmen scored the empty netter to make it a 2 goal game. The Blades got goals from Evan Haw, Aaron Bader and Justin McCrae. Devin Setoguchi added a pair of assists in the contest. The Blades were 1/3 with the man advantage, while the Hitmen were 0/3. Netminder Kevin Armstrong stopped 21 of 26 shots in the loss. It was his first loss in six straight starts.

BLADES VS. MOOSE JAW WARRIORS Last year the Blades were 7-2 in 9 games versus the Warriors. In the only game the Blades and Warriors have played this year, the Warriors beat the Blades 9-3. Coming into today’s game the Warriors and Blades sit in first and second respectively in the Eastern Division with 7 more head to head match-ups yet to be played this season. The Blades are 8-2 in their last 10, while the Warriors are 6-4. Tonight’s game also features the 2 highest scoring teams in the WHL, and the top 3 scorers in the WHL in Troy Brouwer, Dustin Boyd, and Devin Setoguchi. The Blades are 9-4-2 on the road this year; the Warriors are 8-2-1 on home ice thus far. These two clubs next meet on the 26th as the Warriors will make their first trip to Saskatoon this year.

BLADES NEWS & NOTES The Blades will be hosting the 2005 ADT Canada-Russia Challenge on Wednesday November 30th at Credit Union Centre. A luncheon will be held in conjunction with the event kicking off at 11:30am at the Centennial Auditorium.

Blades rookie netminder Kevin Armstrong was named the WHL Player of the Week on November 7th, 2005. Devin Setoguchi was named WHL Player of the Week on November 14th.

In a CHL press conference 2 weeks ago in Saskatoon Wacey Rabbit, Joe Barnes and Devin Setoguchi were all selected to participate in the ADT Canada-Russia Challenge game held Wednesday November 30th in Saskatoon. Country recording artist Brad Johner will perform the Canadian National Anthem on Wednesday November 30th for the ADT Canada Russia Challenge in Saskatoon. The Saskatoon Blades, along with the WHL and CHL announced on Thursday that former Blade and NHL enforced Kelly Chase will be the honorary captain for the ADT Canada-Russia Challenge in Saskatoon.

Blades on the Mend: Joe Barnes 6-8 Weeks Ryan Menei & Craig Lineker Day to Day

BY THE NUMBERS After 24 games this year the Blades are sporting the following numbers: The Blades are sporting a 14-8-1-1 record, with 30 points, good for 2nd place in the Eastern Division. Devin Setoguchi is 2nd in scoring in the WHL with 33 points, in just 23 games played, he’s also tied for 1st for assists with 21. Team captain Wacey Rabbit is tied for 4th in the WHL for assists with 17. Wacey Rabbit is also tied for 2nd in the WHL for short-handed goals with 2. 20 year old Brandon Tidball is 1st in the WHL in penalty minutes with 104. The Blades power-play is ranked 2nd in the WHL with a 20.3% success rate. The Blades penalty kill is ranked 3rd in the WHL with a .895 mark. The Saskatoon Blades are 2nd in the WHL for total penalty minutes with 571. Zdenek Bahensky is tied for 4th in the WHL for power-play assists with 9. Devin Setoguchi is tied for 4th in the WHL for power-play goals with 5. The Blades are 11-1-1 when they score first, 3-7-1 when the opposition scores first, 13-0-1 when they lead after the 2nd period, but 1-7 when they trail after 2. The Blue & Silver are 13-3 when they allow 3 or less goals a game. Rookie netminder Kevin Armstrong has a 2.12 goals against average, good for 4th overall in the WHL. Kevin also has the WHL’s best save percentage with a .929 mark. Todd Panchyson is tied for 7th in the WHL for plus/minus with a +11 mark. The Saskatoon Blades are 8-1 here in November. Ryan Menei has scored 6 goals in the 12 games he’s played, all 6 have come on the road. Joe Barnes, same thing, has 11 goals this year, nine on the road. Netminder Kevin Armstrong had won 6 straight games going into Tuesday’s game in Calgary. Zdenek Bahensky leads the Blades on the power-play with 13 points, 4 goals and 9 helpers. Devin Setoguchi is riding a 11 game point streak into tonight’s game versus the Warriors.

-------
But if the paper says 2 - 6, that's still a really long time too. He probably won't come back in 2 weeks...just to be on the safe side. Wouldn't want him to hurt it again.