PDA

View Full Version : Best Arena

hockey4
11-25-2005, 03:51 PM
Who in the dub has the best rink (in terms of size, appearence, cleanliness, atmosphere)

HAF
11-25-2005, 04:01 PM
I can only speak of the ones that I've been to but I'd have to say either the Rose Garden in Portland or the EEC in Everett. I'm sure Vancouver and Calgary would have to be in there somewhere too.

Offsider
11-25-2005, 04:05 PM
As much as the WHL gods would hate me for this the crushed can in Moose Jaw is the best rink for the fans to feel like they are part of the game . You can hear everything on the ice from the players beaking each other to the refs talking to the players its a shame that it is coming to and end and the WHL is trying to kill small market teams . if you have never been to a game in the Jaw it is alot of fun and time is running out. Red Deer has a very nice rink but alot of the game is lost in big buildings.

GO Broncos GO

RunTheGoalie
11-25-2005, 06:09 PM
Of the six I've been to:

1. Calgary.
Good: NHL arena with all of the NHL amenities.
Bad: 20,000 seat arena kills the atmosphere unless the crowd gets above 10k.

2. Cranbrook
Good: Best looking junior sized arena I've been too
Bad: The hallways that lead to the mid ice seats are terribly small. Must be a pain in the butt to get out of there when a game is sold out.

3. Medicine Hat
Good: Sold out every night, very loud.
Bad: That place is oooooooooooooooold

4. Red Deer
Good: Always big crowds and good atmosphere.
Bad: Dim and drab looking inside.

5. Lethbridge
Good: Nice looking design.
Bad: No atmosphere, even when the place is 80% full.

6. Swift Current
Good: Fans get into the games.
Bad: It literally is a barn.

Flathead
11-25-2005, 07:40 PM
As much as the WHL gods would hate me for this the crushed can in Moose Jaw is the best rink for the fans to feel like they are part of the game . You can hear everything on the ice from the players beaking each other to the refs talking to the players its a shame that it is coming to and end and the WHL is trying to kill small market teams . if you have never been to a game in the Jaw it is alot of fun and time is running out. Red Deer has a very nice rink but alot of the game is lost in big buildings.

GO Broncos GO
I would have to agree with you. I love watching games in the Crushed Can. You truly are part of the game and you literally can hear everything that goes on, on the ice. Very fun rink to watch a game.
As for the bigger rinks you do lose a lot of the atmosphere. Blades and Pats games are so quiet, they get very boring at times.

eecliff
11-25-2005, 10:04 PM
Who in the dub has the best rink (in terms of size, appearence, cleanliness, atmosphere)

As some of you may know, we took a tour of 13 WHL arenas back in August of this year.

If you would like to read about it you can find it by searching General Forums, last 100 days and it’s somewhere around page 5.http://www.whlfans.ca/showthread.php?t=3052S
The name of the thread is “WHL Summer Tour 2005”.

I also rated each arena in five different categories as follows.

1. Outside Appearance
2. Inside Appearance
3. Friendliness / Welcomed
4. WHL/CHL Souvenirs
5. Availability Opened/Closed

Please keep in mind that we were there in Aug/Sept so we could not rate the arenas on game atmosphere. Each arena was rated on our first impression as we just walked in off the street.

I tried posting the arena rating on here but it is in a word program and gets all messed up.

If the site administrator could post it here, that would be great.

If it cannot be posted on the site just private message me and I’ll email it to you.

I have already sent pictures to some members, so if I’ve forgotten you please LMK and I will send them ASAP.

Thanks
ee.....

BTW ..We rated Red Deer as the best rink !!
We liked it so much we are returning there for the New Years Eve game between the Rockets & Rebels. At that time I can report back on game atmosphere.

LifelongChiefsFan
11-28-2005, 05:39 PM
It's really hard to say which arena is the "best." I know I can say that the Spokane Arena is definitely big enough, it has a very appealing appearance, it's clean and the atmosphere is usually pretty good especially during the playoffs or in games against T/C. But I can't compare that to most other arenas since I haven't been to most of them, so to rank the Spokane Arena against any of the Canadian rinks would be stupid as I really don't have any clue to how they would stand up to each other.

Tidball
11-29-2005, 12:15 PM
I like C.U.C (formerly Saskatchewan Place.) It has always been a great arena. I enjoy taking a walk around that empty arena and seeing pictures of some of the greats that have performed in there. Kiss, ACDC, Britany Spears, Rod Steward, the list goes on. Also a host of the Memorial Cup. It has a great ice surface for playin hockey. The only bad part about CUC (and its not the arena's fault) is the quiet fans at hockey games. I have to say that CUC and the SaddleDome are the best arena's.

Triton
11-29-2005, 12:59 PM
If anyone can post any pictures of inside their home buildings that would be awesome.I will put some pictures of the Art Hauser Centre up this week for those who haven't seen the renovations yet.

Oh-Vee
11-29-2005, 03:08 PM
A very good topic so I thought why not post myself? I have seen a few rinks and eaten more than a few hot dogs/smokies.

Prince George
Nice and clean, parking is a bit of a zoo (most rinks are). Comfortable seats and a good amount of leg room. I have been to games during the hay days and last year during the down times. During the hay days the fans were world class. They are still world class actually just less of them. Very knowledgeable fans. Interesting that they are the only rink in the dub that doesn't sell beer. How good was Hamhous? Dissapointed they didn't sell the Foot longs last year but a good dog was had none the less. Attending two games over Christmas.

Tri-Cities
Attended an Ams Pats game about 6 or 7 years ago. Cheered for the Pats becuase they were from Canada and I didn't know any better (being a Bronco season ticket holder, I will never do it again and have sufficiently repented of it since). The building is the exact same as PG. The people were so friendly and even put up with me blowing my horn every time the Pats scored. (5 or times that game and most in the 3rd, I was quite dizzy by the end). One of the best times I have had a game ever.

Spokane
Been to some regular season Chiefs games and the Memorial Cup Final. What a great place to watch hockey. It feels like a pro game. People were not quite as nice as in Kennewick but it was an intense game and Scotty Parker was in town and all energy was directed to booing him. Enjoyed the Simpsons sound effects during the game.

Calgary
I have been to many NHL games in the Saddledome and a couple of WHL games. It is always a treat to watch a dub game in an NHL rink. First class production. The Pawket Dawg is a breakthrough in hot dog technology.

Lethbridge
I had season tickets to the Hurricanes during the 96-97 WHL championship season. It was a fun place to watch hockey at that time in the Sportsplex (Enmax Centre now). Lethbridge is a funny place, high school football/basketball and University Basketball are at times better attended than Hurricanes games and almost no one goes to watch the Pronghorn (University) hockey games. Went to all three playoff games last year vs the Hitmen. The reno's are very nice. Narrow concourse and they need a bigger souvaneer store. Also have the Pawket Dawg mmmmmm.

Moose Jaw
The Crushed Can was interesting. Very steep seating so you never have to worry about someone infront of you and it feels like you are right on top of the action. I didn't like the fact that you can't see the other side of the rink from the upper seats.n Atmosphere was great (well the fan bus that I went with had a great time). Didn't have a dog here but the burger was tasty but the fries were almost as bad as my spelling.

Vancouver
Never been to a Giants game (in Vancouver) but I went to 5 or 6 Canucks game at the PNE. Did they replace the old urinal system? The Habs fans were so loud I couldn't speak for a week trying to yell louder than them. What was the point when Toni Tanti is the only player to cheer for?

Swift Current
I am partial to the CCC. It is a great place to watch hockey but it does need improvements. I believe that a small town rink should also serve as a local Hockey Hall of Fame but there is none of that in this rink. The people are friendly and knowledgable and love thier Bronco's. I am curios to see what upgrades are in store for the old girl. Treens makes a mean smokie as well.

As an aside, the worst place I have ever seen a hockey game was the Tacoma Dome. I went to an Idaho Steelheads Vs Tacoma ???? game. Sightlines were tbad and there was no atmosphere at all. The best was the old Cranbrook Memorial Arena. Could not get any better than the Cranbrook Colts Vs the Kimberley Dynamitters in some Rocky Hockey playoffs (my graduation was also in that old barn

Triton
11-29-2005, 04:13 PM
Brandon-Very nice rink for being older.Horseshoe like concourse.Small souvineer booth.Good food.I love the fact that they have a hotel connected to the Keystone Center(CanadInns).Nice that the Keystone has a convention centre in there as well as curling rinks,another hockey rink,and Indoor soccer.Great atmosphere when they are winning.Good parking area.Loud when it comes to playoffs.People are usually nice there.So overall everytime I go there I have a great time.Grade B-

Regina-This building is old looking on the inside.Food is a little pricey.Good merchandise selection.Please get rid of the bleachers.Too bad you have to pay for parking.Too many doors on the damn building..wasn;t sure which one to go through.Bad graphics on the tron..get with the 2000's.People are nice,and go out of their way to make sure your needs are met.The cheer leaders are nice to look at too when there is a stoppage of play.Every seat was a good seat.So the games I have been to there,I did enjoy myself.Grade C+

Moose Jaw-This one is more of a character rink.Please attend a game here if you haven't cause it's a different experience and you'll enjoy it before it's gone.Love the half pipe look to the building.I too didn't care for tha fact that you can't see the other side from the top row.Very old building.Melforts Northern Lights Palace puts that building to shame and theirs is an SJHL rink.Food was reasonable,didn't like how there isn't a concourse you have to go down stairs to get to the other side.No seats on the side walls,just straight up.Don't care for where the locker rooms are.Merchandise was reasonably priced.Although there are lots I really don't care about the building..it still is my favourite rink because of the atmosphere and how well you feel like your in the action.Grade C

Prince Albert-My home rink,with the new renovations kinda hard to grade some things,such as merchandise,food,and ticket sales cause there shotty till reno's get done.The new media box is too big,and the area on the concourse behind section 15,16,17 is too narrow.New seats look good as well as paint jobs,new score clock.New bathrooms are nice to have up on the concourse,and new food booth.Loud in the playoffs,dead during the season.Only two exits in the building now,so if there's a fire..were all dead.People are usually ignorant,cause they take it too seriously.A good place to see a game..not a good place to live.Parking is dumb right now as well,and Bruce Vance is funny looking.Grade B(on the inside)

Saskatoon-Real quiet for games.Awesome layout.Lots of seats.Food too much,they must think it's gold plated.Parking is great.Mercandise is good for selection but lots for price.Fans need to become more involved.Nice promo's during games.Nice that it's a multi purpose facility where you can have things like monster trucks,rodeos,concerts.But all those things make the ice a knock on the building.I like the scan system for the tickets.But I hate how you have to stand behind the yellow line up top.Grade A..Except for the food prices.

My hand is getting tired so tomorrow I'll give my opinion in the building in S.C,Calgary,Medicine Hat,Red Deer and Lethbridge.

Chipper
11-29-2005, 04:28 PM
If anyone can post any pictures of inside their home buildings that would be awesome.I will put some pictures of the Art Hauser Centre up this week for those who haven't seen the renovations yet.
This is a link to look at the Cranbrook Rec Center. Home of the Kootenay Ice.http://www.whlfans.ca/showthread.php?t=3274

Triton
11-29-2005, 06:13 PM
This is a link to look at the Cranbrook Rec Center. Home of the Kootenay Ice.http://www.whlfans.ca/showthread.php?t=3274

I can't believe you have an A&W in your rink.I would love to have that as a choice for food.Instead we get the smallest amount of fries,dry burgers and flat pop.

Brad
11-29-2005, 07:28 PM
Grade A (Spokane Memorial Arena) Just the right size and since I am usually there for Tri-City games it is full and rocking. The only downsides I have is the backwards benches and the lower bowl could be steeper. The back 5 or 6 rows are further from the ice than they really need to be.

Grade B+ (Everett Events Center) Nice building. Really like the open air feel of the concourse, especially at the one end. How about a place to park? Clueless staff and fans.

Grade B+ (Portland Rose Garden) Very nice, NHL quality building...with price to match. Needs to be full to be really effective. Expensive and limited parking.

Grade C+ (Tri-Cities Coliseum) Making strides to improve, but is still showing its age. Needed an upgraded sound system 15 years ago. Plenty of on site parking and very few bad seats. Still a great atmosphere when there is 4,000+.

Grade D+ (Seattle Key Arena) Never full enough to take advantage of its size. Always sounds half empty (which it is). Second level overhangs the ice at one end. Expensive and very limited parking. Expensive concessions. Best video work and replays.

Grade D (Portland Memorial Coliseum) Ugh. Non-standard rink; the most boring/drab concourse I have seen. Flat enough bowl that when you are in row 15 you are in a different area code. Announcers are in the friggin' crowd? Team with the most revenue in the US division and this is their home? At least if they bulldozed it they could have parking for the Rose Garden.

Triton
11-29-2005, 08:56 PM
[Grade D+ (Seattle Key Arena) Never full enough to take advantage of its size. Always sounds half empty (which it is). Second level overhangs the ice at one end. Expensive and very limited parking. Expensive concessions. Best video work and replays.

Grade D (Portland Memorial Coliseum) Ugh. Non-standard rink; the most boring/drab concourse I have seen. Flat enough bowl that when you are in row 15 you are in a different area code. Announcers are in the friggin' crowd? Team with the most revenue in the US division and this is their home? At least if they bulldozed it they could have parking for the Rose Garden.

Got any pictures of the insides of these two rinks?

ihlemic10
11-30-2005, 02:48 PM
All you would see in key arena are the empty red seats and the black curtains at the top...

Tinner
11-30-2005, 06:04 PM
Central Division Rinks

Medicine Hat - older building but just refurbished. Unless changed, one of the few rinks where the benches are on opposite sides of the ice. Great atmosphere and small concourses. 4000 capacity, limited parking. Located in the downtown area new the river.

Lethbridge - built for the winter games, nice rink but always seems dark and dungy. capacity about 5000 with good parking on site. Has room for expansion if needed. Located in the far south side of the city.

Calgary - its an NHL rink, which is good and bad, and for the most part, because of its size, lacks atmosphere unless filled. Located downtown area and has good parking. Great concourse areas.

Red Deer - newer rink, seating 6000 on the Cities southern edge. No bad seats in the house and is usually full. The building although impressive from the outside, is quite bland inside and has medium sized concourses (mainly because of the private suites). Great parking on-site, 50% free and 50% paid parking which means "how far do you want to walk" for the most part. Can be expanded to seat 10000.

Swift Current - I'll let the boys from Swift update you as the last time I visited that rink was the around the time of the accident.

Rooselk
11-30-2005, 09:05 PM
Grade A (Spokane Memorial Arena) Just the right size and since I am usually there for Tri-City games it is full and rocking. The only downsides I have is the backwards benches and the lower bowl could be steeper. The back 5 or 6 rows are further from the ice than they really need to be.

As someone who was born and raised in Spokane, I have yet to visit Memorial Arena despite the fact that I still visit the city now and then. I grew up watching hockey being played in the old Spokane Coliseum so I'm certain that the newer Arena is a vast improvement over the old facility. And even though I'm now a Tips fan, I still have a soft spot for the Chiefs and really need to make it a point to see a few games in Spokane.

Grade B+ (Everett Events Center) Nice building. Really like the open air feel of the concourse, especially at the one end. How about a place to park? Clueless staff and fans.

Ouch.

I agree that the building is nice but I'm afraid that part company with your opinion of the fans. I'll take a game and the fans at Everett over Seattle any day. As to the parking, I have never had a problem finding a spot despite the fact that I've never paid for parking or parked more than two blocks from the EEC.

OHLArenaGuide
12-01-2005, 09:29 AM
I've got a few pictures of WHL arenas on my primarily OHL-based website. If any of you good people want to send me original pictures of rinks that aren't already listed, I'll post them gladly. Email address is on the site.

http://www.ohlarenaguide.com/whl.htm

Brad
12-01-2005, 10:57 AM
As someone who was born and raised in Spokane, I have yet to visit Memorial Arena despite the fact that I still visit the city now and then. I grew up watching hockey being played in the old Spokane Coliseum so I'm certain that the newer Arena is a vast improvement over the old facility. And even though I'm now a Tips fan, I still have a soft spot for the Chiefs and really need to make it a point to see a few games in Spokane.

I was also born and raised in Spokane. The old Coliseum had a lot of charm and a lot of memories. Always liked the flexo boards. It sounded like a car wreck when someone laid on a big hit along the boards, but because they flexed so much there weren't the concussion problems that there are with the newer rinks.

Ouch.

I agree that the building is nice but I'm afraid that part company with your opinion of the fans. I'll take a game and the fans at Everett over Seattle any day. As to the parking, I have never had a problem finding a spot despite the fact that I've never paid for parking or parked more than two blocks from the EEC.

They are certainly nicer than the fans in Seattle, but it gets real annoying when they react and clap at precisely the wrong time. When they feel they are know-all's about the finer points of the game, when its readily apparent they don't know a wrist shot from a wrist watch. The ushers don't make the folks wait until the break to enter the aisle. People will crawl through the row while play is going on. Trustees of modern chemistry pay the premium to sit in the front row so they can bang on the glass and yell obsenities at players through the crack in the glass. All arenas have some of this, but it appears that Everett has the highest percentage. I'm sure that percentage will dip in the years to come.

Flathead
12-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Central Division Rinks

Lethbridge - built for the winter games, nice rink but always seems dark and dungy. capacity about 5000 with good parking on site. Has room for expansion if needed. Located in the far south side of the city.

Swift Current - I'll let the boys from Swift update you as the last time I visited that rink was the around the time of the accident.
Lethbridge has a wonderful rink, filled with great people, but my only complaint is that if you get up to go anywhere during intermission, it's like fighting your way through 16th Ave when the Flames are in the Stanley cup finals.
rebel39, if you haven't been to a game in Swift since '86, I'd say it's time for a visit!

Triton
12-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Here's a pic of the outside of the reno's being done at the Art Hauser Centre.The front lobby has been opened,and was available for this past Saturday's game.

fordguy55ca
02-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Well... Being a Broncos fan, I will stick up for the good ole' Civic Centre.

Swift Current

Loud when full due to the natural echo in the building.. With the lights out before the game it is BLACK in there with the 2 rotating broncos logos, mist and strobes for the players it does have a good pump up atmosphere before the game... In fact I love how you can barely even notice the other team skate out due to the really low light levels... Other rinks are still fairly bright even witht the lights off... When its full its FULL... people will stand on stairs to see the game... when the broncos score that Oh so eeerie Siren sounds... I think they have the best horn/siren in the leauge... with the exception of brandons train horn. ...Im not a big fan of the 2 air horns they have... The fans are loud and faithfull. The seating is fairly steep 11 rows on 2 sides. The seats are blue.

The following are in no perticular order:

Red Deer

One of the Elite anouncers in the leauge. GREAT FANS! They love people from other teams, unlike the scowl in calgary. I think the centrium looks awesome from the outside. The music is a little lame, but the arena is new and bright.

Medicine Hat

Uhhh I thought it was fairly bland... The standing room was badly thought out. More people should be able to fit in it. Loud fans and annoying organ music there. The building is ok, seating is generaly good.

Brooks

Every game is almost sold out. 900 capacity 750-1000 to every game.
SMALL! Steep seating right into the rafters in one side for 8 rows. 3 rows on the other side. Loud fans for the BANDITS of the AJHL. A dirty old rink with the yellow Lakeside Packers logo at centre ice. The roof is very low. The inside wood is whitewashed to give it a bright feel... I find it almost surreal how low the roof is in there. The beams come right down.. Scoreboards are on the end walls.

Calgary Hitmen:

The saddledome.. truly an awesome rink. The hitmen support is great and I hope that they can continue to draw big crowds.

Calgary Royals:

This rink never gets more than 250 people to a game, and is empty. Horseshoe seating with 7 rows or so at the Father David Bauer. There is next to no atmosphere.

Calgary Canucks:

Bax Bell Centre is almost as empty as FDB. 250 or so to every game... No atmoshere. They have bowl tyle seating. It is new with seats.

Regina:

Well I still know it as the Agridome. A great rink to watch from. Good views all around. It has a really big feel to it when it is full. The fans are fairly calm though. I like to think of the pats as the "Maple leafs of the whl" hahah!

Olds

A Big one sided arena. 28 rows of seating on one side. A pretty good view of the game... A small town with nosebleeds haha. Loud fans in olds and Great music for sure. Good atmosphere there for the hometown Grizzlys.

MJ

Terrible view of the game from almost anywhere... Cant understand the PA system. Good to see new seats there this year. Great fans in MJ. I love the pats/warriors rivalry. The consession area is pretty sketchy in the "Crunched" can, lol. Its in the Underbelly of the rink.

Camrose.

Old one sided rink. a new one is in the works. Good fan support there. Fans are loud.

Drumheller

WOW! ONE OLD RINK! A 6 row horseshoe bowl, with a very Wooden interior with a low roof. 1100 fans to most games there, and they have pretty good atmosphere for AJHL. The arena is fixed up and looks pretty good, but wwow is it old.

True the CCC isnt the prettyest Barn, but it is truly a classic hockey venue. When full and with a winning team the place rocks pretty hard.