PDA

View Full Version : Pats 2 @ Giants 5 - Nov. 25th

Beaner
11-26-2005, 01:01 AM
Another solid effort from the Giants, after returning from their long eastern road swing. In the past the Giants have come out flat after returning from these long road trips, but not tonight. An excellent first period, a good second and third from the Giants tonight. Pats have a good hard working team, that is very quick, but they didn't have the finish tonight on their chances, and when Slade needed too, he stood tall. Pats put the Giants on the PP, and thats what killed them tonight. Pretty even match after the 30 min. mark, but the Giants did dominate the first 30mins.

NOTES
Slade and Reekie got the starts tonight.
Reekie got the hook, mid way thru the second after allowing 4 goals on 21 shots. NB: Reekie didn't stand much chance on any of the goals, but when he got hooked, the Pats did wake up a bit.
15yr old Colton Tuebert was in the lineup for the Pats tonight
Mikkelson (Knee), Sexsmith, Hunt, Czibre, Dulle, were the Giants scratches.
Not 100% sure, but I think Reese did not return for the third period, after his fight?
Shots 31-21 Giants
PP - 0/3 for the Pats, 3/5 for the Giants.

GOALS
1. VAN Franson, (6) (Bartley, Albers), 1:50 (PP) Bartley gets the puck in the circle, with his back to the net, passes back to Franson who wires it thru a maze of players into the net.
1. REG Duval, (2) (Sievert), 11:20 Bad break for the Giants on this one. Duval is deep in the Giants zone at the bottom of the circle and he just throws it at the net, hits the shaft of Albers stick and it goes over Dustins shoulder off the crossbar and in.
1. VAN Albers, (5) (Lamb, Watt), 17:48 (PP) Off a faceoff, puck comes back to Albers, who moves to the middle of the ice at the blue line and he fires one right into the back of the net, high.
2. VAN Repik, (13) (Blum, Kraus), 8:49 (PP) Kraus gets the shot on net, rebound comes out, Blum is cheating low on the play gets the puck and puts it over to Repik who fires it into the open side.
2. VAN Bartley, (13) (Kraus, Fistric), 12:25 Kraus and Fistric are working hard behind the net, and Kraus gets the puck and fires a behind the back pass right to Bartley in the slot who one times it home.
3. REG Kalus, (16) (Ross, Festerling), 4:06 Strange play again here. Kalus breaks in, gets down low near the bottom of the circle fires it at the net, and then the puck comes out into the middle of the slot. Red light comes on, Ref makes no indication, play continues. At the next whistle, big meeting with the refs, and the goal judge, and its ruled a goal. I still didnt see it go in, and the replay didnt show it well, But the Goal judge is 200' closer than me so.....
3. VAN Kraus, (13) , 18:53 (EN/SH)From his own zone at the half board Kraus fires it into the empty net.

FISTICUFFS

Watt vs. Lind
At a faceoff, Watt and Lind decide to dance. Gloves and lids come off, and they get to it quick. Lind got a few nice shots in early, but Watt manages to get it going later in the fight. A few nice last shots that seemd to stun Lind, followed by Watt tossing Lind down and then getting a couple more shots in. Someone was leaking some blood, I thought it was Lind, but Langdak thought Watt. A good fight, Slight Edge to WATT.

Reese vs. Bernhardt
Not sure what started this, but the two are tied up at the boards away from the play. Reese takes off the gloves, while they are grappling then takes off his helmet, then takes off Bernhardts. I think Bernhardt was surprised the much smaller Reese wanted to go, but after the helmet came off, Bernhardt obliged, by rag dolling Reese around and beating on his head. A bunch of good hard shots by Bernhardt followed by him throwing Reese to his knees and then feeding him a few more to the back of the head. WIN: BERNHARDT.

LUCIC vs. FUDER
Off another faceoff, these two decide to go. Gloves and lids come off again, they get in close and Lucic just starts feeding Fuder his lunch. Lucic definatley had the reach and strength in this one. Fed numerous shots to Fuder, Fuder looked a bit dazed as he got to the bench. WIN LUCIC.

OFFICIATING
Baltimo was the ref tonight and I thought he did a good job. Pretty clean game over all, the disputed goal I'm still not sure it went in, and I dont think Baltimo is either. I'll give him a B+ for this game.

DUMB PENALTY OF THE NIGHT
I really want to say Fistric, for the 2 min for delay of game at the end of the game, but I'm going with Kalus for Interference with the Goaltender in the first minute. Just dumb to run Dustin behind the net, it wont get him off his game, and you're putting the #2 PP in the league on the PP to start the game. Ended up putting the Giants on the board less than 30 sec. later. Just a dumb move.

OVERALL
An entertaining game to watch tonight. Extrememly happy with the boys for winning again coming off their road trip, but they did seem to get a little caught out of position in the second and third periods. Giants managed 15 shots in the First period and 16 in the last 2, to give an indication. Going to need a FULL 60 mins tomorrow agianst the Tigers, but a nice chance to earn points in every game in November for the Giants.

The young Defenceman, Tuebert, looks good, a lot of potential there and he is going to be a big man. Seemed very confident out there, and not out of place at all. Pats are very quick team, and they do like to throw the body. I was looking forward to seeing the Pats play and I was not disappointed with their team.

3 Stars
1. VAN - 12 Tim Kraus
2. VAN - 26 Michal Repik
3. VAN - 37 Dustin Slade

GF71
11-26-2005, 01:21 AM
Scharff got an owie in the second period, and did not play in the third.

Beaner
11-26-2005, 01:23 AM
Scharff got an owie in the second period, and did not play in the third.

Missed that. Think he will be back tomorrow? And what about Reese, did he not return for the third?

rinkrat
11-26-2005, 01:26 AM
Another nice recap Beaner.Do you get copies of the scoresheet or take lots of notes?...

Reese did not return for the 3rd.Also Watt had a bloodied nose,it was coming out pretty good,I thought he won his fight though.Kalus ran Slade twice,if he continue's that type of play,he will be eating some knuckles soon.Wasn't he the guy that was suspended last week? For the hit on Blum?Kalus seems to be very talented and should stick to a more skills focused approach to his game,rather than playing like Ruutu.
Fistric and Fauth had several lengthy,detailed conversations at the benches tonight.Fistric was calling him out,but nothing ensued.Fauth had a verbal exchange with a fan when exiting the 2nd period too,I guess he was frustrated.Its not often I have seen players even acknowledge verbal insults from fans!
Pretty good game,still pulling in the points and they can play better still.Gonna be a dandy tomorrow...

Beaner
11-26-2005, 01:36 AM
Another nice recap Beaner.Do you get copies of the scoresheet or take lots of notes?...

Heh, thanks. I take notes when watching at home, but at the rink I just try and remember what happened and use the scoresheet from www.whl.ca to jog the old brainpan.

Kalus ran Slade twice,if he continue's that type of play,he will be eating some knuckles soon.Wasn't he the guy that was suspended last week? For the hit on Blum?Kalus seems to be very talented and should stick to a more skills focused approach to his game,rather than playing like Ruutu.

Yes it was Kalus. And yes, he should focus on putting the puck into the net, and he had better be careful, before someone decides to make him pay for his play. Fistric almost got at him, but it just turned into a big scrum.

GF71
11-26-2005, 12:15 PM
When I talked to Chad right before the start of the third, he said he had a "stinger" and woudl be fine. What stinger is, who knows. There were a lot of people around, so he wasn't as forthcoming with info as he usually is. I think they just pulled him out with the game pretty much in hand after the second. I couldn't stay to gather any info as to why Reese didn't play in the third, but I am trying to find out this morning.

GF71
11-26-2005, 12:36 PM
ok...I am an a rush to get out of the house, but here are the coles notes...

Reese: Was icing his hand. LOL my informant thoguht he took a slash, and that is what started his fight.

Scharff: Jaw.

Fistric: Shoulder again, but he is ok.

Crosby rules
11-26-2005, 02:10 PM
The Brass called it 5-2 giants, do you also take bets? Good call.

Beaner
11-26-2005, 02:54 PM
ok...I am an a rush to get out of the house, but here are the coles notes...

Reese: Was icing his hand. LOL my informant thoguht he took a slash, and that is what started his fight.

Scharff: Jaw.

Fistric: Shoulder again, but he is ok.

Thanks for the update. The Reese scrap makes abit more sense now, nice to see him stand up for himself, but next time maybe he should stand up for himself with someone in his own weight class. ;)

I'm starting to get a bit concerned about this nagging shoulder injury that Fistric has. It seems every game he comes out and his shoulder is tweaked again. Maybe he needs some time off to get back to 100%.

GF71
11-27-2005, 01:53 AM
Reese is going to be out 5-6 weeks with a broken hand and a broken nose. If he didn't have bad luck, he wouldn't have any luck at all. You gotta feel for this guy...he had such a good camp and was palying very well in the few games he has played.