PDA

View Full Version : Tips zipped by Americans

Tipped Off
11-26-2005, 03:40 PM
No Wheat, No Fiala, No Hamill, No Lammers and Mueller for only one period = NO GOALS!

Tips' skid reaches six games
Everett shut out again, this time 4-0 by Tri-City

Herald staff

KENNEWICK - The hits just keep on coming for the Everett Silvertips.

Their horrible slump continued, stretching to sixth consecutive defeats with a 4-0 loss to the Tri-City Americans on Friday night.

Everything about Friday's loss was troublesome for Everett:

* The six-game losing streak is Everett's longest in franchise history.

* It was the third time in four games Everett was shut out.

* Everett's top two scorers were added to the injury list - left wing John Lammers was scratched because of minor injuries, then center Peter Mueller did not play in the final two periods.

* Silvertips No. 1 goaltender Leland Irving was yanked for the second straight game.

* The momentum Everett gained from a strong third period in Tuesday's 6-4 loss to Regina was completely buried.

As a result, Everett fell to 14-11-1-0, and the Silvertips' lead in the U.S. division shrunk to two points over second-place Portland, which has four games in hand.

Carey Price recorded his second shutout in as many nights to lead Tri-City (9-11-2-1), which despite being in last place in the U.S. Division trails Everett by just eight points. Price finished with 22 saves to follow up on Thursday's 3-0 shutout of Kootenay.

Logan Stephenson, Alex Aldred and Igor Bacek each had a goal and an assist and Matt Schneider also scored for Tri-City.

Irving saved 11 of the 15 shots he saw to take the loss. Matt Esposito came on in relief to start the third period and saved all eight shots he faced.

The nature or extent of Mueller's injury was not known. The Tips were hoping Lammers would be able to return for tonight's game against Kootenay.

Tri-City took the lead at 11 minutes, 43 second of the first period. On the Americans' first power-play opportunity of the game, Stephenson's shot from the point found its way through traffic and past Irving to make it 1-0.

The Americans doubled their lead at 16:55. On a two-on-one break, Bacek faked a shot, pulling Irving out of position. He then fed Aldred, who tapped it in to make it 2-0.

Tri-City then made the possibility of a comeback remote by scoring again 34 seconds into the second period. Schneider took advantage of a turnover in Everett's zone and beat Irving to make it 3-0.

The Americans turned it into a rout at 17:31 of the second with another power-play goal, Bacek putting a shot between Irving's legs to make it 4-0.

Everett forwards Torrie Wheat, Ondrej Fiala and Zach Hamill and defenseman Jonathan Harty remained sidelined with various ailments. With Lammers also out, Everett was forced to suit seven defensemen, with Taylor Ellington seeing some time at forward for the first time in his WHL career.

Tipped Off
11-26-2005, 03:41 PM
Copied from the Tips board:

(Just when you think things can't get worse)... they seem to.

Six-game losing streak, longest in franchise history.
Have lost 8 out of last 10.
With the exception of the Third Period against Regina, the offense has basically been non-existent lately.

The team really needs to turn things around, and quick, or else they might find themselves 0 for their last 8 by the end of the weekend.

I'm glad to hear that some of our injured/sick players will be returning soon. I see so much potential in the players that are in the current lineup, but for whatever reason the offense has not been there. I do understand that there are still plenty of games left in the regular-season, but this losing streak and injury-plagued period should be an eye-opener. Here is what concerns me when I look further ahead:

1) Wheat, Heshka, Kress, Lammers, and Hromas, for whom the team relies heavily for offense & defense, will not be here next season.
2) And there is still a possibility that whichever NHL team drafts Mueller, might have him called-up (similar to Crosby, Brule, Phaneuf, etc.) next season.

That means that the other guys in the current lineup really have to come-of-age & step up, much like the "Crazy 88s" did for us last season. The burden of scoring cannot be placed totally on Hamill & Calla next season. Certainly, I expect Beach & Fiala to also make an impact then, but looking at the current lineup I am also hoping to see other offensive weapons come about. And I truly believe that as the current players gain more experience & confidence during these current injuries, that will make the team, overall, have a lot more depth once the team is back at or near full-strength.

However, the team needs to focus on the task at hand: Stopping this current losing streak and getting back to basics. The team has already lost too much ground in the division standings, and needs to stop this free-fall. The younger players, such as Smyke, Dailey, Harper, and Milhouse, all have the talent to help the offense, and I really hope that they are gaining the experience & confidence to really keep up the intensity & contribute. That will help lay the foundation for future success for the team. But for right now, the players all have to trust each other and work together. And the fans need to stick by them tonight, tomorrow, and the rest of the weekend. Ring those cowbells & bring the noise!

After listening to Kootenay's radio announcer & players repeatedly (& arrogantly) make disparaging remarks about our team & game-play after the game in Cranbrook several weeks ago, there is nothing that I would like more than to see the Silvertips end their losing streak by beating the ICE at the EEC tonight. The ICE are one of the WHL's hottest teams right now, and Everett needs to demonstrate that Kootenay's reign at the top might be short-lived come playoff-time. Bring the fans! Bring the cowbells! Bring the noise! (Bring the offense back!)

GO TIPS!!!

Beaner
11-26-2005, 04:14 PM
Im a bit surprised at how poorly the Tips have been doing lately. I know they have been hit hard with the injuries, but it sounds like they aren't even competeing in these losses recently.

One thing that always impressed me with KC, is that he seemed to get the most out of his players, irregardless of talent. Has the team just stopped listening to KC? Or is it that the top 5 players are so much more skilled than the others, that the healthy players, just dont stand a chance?

Im sure any other team that lost its top 5 to injuries would be losing, but its the way the Tips seem to be losing, that would be most concerning if I was a tip fan.

Chipper
11-26-2005, 04:25 PM
After listening to Kootenay's radio announcer & players repeatedly (& arrogantly) make disparaging remarks about our team & game-play after the game in Cranbrook several weeks ago, there is nothing that I would like more than to see the Silvertips end their losing streak by beating the ICE at the EEC tonight. The ICE are one of the WHL's hottest teams right now, and Everett needs to demonstrate that Kootenay's reign at the top might be short-lived come playoff-time. Bring the fans! Bring the cowbells! Bring the noise! (Bring the offense back!)

GO TIPS!!![/QUOTE]
What did our team and announcer say? I live here and I here nothing but respect for the tips, they are always a threat. I was at that game and it was close until midway in the third.

chiefgongshow
11-27-2005, 11:06 AM
I find it kinda ironic that Constatine never lasts more than 3 years at any place hes coached. Is it because he loses the team, or do the organizations just get fed up with his style or antics? Who knows why but Tips fans may find out why as the season goes on even after theyre completely healthy.