PDA

View Full Version : Rutherford injured?

rinkrat
11-27-2005, 01:26 AM
Didn't see him in the 3rd,after he was jumped by Dorsett.Also Flatters returned to the bench with a full face shield after taking a skate to the face!

Beaner
11-27-2005, 01:40 AM
Didn't see him in the 3rd,after he was jumped by Dorsett.Also Flatters returned to the bench with a full face shield after taking a skate to the face!

Rutherford didnt return after that scrimmage. He was gone int he 2nd as well.

Did Flatters hit the ice in the third or was he just on the bench?

GF71
11-27-2005, 01:46 AM
Rutherford had his eye gouged in the fight. He has a detached cornea, and is out indefinately. He was sporting a MASSIVE guaze eye patch after the game. He is VERY unhappy, and a bit scared. The idiot who did it (can't remember his name) should be suspended. The Giants are sending a tape to the league. :mad:

Beaner
11-27-2005, 01:50 AM
I think it was Dorsett, he was the one scrapping with Rutherford. Ill watch the archive asap, and let everyone know.

rinkrat
11-27-2005, 01:57 AM
Thats terrible news.I hope he can get back soon and continue,its been a real tough season for David,dealing with the highsticks etc...
Flatters looked like he was kicked in the face or fell on a skate in the face.He hit a tiger at the tiger bench,as the player fell backward,he held his leg straight up and rigid as Flatters was hit from behind by another tiger.It resulted in him falling face first into a tiger skate blade!I haven't seen such B.S. hockey in a long while.It seems like the Cenral Division is the chippiest of all.While I realize that we need goals not fights,Fistric should have beat the *** outta a tiger just for Rutherford,not to mention Flatters or any other cheap shots that were thrown.Can we get Battleship Matt back?

rinkrat
11-27-2005, 02:00 AM
I think it was Dorsett, he was the one scrapping with Rutherford. Ill watch the archive asap, and let everyone know.
It was Dorsett.

GF71
11-27-2005, 02:00 AM
Thats terrible news.I hope he can get back soon and continue,its been a real tough season for David,dealing with the highsticks etc...
Flatters looked like he was kicked in the face or fell on a skate in the face.He hit a tiger at the tiger bench,as the player fell backward,he held his leg straight up and rigid as Flatters was hit from behind by another tiger.It resulted in him falling face first into a tiger skate blade!I haven't seen such B.S. hockey in a long while.It seems like the Cenral Division is the chippiest of all.While I realize that we need goals not fights,Fistric should have beat the *** outta a tiger just for Rutherford,not to mention Flatters or any other cheap shots that were thrown.Can we get Battleship Matt back?

I agree about Fistric on that one. He jsut stood there and watched it all happen. He needs to quit being a **ssy and act the captain on the ice. I am VERy frustrated with his lack of assertiveness on the ice.

Beaner
11-27-2005, 02:08 AM
Well, back on track here about David Rutherford, I hope for his sake that he is ok, and my thoughts, as are Im sure all Giants fans, are with you David.

Get well soon.

rinkrat
11-27-2005, 02:09 AM
Well, back on track here about David Rutherford, I hope for his sake that he is ok, and my thoughts, as are Im sure all Giants fans, are with you David.

Get well soon.
like he can read that!

GF71
11-27-2005, 02:14 AM
He was going to drive home himself, so I am sure his one eye is ok...Between him and Reese, I don't know who has the worse luck. As much as I don't like to say this, I wonder with all of David injuries if he is too small for the WHL?? Jsut a thought. It could also be just dumb luck too. I dunno.

rinkrat
11-27-2005, 02:26 AM
He was going to drive home himself, so I am sure his one eye is ok...Between him and Reese, I don't know who has the worse luck. As much as I don't like to say this, I wonder with all of David injuries if he is too small for the WHL?? Jsut a thought. It could also be just dumb luck too. I dunno.
I wouldn't call it bad luck,I would call it playing dirty teams,Reese was slashed and Rutherford was jumped and pummelled,he did nothing to instigate that fight.I don't think size was a factor unless he was looking to fight regularly.Repik is the same size.Barker hacked him a few times too.
Hopefully the injury bug leaves now!(knock on wood).We need a fighter.

GF71
11-27-2005, 02:38 AM
Or a captain that will show up. :mad:

bandwagonboy
11-27-2005, 09:23 AM
What exactly did Dorsett do to Rutherford? It's sad because with Psurny injured and with Robertson out after taking that slash in Kamloops the Tigers need Dorsett right now. And what's much worse is that someone was badly injured.

Beaner
11-27-2005, 11:47 AM
I am waiting for the Live stream guys to put the game up but they havent yet. I did not see the eye gouge during the fight live, but I am hoping that I can get a better idea of exactly what happened when I watch it again.

Giants website is saying it is a scratched cornea, not a detached cornea. Not sure what that means length of injury wise, but here's the quote,

Hopefully by then John Flatters (gash from a skate on his cheek), David Rutherford (scratched cornea) and Jason Reese (hand injury) will all be ready to play. Brendan Mikkelson continues to be sidelined indefinitely with a sprained MCL in his left knee.

rinkrat
11-27-2005, 12:51 PM
Did anyone see Flatters after the game? How bad was the cut,and was it near his eye?Beaner please look closely at that incident as well when you watch the archived game,I wouldn't mind a report.Thanks.

GF71
11-27-2005, 01:37 PM
I saw Flatters after the game. The cut is only about 3" long or so, but VERY deep. He will be fine to play against Seattle, but most likely with a full face shield.

The Giants are trying to put a positive spin on thier injuries. The seay Reese has a hand injury. It is broken. Rutherford, several other players and Scott Bonner all told me he had a detached cornea, NOT a scratched cornea. lol I am sure the truth is out there somewhere! :) The eye gouge happened very early in the fight. If you watch the highlights that were on sportsnet, you can see the gouge happen quite clearly, and David go down. After watching it several times, it is hard to say if it was intentional or not, but it is definetly there.

Beaner
11-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Beaner please look closely at that incident as well when you watch the archived game,I wouldn't mind a report.Thanks.

Ok I watched the archive about 5 times and really, it was hard to tell what exactly happened. But here is my best attempt at a recap of the skirmish that led to Rutherford's Injury.

- Puck goes over the glass.
- All the players pile in, Barker and Dorsett, Lucic and Rutherford are the main "pusher and Shovers" to start.
- Hunt gets in there and tries to get Dorsett, but the Linesman get in there and grab Hunt, but Hunt manages to grab onto Barker and Dorsett.
- Dorsett is trying to mix it up with Rutherford/Lucic and Hunt to start
- Linesman grabs Lucic and is holding him back, from getting at Dorsett, Dorsett is trying to get at Lucic, but Hunt has a hold of his jersey.
-Rutherford and Helm have seperated from the pile and are doing nothing really besides some talk. Fistric, another Giant, Undershoot and another Tiger are off in pairs just hanging onto each other but not doing anything.
- Linesman takes Lucic away, Hunt and Barker are still pushing and shoving, Dorsett cant get at Lucic so he tries to go after Hunt, but stops after a warning from the Ref. The Linesman takes Hunt and pushes him up against the glass. Barker and Hunt seperate. Barker skates off. Hunt and Dorsett are having words while the Linesman has Hunt pinned against the glass.
- Linesman who had Lucic, only takes him to the red line, NOT the box or the bench, this will help lead to the Fight. I saw this from my seat on the opposite side of the camera.
- Everything is basically over, one Linesman has Hunt, the other has Lucic, Fistric and one Tiger are standing next to each other, Undershoot and another Giant are holding each other, Barker has skated off. Rutherford has his back to Helm. Dorsett, the main agaitator in this whole thing is all by himself next to the boards.
- Then Helm just gives a shot to the back of Rutherford, right in the name tag.
- Rutherford, turns and starts give Helm a few pushes, who is doing nothing, but trying to get him to take the extra penalty.
- Rutherford and Helm, skate from the bench about 5-10' from the boards, the Linesman, who had Lucic, comes over and puts his arms between them to break it up.
- Now Lucic who wasnt taken away, starts to slowly skate over from the Red line, and the Linesman keeping an eye on Rutherford/Helm, leaves them to get a hold of Lucic.
- Rutherford and Helm continue to push and shove.
- Dorestt comes straight in, from the boards, throws a gloved shot at Rutherford, drops the gloves, and then with both hands grabs Rutherford by the Helmet, and Yanks it off. He may have got the eye gouge here, as Dorsett grabbed the Helmet by the shield with both hands to take it off.It sure looked like he got his fingers under the shield at that point.
- Anyway, from this point on Rutherford looked completely stunned before the fight even started. After that it was all Dorsett, as he just threw numerous punches on Rutherford.
- I was on the opposite side of the Ice from the camera, and I know that after Rutherford fell done, Dorsett continued to throw punches, but the camera didnt pick that up, since they were so close to the Tigers bench/Boards.
- From the shots I could see on the replay, Dorsett mostly landed, shots to the back/side of the head. There were no punches, as far as I could tell, that hit him square to face, to cause the black Eye.

- Rutherford left the ice with a noticeable black left eye, there may have in fact been blood coming from it as well.

---Ok watching it another 2 times while typing this up, I am 90% sure that the Gouge came while Dorsett was ripping the Helmet off of Rutherfords Head. It sure looks like he got his fingers under the shield when he tried to take off the helmet. Unless it happened when they were up close to the boards, but you couldnt see anything from there as all the Tigers were Standing up watching this. Camera is behind the Tigers Bench FYI.

---If the linesman who had grabbed Lucic early had taken him to the box right away as opposed to dropping him at the red line, then he would have been able to keep things in the Helm Rutherford pushing match under control.

Anyways thats my thoughts after watching it about 10 times. Now its in the leagues hands.

rinkrat
11-28-2005, 06:18 PM
Did you see Dorsett skate up from behind Rutherford and give him a two hander to the calf?

Beaner
11-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Did you see Dorsett skate up from behind Rutherford and give him a two hander to the calf?

I dont think that was Dorsett actually, since he was tied up with a whole bunch of guys from the get go. I think the Two-hander actually came from Helm.

The archive didn't show the slash, but I do recall Rutherfrod getting whacked by someone. Just speculating on who gave him the wack, but watching the replay I don't see how Dorsett could have gotten over there whacked him and gotten back. My money is on Helm giving the slash, since everyone else seemed to be tied up at the time.

rinkrat
11-28-2005, 07:34 PM
It must make for interesting hockey in the Central division,with all the cheap shots going on!Hopefully they beat the crap outta each other by the playoffs. :evil:

Tiger Trauma
11-29-2005, 01:18 PM
It was most likely an accident...Dorsett was probably just trying to rip his helmet off...but his fingers went in a little to far

Beaner
11-29-2005, 01:52 PM
It was most likely an accident...Dorsett was probably just trying to rip his helmet off...but his fingers went in a little to far

Thats my thought watching the tape. Unless it happend when they fell to the ice, But the tape doesnt show that.

Kassian
11-30-2005, 01:28 AM
It was Helm that slashed Rutherford. Not Dorsett.

bandwagonboy
11-30-2005, 03:06 AM
It must make for interesting hockey in the Central division,with all the cheap shots going on!Hopefully they beat the crap outta each other by the playoffs. :evil:

This isn't their usual game on home ice anyway. I think that they were probably still a little frustrated from all the cheap shots they got from Kamloops and took it out on the wrong team.

It's not like the BC division plays squeaky clean hockey either. Robertson is out after taking a nasty slash in Kamloops. And last year the Giants were one of the chippiest teams I saw all year in the arena. Wasn't it in Vancouver that Maxwell was sidelined with a concussion for the better part of the season after he took a couple of shots on the ice in a scrum in front of the goaltender? If it wasn't Vancouver then it was Kelowna. Either way, a BC division team.

It's terrible that Rutherford was injured like that, just like it is terrible that Robertson is now sidelined after taking a wicked slash against a BC team (just as he was starting to find his game too). Dorsett's actions weren't right, but don't pretend that the Giants and the BC division skate around with halos over their heads because just like the central teams they can get chippy too.

Beaner
12-03-2005, 01:12 AM
The good news to all this is Rutherford was back in the lineup tonight and had a great game.

Thankfully it wasn't as serious as originally reported.