PDA

View Full Version : Beeman Hit in Portland

Brad
11-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Got a chance to look at the video of the play late in regulation in Portland. Beeman was circling through the neutral zone with the puck and turned up ice ready to enter the Portland zone. Hawk defenseman Scott Gabriel steps up to stand Beeman up at the blueline. Looked like Beeman flipped the puck deep and then as impact was made he did come up high with his hands/forearm/elbow. All in all though nothing more severe than half a dozen other hits in the third period between the two clubs. Battimo was just inside the red line on the other side of the ice, but appeared, as Craig said on his broadcast, to have a clear view of the hit. Like the other stuff he had let go in the third, he let this go.

The Portland broadcasters commented that the bench and crowd wanted a call, but didn't belabor the issue as they usually do. They speculated that it was Brian Fortin that made the call, but he was further away from the play than Battimo. My guess would be that it was Jeff Edgley that made the call. He was doing lines on that side and, as Craig mentioned, had Williamson right behind him on the bench giving him an earful.

I don't see how the play warranted a major as I think its a very big stretch to feel Beeman had intent to injure when he had the puck two seconds earlier. It was a reaction of putting your hands up to absorb a hit as players do all the time. Yes, going to the head is a penalty, usually roughing. For Battimo to allow a major to be called on that hit is brutal.

Brad
11-30-2005, 01:29 PM
-Tri-City Americans forward Jason Beeman has been suspended for four games for receiving a major and a game misconduct at Portland on November 26.

-Tri-City Americans assistant coach Gord Frantti has been fined $250.00 for receiving a game misconduct at Portland on November 26.

Stay-Puft
11-30-2005, 03:06 PM
Defenseman Scott Gabriel is out indefinitely with neck and shoulder injuries and a concussion. Gabriel was hurt as a result of the major penalty for elbowing that was assessed to Tri-Cities’ forward Jason Beeman in Saturday night’s game in Memorial Coliseum. The Western Hockey League suspended Beeman for four games today.
-From whl.ca story