PDA

View Full Version : Prince George and Lethbridge make a trade

fightstrap50
11-29-2005, 07:56 PM
News
Nov 29 2005

Cougars Add D-Men

PRINCE GEORGE, BC- The Prince George Cougars have announced they have acquired 18 year old defenseman Kalvin Sagert (“Say-Gurt”) and 17 year old defenseman Jesse Dudas (“Doo-das”) from the Lethbridge Hurricanes in exchange for defenseman Randy King and Ryan Kerr.
“It is very difficult to move Ryan and Randy, but we felt we needed to make an improvement to our defence and their ability to move the puck on the power play”, states Cougars GM, Dallas Thompson.
Dudas, a 6’1” 214 lbs. right handed product of St. Albert, AB, has recorded 7 assists (7 points) in 18 games with the Hurricanes this season. Last season with Lethbridge, the 12th ranked skater in the WHL’s Preliminary Rankings (3rd overall among Defenseman) tallied 1 goal and 3 assists in 44 games. Sagert, a 6’1” 195 native of Abbotsford, BC, suited up in 71 games with the Kamloops Blazers last season, registering 5 goals, 10 assists, and 70 PIM. In his 2005/06 campaign with the Hurricanes, the left handed D-man has skated in 26 games, recording 4 points and 23 PIM.
“We are very pleased to acquire two veteran D-men who have the ability to move the puck and are both able to help us on the power play”, concludes Thompson.
The Cougars expect both Jesse and Kalvin to be joining the team tomorrow as they prepare for their upcoming road trip beginning Dec. 2 in Kamloops.

Tinner
11-29-2005, 09:53 PM
i think this is a bad trade. whats the latest thinking from pg posters?

Sput
11-30-2005, 02:21 PM
BAd trade for who? PG? Something has to give to break out of this 8 game slide they are going through. Stengler abandoned ship the day before the trade. Kerr (or more correctly his Dad), from what I understand requested a trade, citing ice time and what -not as the reason. Kerr isn't a stellar skater, had tendancies to be lazy on the ice and from the stands anyway, seemed reluctant to work harder to improve himself. King was a pretty good d-man, but penalty prone. Randy wasn't really in the top 4 d-men on the team, and a lot of times his type of player can be found " a dime a dozen" on any team.

I don't see it as the Cougars 'giving up' on their first round pick. I see it more as to get something of quality that you want you also have to give up something. Kerr wanted out, just as I have read Saygart wanted out of Lethbridge. Nothing wrong with that in my eyes, as long as you don't walk on the team and leave everyone wondering "*** was THAT about??" King for Dudas might be a straight trade, but to get a Saygart you'd have to give up some value. This isn't like the NHL where sarlary caps come into play.

With Stengler bailing, it leaves a big hole in the penalty kill. From reprots I have read, Saygart is a solid stay at home guy that does very well on the PK, and can move the puck well on the PP. Something sorely needed here....trust me.

Who knows what this trade will bring. We just have to wait and see, but for right now, I' mglad that the GM isn't reluctant to make a trade to try and better the team.