PDA

View Full Version : Brule out four to six weeks with broken leg

N.W. Bruin
12-01-2005, 12:31 AM
Just heard on Sportstalk Brule has a stress fracture in the leg bones. Will be out four to six weeks. Happened on the weekend and he played today on it. Complained about the pain afterwards.

Beaner
12-01-2005, 12:42 AM
Unbelieveable.

What is it with the Blue jackets and injuries this year?

What a terrible year for Brule. I read on the HF boards that it may have come from a Slash? Did sportstalk give any details?

Get well soon GB.

N.W. Bruin
12-01-2005, 01:35 AM
Unbelieveable.

What is it with the Blue jackets and injuries this year?

What a terrible year for Brule. I read on the HF boards that it may have come from a Slash? Did sportstalk give any details?

Get well soon GB.

No Sportstalk host Dan Russell didn't give any detail of how it happened. Guess it will be confirmed in the papers or over the radio in the next day. So that definitely washes out any chance at the World Juniors though Sutter likely wouldn't have choosen him anyway if he had returned to the Giants.

langdak
12-01-2005, 02:29 AM
Here is the TSN version, taken from MOJO, take it for what its worth, we all know what MOJO is like sometimes.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=145236&hubname=

Brule's chances for World Jrs. in Question

TSN.ca Staff

12/1/2005 2:01:16 AM

Columbus Blue Jackets first-round draft pick Gilbert Brule suffered a stress fracture of the fibula during Saturday's game against the St. Louis Blues and will be out of action for 4-6 weeks, according to MOJO 730 in Vancouver.

The 19-year-old centre played just over 11 minutes in Wednesday's contest against the Minnesota Wild but complained of pain following the 3-2 victory. He took a couple of shifts early in the third period and then came out for about 10 seconds just after the midway point of the third and then was done for the night.

The biggest concern for Brule, who's junior rights are held by the Vancouver Giants, is whether or not he'll have a chance to play in front of his hometown for the world junior championships this December. Hockey Canada is expected to name approximately 32 players for the selection camp December 11-16.

The Blue Jackets activated Brule from injured reserve list on November 20th after suffering a fractured sternum in October when he took a clean hit from Calgary Flames blue-liner Roman Hamrlik.

Brule missed 17 games after playing in the club's first two contests, collecting a goal and an assist.

He had two goals and three assists in six pre-season games

langdak
12-01-2005, 03:22 PM
New Article

They are calling it a "fracture" now, instead of a "stress fracture"

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=145236&hubname=

Brule injured; out of 2006 World Juniors

Bob McKenzie, TSN

12/1/2005 10:03:10 AM

In a year in which it is definitely not the pre-tournament favourite, Canada's national junior team has suffered a significant loss with the injury to Columbus Blue Jacket forward Gilbert Brule.

Brule, who fractured his leg in the third period of last night’s game in Minnesota, will be out a minimum of four to six weeks and unable to participate in the World Junior Championship, which begins Dec. 26 in Brule's hometown of Vancouver.

It is a significant loss. Brule is a good goal scorer and high energy player who would have been a fan favourite on home ice. He definitely would have been on the team and likely would have been a front-line forward for coach Brent Sutter's team.

Now, his spot on the 32-man final evaluation camp roster, which will be named by Hockey Canada on Monday, will be taken by some player who will be merely trying out for the team.

It is the second significant injury for Brule this season. He had just come back from a fractured sternum suffered early in the season.

It is just the latest in an incredible run of injuries for the Blue Jackets, especially to their first-round picks.

Franchise forward Rick Nash missed six weeks with a high ankle sprain and is now in the midst of a six-week absence due to a knee sprain.

Defenceman Rostislav Klesla has missed significant time with a broken foot and now a broken hand.

And then there is Brule.

"I’ve got $12 million worth of salary on the IR (Injured Reserve)," Blue Jackets' GM Doug MacLean said, noting that veteran defenceman Adam Foote, netminder Marc Denis and forward Manny Malhotra are also out with injuries.

"I’ve never seen anything like this. It's unreal. It's unbelievable."

Triton
12-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Columbus and Brule just can't buy a break.Columbus should just move to Winnipeg.I was looking forward to seeing Brule wearing the Red and White.Thats just bad luck.He was even playing well up in the show.I hope things turn out for him.

langdak
12-01-2005, 03:30 PM
Columbus and Brule just can't buy a break.Columbus should just move to Winnipeg.I was looking forward to seeing Brule wearing the Red and White.Thats just bad luck.He was even playing well up in the show.I hope things turn out for him.

I sure hope so too

Whether that be with the CBJ or the Vancouver Giants, i just wanna see the kid succeed, cuz he is a hell of a hockey player.

Triton
12-01-2005, 03:36 PM
I missed seeing him play here this year,now he'll miss world Juniors,and a large chunk of his rookie season in the NHL.He isn't gonna be playing a whole lot of hockey this year.Truely sad and must be frustrating for Gilbert and the Brule family.

Here's to a full recovery Gilbert. :thumb:

langdak
12-01-2005, 06:34 PM
http://www.nhl.com/news/2005/12/245838.html

5:46 PM EST, 12/01/2005
Columbus rookie C Brule out with broken leg

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Columbus Blue Jackets center Gilbert Brule will miss four to six weeks with a broken right leg, the second serious injury he has sustained in his rookie season.

Brule, the sixth overall pick in this year's draft, was placed on injured reserve Thursday. He was injured in Columbus' 3-2 shootout win at Minnesota on Wednesday night.

Brule was sidelined for 17 games earlier this season with a fractured sternum sustained during Columbus' home opener on Oct. 7. He has two goals and two assists in seven games.

Injuries have kept the Blue Jackets near the bottom of the NHL standings and last in goals this season. Top scorer Rick Nash has played in only three games and defenseman Adam Foote, the team's most significant offseason acquisition, is on injured reserve with a strained groin.

Center Manny Malhotra went on injured reserve Thursday with back spasms and the club activated goaltender Marc Denis. Going into Thursday night's game at St. Louis, Malhotra was tied for second on the Blue Jackets with 15 points on two goals and 13 assists.

Columbus also recalled right wing Joe Motzko and center Geoff Platt from Syracuse of the AHL, and assigned defenseman Aaron Johnson to Syracuse.

Bran
12-02-2005, 12:15 PM
Sheesh, that poor kid can't catch a break. It must be frustrating for a kid with so much potential to have this great opportunity and things keep going wrong for him. Probably not the way he wants to remember this year, but he's still got a great future ahead of himself. Broken bones aren't pleasant, but they shouldn't have much affect on his future like repeated concussions or knee injuries might. I have to think it'd be more concerning if he was constantly getting the same injury. Still, though, you've gotta feel for the guy.

Beaner
12-28-2005, 04:03 PM
Doug McLean, GM for CBJ, was on the local CBJ radio station today for his weekly update on the club. He reported that Brule is still 2 weeks away. That puts his estimated return as Jan. 11th, one day after the WHL trade deadline.

On another note, Bill Wilms was on the 1st period intermission break with the RDR guys and he reported that Brule will be sent back to the WHL this year. He also reported that the debate going on in Vancouver is wether to keep or trade Brule. Bill hinted that the major concern right now is upsetting the excellent team chemistry that Vancouver currently has. Tough decision ahead for Bonner, I'm glad I just get to play Armchair GM.

Jovorock
12-29-2005, 08:18 AM
I would trade his rights, the Giants need to get more for the Memorial Cup next year. Fistric won't be back and neither will Brule next year, so why keeep Brule?

amisk
12-29-2005, 10:13 AM
What about this year? I think we have a legit contender to make a run, so why not keep him, remember this is still his team and I belive he wants to play for Hay, so it should be great to have him back in the line up and maybe the team can enter the M.C through thr front door.. :thumb:

Beaner
12-29-2005, 02:14 PM
I would trade his rights, the Giants need to get more for the Memorial Cup next year. Fistric won't be back and neither will Brule next year, so why keeep Brule?

What do you think a team may give up for Brule for a 1/2 season and this years playoffs is the question.

Loading up for next year will be a concern of course, but getting a midrange player and some bantam picks wont help much for next year.

Might be worth the gamble to keep him and see if he may be back if the deal is not sweet enough. I'm really not sure what to do in this situation at all.

Jovo - what would you give up from the Rockets for Brule, if you were the GM of the Rockets? Not that that is going to happen, being division rivals, but I am just curious.

Beaner
12-29-2005, 02:15 PM
What about this year? I think we have a legit contender to make a run, so why not keep him, remember this is still his team and I belive he wants to play for Hay, so it should be great to have him back in the line up and maybe the team can enter the M.C through thr front door.. :thumb:

Sorry I disagree, this if Fistrics team. I think Mark has made that very obvious this year.

amisk
12-30-2005, 05:23 PM
Sorry I disagree, this if Fistrics team. I think Mark has made that very obvious this year.
Maybe I had better explane it when I said the Giants are (his) team, the last time I heard the line up being announced he was still scratched so untill the time I don't hear his name I will say that the Giants are his team, or if you like he still plays for the Giants,eather way it would be great to see him for the rest of the year, I would rather he help us to the M.C. than try stopping us, it only makes sense,and I also know why Kel. or Kty. would like to see him traded, that would be less threatning to them.I.M.O.

Beaner
12-31-2005, 01:12 AM
Woops, now I see what you mean, misread what you ment LOL.