PDA

View Full Version : Rookie of the year?

Triton
12-01-2005, 05:35 PM
Who would you choose as rookie of the year in the NHL up to this point?

Beaner
12-01-2005, 05:41 PM
I like Ovechkin so far.

He doesnt have nearly the same team to work with as Crosby and Phaneuff.

langdak
12-01-2005, 06:33 PM
I am keeping my eye on Marek Svatos from Colorado

Yes he is a few yrs older then the other guys, but i like his chances

rinkrat
12-01-2005, 06:52 PM
I thought this was a thread about Michal Repik. ;)
Oh well,we'll talk about him later.lol

Tiger Trauma
12-01-2005, 07:53 PM
svatos
ovechkin
crosby
phaneuf
vorobiev

The front runners are probably ovechkin and crosby.....but I like svatos and phaneuf's play....tough call

Morrison......man where did he come from(edmonton goalie)....I have markkenen in my yahoo pool and he's not getting any playing time...lol

Jimmypop316
12-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Theres two types of people in the world.
People who love crosby, and the people who love Ovechkin.

I'm a Crosby person myself. He's more of a complete player than Ovechkin. Just think him and Malkin will be up there in Pittsburgh for the next 5 or so years (at least). thats a scary thought.

Triton
12-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Theres two types of people in the world.
People who love crosby, and the people who love Ovechkin.

I'm a Crosby person myself. He's more of a complete player than Ovechkin. Just think him and Malkin will be up there in Pittsburgh for the next 5 or so years (at least). thats a scary thought.

Exactly how is Crosby a more complete player than Ovechkin?Just wondering?

LifelongChiefsFan
12-01-2005, 11:30 PM
I am keeping my eye on Marek Svatos from Colorado

Yes he is a few yrs older then the other guys, but i like his chances

I was actually suprised to see him brought up, with Crosby and Ovechkin, he doesn't get talked about very often. I like his composure though, he battles, never gives up and doesn't get very many minutes. He leads the league in game winners with 6 already, and that's a difficult accomplishment, especially for a rookie with as little time on the ice as he gets.

Rebels30
12-02-2005, 10:30 AM
IMO..i think that Crosby, Phaneuf, Ovechkin and :clap: Cam Ward :groovy: could all have a chance

Triton
12-02-2005, 11:11 AM
I was actually suprised to see him brought up, with Crosby and Ovechkin, he doesn't get talked about very often. I like his composure though, he battles, never gives up and doesn't get very many minutes. He leads the league in game winners with 6 already, and that's a difficult accomplishment, especially for a rookie with as little time on the ice as he gets.

Actually Svatos is on their second line,and had appeared on the first line.He plays the first PP unit.He leads his team in goals and is 3rd on the team in scoring.He gets lots of ice time.He should garner alot of votes,cause everyone kinda has forgotten about Marek,and that he is still a rookie.He's only 5 pts behind Crosby.

WHEATMAN
12-02-2005, 12:39 PM
im going with crosby

Triton
12-02-2005, 12:53 PM
im going with crosby

It's easy for Crosby to have as many points as he does.Just look at the supporting cast he has around him..Lemieux,Palffy,Leclair,Recchi,Malone,Gonchar, Tarnstrom,and anyone else I've missed.Plus lots of his points come on the PP.Now look at Ovechkin..what does he have..umm..Halpern.Thats it!And with all the cast Crosby has compared to Alexander,Crosby is only 4 or so points ahead of Ovechkin.Just some things to think about.They both have speed,great hands,great vision,so basically they are alike,although Crosby is stronger with the puck,but Ovechkin can hit.

I say Ovechkin or Svatos for Calder.

In the crowd
12-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Although probably not a Calder candidate THIS YEAR, Brent Seabrook is having a great season as well. But I would have to say if the season ended today, i'd give it to both Crosby and Ovechkin. Co-winners. I wouldn't mind if that happens cause they both deserve it, so far.

fightstrap50
12-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Marek Svatos! :thumb: leads the Avs in scoring! what more can I say?

LifelongChiefsFan
12-02-2005, 01:48 PM
Actually Svatos is on their second line,and had appeared on the first line.He plays the first PP unit.He leads his team in goals and is 3rd on the team in scoring.He gets lots of ice time.He should garner alot of votes,cause everyone kinda has forgotten about Marek,and that he is still a rookie.He's only 5 pts behind Crosby.

It's strange because he is on the 2nd line and he does play on the 1st and on the PP but he generally gets 12-14 minutes of ice time per game and that's it. I know cuz I've got him on my yahoo fantasy team and it's annoying that he doesn't play more.

Jimmypop316
12-02-2005, 03:07 PM
Exactly how is Crosby a more complete player than Ovechkin?Just wondering?

I don't think complete was the best choice there. I think hes going to be later on if he continues to play like he is. Right now he is a more well-rounded player. Ovechkin is more of a pure scorer than Crosby.

People can make the argument that Crosby is surrounded by more talent.. thats obvious. But then at the same time they will laugh and joke about how the Pens are doing terrible. Crosby is playing with Palffy and Christensen on normal duties (speaking of Christensen, hes been amazing too!!)

But you know what they say about great players. They make the players around them better.

Beaner
12-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Phaneuff just got Rookie Player of the Month for November!

:thumb:

Fantastic for Phaneuff and excellent work, for a future Norris Trophy winner.

Keep it up, except when you play Vancouver. :p

nivek_wahs
12-02-2005, 04:22 PM
My opinion:

I would have to take Dion Phaneuf for Rookie of the Year so far.
Sidney Crosby a close 2nd and Ovechkin in 3rd.

Kevin

Tinner
12-02-2005, 05:31 PM
the rookie of the year award will utimately depend on how well his team does, which has always been the barometer.

caps05
12-03-2005, 02:08 AM
Ovechkin, because as others have stated, he has little to no supporting cast around him, unlike Phaneuf, Svatos and Crosby.