PDA

View Full Version : Hawks Avoid Expansion Draft

Beaner
12-02-2005, 01:55 PM
from www.winterhawks.com

Hawks Avoid Expansion Draft, Trade Two List Players to Chilliwack
December 2, 2005 - Dean Vrooman

Portland, OR - The Portland Winter Hawks today traded two players from their 50-player protected list to the expansion Chilliwack Bruins for a “pass” in next June’s WHL expansion draft.

The Bruins, who begin play next season in 2006-07, will be allowed to take one player from each WHL team in the expansion draft. But, with this agreement, the Bruins receive two of Portland’s list players instead of having the right to make a choice from Portland’s roster in the draft.

Portland sent 16-year-old forward, Colby Kulhanek, and 15-year-old forward, Randy McNaught, to Chilliwack in the deal. Kulhanek, from Port Coquitlam, B.C., was Portland’s 8th round choice in the 2004 WHL Bantam Draft and McNaught, from Nanaimo, B.C., was Portland’s 9th round choice in the 2005 WHL Bantam Draft.

“This gives us more flexibility in making trades for players that will be 17 to 19 years old next season,” said General Manager Ken Hodge, who has acquired two such players in separate deals this week. “Now, we don’t have to be concerned about losing a player we trade for in the expansion draft because there would have been no way to protect them all. I think both Colby and Randy have a chance to become good players in our league and it is a tribute to our scouting staff that we have the depth in our system to make this kind of trade.”

If Kulhanek and McNaught both play 10 games in the WHL during the 2006-07 season, the Hawks receive a 7th round draft choice in the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft as further compensation from Chilliwack.

Stay-Puft
12-02-2005, 03:58 PM
Pretty smart move, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if more teams tried to do this to protect some of their 16s and 17s.

Beaner
12-02-2005, 04:15 PM
Pretty smart move, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if more teams tried to do this to protect some of their 16s and 17s.

15 and 16yr old players are exempt from the Expansion draft, FYI. So any 1990, 1991 players are automatically protected. This does not count towards your list of 15 players that you protect.

I agree though, a smart move, now you dont have to put any of your current lineup at risk, and you also don't have to decide who to leave exposed, thus avoiding any bad feelings from payers as to why they were left exposed.

Stay-Puft
12-02-2005, 05:54 PM
I do believe, though, that the Ams (where I see the most information) are only allowed to protect 12 players total, not including 90s. 90s is their only protected classification.

Beaner
12-02-2005, 06:03 PM
According to the Bruins website its just that htey are only allowed to protect 12. Nothing on 90's or 91's, so I assume they get that automatic protection just like everyone else.

Stay-Puft
12-02-2005, 06:40 PM
Boy I hope so. That's about all we have on our PPL on the Ams website, except for a couple of NCAA prospects and US born players.

Edit - Here's the info that I had. Came from a local newspaper article that was posted on the Ams board.

"The WHL did show how concerned it was about the high tariff imposed on the future of the Tri-City franchise and made one weak move to amend it. In order to ensure some semblance of fairness, it specifically excluded the Bruins from selecting any Tri-City players born in 1990."