PDA

View Full Version : Rebels/Blades

mapletoft
12-03-2005, 11:11 PM
Great game tonight! Kinda slow at first, but the Rebels played well enough to win. Leslie played great as did the defense, one of the best 60 minute defense performances I have seen this year. Versteeg is fun to watch - (great goal) - Brett Sutter and Cline had some nifty moves and great passes tonight. Lamoureux/Knackstedt/LeBlanc line had some awesome shifts in the third period and came oh so close to scoring. Cline nearly tucked it in with about 5 seconds to go but the Blades goalie came up big again. I was disappointed in Brandon Sutter tonight especially since he made the play at the end that ultimatley cost us the winning goal. I have a difficult time seeing it any other way - usually coach Sutter would have benched a 16-year old making that kind of careless play but I guess not his son, he was out there two minutes later. Like I said that is th only way I see it, I wish I could see it another way because Brandon Sutter is a great kid with a bright future. I think he is due for a benching lesson. I think Poulter played great tonight and also has a bright future which we are are beginning to see now. Great game from Hansen, both ways, I can see why coach Sutter stuck with this guy even though he missed the better part of the start of the year.

Go REBS you deserved a win tonight!

Rebrevs
12-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Quote...."usually coach Sutter would have benched a 16-year old making that kind of careless play..." Also, Quote "I think he is due for a benching lesson"

I don't believe Sutter "usually" benches 16 year olds for careless play. In fact I think he is more inclined to give ANYONE who makes a mistake, a piece of his mind then sends them right back out on the ice to show that he has faith in them. This is a smart coaching move. Three games ago, Brandon was benched for a good part of the second period. He got chewed out thoroughly tonight as well as last night after Moose Jaw's second goal. I think he is getting his fair share of discipline. The kid works hard. I'm willing to forgive a few mistakes here and there. He's 16!!

tiny
12-04-2005, 12:53 AM
mapletoft, I can agree that the boys deserved better tonight (and last night) I, too, really enjoyed the Lamoureux/Knackstedt/LeBlanc line.

BUT>>>How can you be disappointed in the play of your young players tonight ( including Brandon)???? Yes, he may have made a play that resulted in a goal but he and some of the younger players have been put in a position of added responsibility that would normally be given to more experienced players because the more experienced players aren't available or possibly because these youngsters are better. That lack of experience would seem to me to result in mistakes being made. The two youngsters that made errors resulting in goals the last two nights are good enough that they will learn from it and be better players for it without benching them.

You said,"usually coach Sutter would have benched a 16-year old making that kind of careless play but I guess not his son, he was out there two minutes later." and " he is due for a benching lesson." If that is so why was the other youngster out there playing again without a "benching??

An example that is standing out for me is Pierre Paul Lamoureux. He had two players that had coach Sutter just HOT as could be three games ago. Pierre Paul has since had two of his best games this season. would benching have helped him too??

mapletoft
12-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Both of you mention great points.

Coach Sutter benches anyone for careless play is right. Sutters chewing players out happens all the time.

Further I wasn't disappointed in anyones play except for the fact that Brandon was back out there at the end. All the players showed great hustle and determination last night.

After the game I was standing in a group of about 7-8 people and they either brought up the same thought or agreed with it, and these are season ticket holders as well.

Because of everyone's play they deserved to win!

3rebels
12-04-2005, 12:50 PM
I guess, like everyone else, I'm a little disappointed that the "Hockey Gods" aren't being a little nicer. This group has a great work ethic and I am amazed how much better they seem every game. How can you be upset with very minor lapse that, yes, do result in goals but at the same time are part of the learning curve. I am just upset because we seem to have more and more bodies headed for the recovery zone than we do the attack zone. Things will get better through the hard work of this group. (Too bad Hansen is a 20 year old! I really enjoy watching his and Versteegs forays.) :D

Pirate005
12-04-2005, 02:20 PM
I feel the Blades deserved the win just as much as the Rebels did last night. The Blades are definately the more skilled team and to offset that the Rebels simply slowed the game downin the first two periods to a snails pace frustrating Saskatoon. However the Rebels did play well for being such a young team, mind you the Blades are very young right now as well without Barnes, Menei(two good 19 yr olds who play on our top 2 lines), We only have 1 20 yr old right now who barely plays at all too. I'm proud of the Blades for winning on the road and hopefully they can sneak out another win in LH tonight! Oh yeah, the game was close in the end with 7 of the Rebs 18 3rd period shots coming in the final minute but Khudobin finally did what he should've been doing all year STOP THE PUCK!!!! Last time I checked in order to be successful you have to have good goaltending, especially on the road. Hopefully for you REbel fans you can get a few more wins this year and especially at home because I feel the Bronco's will make the final playoff spot this year most definately.

RDRebelsfan
12-04-2005, 05:26 PM
I feel the Blades deserved the win just as much as the Rebels did last night. The Blades are definately the more skilled team and to offset that the Rebels simply slowed the game downin the first two periods to a snails pace frustrating Saskatoon. However the Rebels did play well for being such a young team, mind you the Blades are very young right now as well without Barnes, Menei(two good 19 yr olds who play on our top 2 lines), We only have 1 20 yr old right now who barely plays at all too. I'm proud of the Blades for winning on the road and hopefully they can sneak out another win in LH tonight! Oh yeah, the game was close in the end with 7 of the Rebs 18 3rd period shots coming in the final minute but Khudobin finally did what he should've been doing all year STOP THE PUCK!!!! Last time I checked in order to be successful you have to have good goaltending, especially on the road. Hopefully for you REbel fans you can get a few more wins this year and especially at home because I feel the Bronco's will make the final playoff spot this year most definately.

you were at the game last night eh Pirate?

I thought Khudobin played a big part in the Blades win, especially in the 3rd. He was down and out at one point, flopping around like a fish.

I'm sure we can push Swifty out of the way for that final spot.

And yea..btw note to Shineyshoes....no one does the goalie chants better than you. lol.

GBG BLEED BLUE
12-04-2005, 06:23 PM
you were at the game last night eh Pirate?

I thought Khudobin played a big part in the Blades win, especially in the 3rd. He was down and out at one point, flopping around like a fish.

I'm sure we can push Swifty out of the way for that final spot.

And yea..btw note to Shineyshoes....no one does the goalie chants better than you. lol.
I listened to the game on the radio,and Khudobin did play a big part in order for the Blades to win the game,I know that there was no fights,but did Brandon Tidball atleast try to convince some players to drop the gloves or do anything to agrivate the Rebels?

Hopefully the team can play a full 60 minute game and defeat the Hurricanes. It will be tough IMO as the game verses the Hurricanes is the team's 3rd game in three nights, and fatigue may and probably is a factor.

tiny
12-04-2005, 07:13 PM
I listened to the game on the radio,and Khudobin did play a big part in order for the Blades to win the game,I know that there was no fights,but did Brandon Tidball atleast try to convince some players to drop the gloves or do anything to agrivate the Rebels?

Hopefully the team can play a full 60 minute game and defeat the Hurricanes. It will be tough IMO as the game verses the Hurricanes is the team's 3rd game in three nights, and fatigue may and probably is a factor.

Yes your tough guy took on 17y 160lb Egener.

SectionNDeserter
12-04-2005, 07:17 PM
usually coach Sutter would have benched a 16-year old making that kind of careless play but I guess not his son, he was out there two minutes later. Like I said that is th only way I see it, I wish I could see it another way because Brandon Sutter is a great kid with a bright future. I think he is due for a benching lesson.

Good idea, seeing as how he has been carrying the team (as a 16 year old) since the start of the season, and this is the first time whatsoever that I can think of where he made a really serious error of any kind.... There are certainly some players on this team that could do with a good benching now and again (Leslie and Wick come to mind), but I think if Sutter can go another 6 months without making a bad play, he is quite a remarkable player.

RDRebelsfan
12-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Yes your tough guy took on 17y 160lb Egener.

Egener hung in there well imo....

Tinner
12-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Here's the problem......as everyone has implied, we expect a young team to make mistakes. We also expect that the vets will pick up the slack and bail the young guys out, but our young guys, for the most part, are the more talented part of the team or least have been to go to guys. A young team and a group of grinders equals a long season when it comes to winning hockey teams and we will have this year to get used to it. Again, next year should be better as the experience of this year will be appreciated by the young guns.