PDA

View Full Version : Tips Take Out PG

Tipped Off
12-07-2005, 11:25 AM
Published: Wednesday, December 7, 2005

Win helps sick Tips feel better
With a number of players feeling under the weather, Everett starts fast and holds on to beat Prince George for its second straight win

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - Tuesday night the Everett Silvertips found something that had eluded them for more than a month.

A winning streak.

Playing with a lineup that belonged in bed with thermometers as much as it did on the ice, the Silvertips built an early lead, then survived to defeat the Prince George Cougars 4-2.

The victory was Everett's second straight. The last time the Silvertips (17-13-1-0) won back-to-back games was Nov. 4, when Everett won in a shootout at Red Deer. In between the Tips were 3-9-1-0.

"It's been a while since we won two in a row," Everett coach Kevin Constantine said with a wry grin. "I couldn't tell you the last time."

Before an Everett Events Center crowd of 4,512, Everett scored three goals in the first 12 minutes of the game, then rode the goaltending of Leland Irving as a team full of sick players ran out of gas.

Peter Mueller, one of a handful of Everett players who spent his time between shifts perched before a bucket because of the flu, had a goal and two assists to lead Everett. Jesse Smyke, Torrie Wheat and Shane Harper also scored goals, John Lammers had three assists and Irving made 32 saves - 22 in the third period - as Everett fended off the Cougars late.

And with Wheat and fellow forward Karel Hromas sitting out the last two periods with head injuries, it meant plenty of ice time for Everett's sick crew.

"You look at our bench and there's four guys on there, it seems like," Mueller said. "You look down and go, 'Who's up?' and it's, 'You're going right back out.' Take a swig of water and you're right back out there. Whatever you've got to do for the team, even if you only have two bodies on the bench."

Kalvin Sagert and Prabh Rai scored goals and Scott Bowles made 20 saves for Prince George (14-13-0-3), which has lost 10 of its past 11.

"I thought both teams competed hard," Prince George assistant coach Stewart Malgunas said. "Everett buried its chances early. Our team woke up in the third period, but it was too little, too late."

Given the circumstances, Everett needed to score early, and the Tips did just that, tallying two goals 18 seconds apart to go ahead 2-0.

First, on the power play, the Tips moved the puck around, drawing the Cougar defense out of position. That allowed Hromas to put a pass across the slot to Mueller, who one-timed it in at 3:39.

Then while the first goal was still being announced, Ondrej Fiala took a home-run pass from Jason Fransoo and although Fiala's shot was saved, Smyke put in the rebound.

"I think it was really important to get a lead because if you take Wheat and Karel out of your lineup, you've lost your top power-play guys and you've lost your top penalty killers," Constantine said. "Then you've got (Zach) Sim, Mueller, Smyke and (Taylor) Ellington, who on a normal night wouldn't have played because of being too sick. If you hadn't have had a lead it would have been a struggle to win a game."

Everett's lead was 4-1 going into the third period when the game's momentum swung. The Cougars came out firing, putting Everett back on its heels. With the Tips also taking three penalties, Everett ended up outshot 23-4 in the third. That after outshooting Prince George 20-11 in the first two.

But while the Tips pressed their luck, Irving stood tall, making a series of big saves. Only Rai's power-play tally managed to get through, though several other golden opportunities somehow stayed out as the puck slid through the crease.

"Our bench was so short we did run out of energy a little bit," Constantine said. "But in all honesty we're a real bad third-period team right now in terms of playing with a lead. We change our game. We sit back way too much and we don't try to spend time in the offensive zone. So we definitely need to try to get a little better at that."

Slap shots: Both Wheat and Hromas suffered concussion-like symptoms after first-period hits. They were scheduled to be examined today to determine the extent of the injuries. ... The 18 seconds between Everett's first two goals were the second-quickest in franchise history. The quickest came when Riley Armstrong and Jeff Schmidt scored 15 seconds apart against Brandon on Feb. 15, 2004. ... Everett defenseman Eric Doyle, also suffering from the flu, skated during pregame warmups, but was unable to go

Tipped Off
12-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Being out of town on business, I didn't get to attend this game...here are some thoughts from some posters from the Tips board....

From "RedWic"
... Good win tonight. Prince George came on strong in the Third Period, but the depleted Silvertips lineup held off the Cougars.

But I wonder at what cost? Wheat, Hromas, and Fiala left during the game, with only Fiala returning back in the Third Period. The injury-bug just keeps lingering...

Mueller, Lammers, Harper, and Smyke seemed to do very well. Adding Harper to Mueller's line appeared to show quite a bit of promise.

And how about that spat between the ref & Constantine, and the throwing of the puck?

The Silvertips have won 3 out of 4, and hopefully they can keep their winning ways this weekend (and beyond).

From "Parent"

It was obvious from the get go the Cougars did not come to play hockey. Their game plan was to injure Wheat and any PG fan that says differently was not at the game. How many times in the first period did the Cougars go head hunting especially on Wheat? And then the hit that took him out was brutal. One guy comes in and knocks his helmet off and then when he is in a position to not deend himself two other players suckered him. Cheap play in the first period cost the Cougars any chance at winning. At one point I believe the 4th goal Hunter left his man to head hunt and climb on the back of Lammers and he let his man go right to the net and score. There is a reason the Cougars are in last place in their division and you saw it last night.

HEY CONSTANTINE - GET SOME FREAKIN TOUGH GUYS IN HERE BEFORE YOU END UP IN THE PLAYOFFS WITH A ROSTER OF 15 & 16 YEAR OLDS. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF WATCHING OUR SKILL PLAYERS GET MUGGED AND SUCKERED EVERY NIGHT BECAUSE TEAMS KNOW OUR BOYS CAN DO NOTHING ABOUT IT. HOW MANY INJURIES TO OUR KEY PLAYERS ARE YOU GOING TO LIVE THROUGH BEFORE YOU DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT?

From "Tipman"

Preaching to the choir on the toughness issue. It's been debated on more boards than just this one. As I put on a previous post though, easier said than done since most of the toughness in the league is either 20 yrs old or in our division. Either way you don't get any of those guys. I agree though that it needs to be a priority and they need to figure out a way to get a good, feared, tough guy that knows his role in here to give the skill guys some room and keep them out on the ice instead of in the stands in a suit.

ihlemic10
12-07-2005, 03:02 PM
It was rediculous the things they were pulling last night. The playing without helmet was a bad call becuase the entire time, Wheat was being hit so he could not get the helmet back on. Where is the interference on that? Nice job to the Linesman to finally get the ref to fix the delay of game thing. It was nice that the ref caught that PG tried to score on the high stick. We for sure need the enforcer type badly, maybe exchange one of our many draft picks for a good one.

Beaner
12-07-2005, 03:58 PM
It was rediculous the things they were pulling last night. The playing without helmet was a bad call becuase the entire time, Wheat was being hit so he could not get the helmet back on. Where is the interference on that?

Unfortunatley, all those calls, playing without a mouthguard, helmet, taking off elbow pads in a fight etc. are cut and dry penalties. The ref really has no choice, if he played the puck without a helmet on, its a penalty, end of discussion.

Should the ref have called an interference penalty on the same play? Maybe, but I didnt watch it so I don't know.

You cant complain about the penalty for playing the puck without a helmet if he wasnt wearing a helmet when he played it.

ihlemic10
12-07-2005, 04:54 PM
I didn't appear he was trying to play the puck. I could be wrong about that, it just looked like he had the helmet up trying to get it on and then was checked repeatedly and it was knocked away. Its a funny play I guess. I wasn't familiar with the rule so thanks for the clarification.