PDA

View Full Version : How did you team get their name?

Kristi
12-08-2005, 11:47 AM
or what is the history behind the name of your team?

Everett was named by a "name the team" contest. The fan that chose the name won season tickets and a bunch of other stuff.

The Silvertip is a indigenous bear to the Pacific Northwest and only a handful remain in the wild.

Golks
12-08-2005, 01:10 PM
http://reginapats.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=12

Tinner
12-08-2005, 02:05 PM
Name the team contest. The owners choose 3 of those names and selcted Rebels as basically they wanted something that started with an R. Also, the black and white colors chosen then reflected the fad at the time. Red Deer was always red, white and blue and the Simpsons wanted to stay away from that color scheme and choose that of the LA Kings.

WHEATMAN
12-08-2005, 02:07 PM
not much history behind the wheatkings. Brandon has always been known as the wheat city, so wheat, the kings was just the add on, thats all i know behind the history of my team

RunTheGoalie
12-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Named after one of our original owners: Bret "the Hitman" Hart.

Glad we dropped pink as a uniform color. ;)

Chipper
12-08-2005, 05:03 PM
I gotta admit I was kind of stumpt with this question, So I asked Jeff Chynoweth and he said
"The Ice name did not come from a "name the team" contest in Edmonton, but from the input of the graphic designer who designed the logo in addition to the club's management. The main reason we chose the word "Ice" was that it could be incorporated into many marketing slogans as well as its natural tie in to the game of hockey."

Good question and thanks to Jeff Chynoweth for the answer.

rinkrat
12-08-2005, 06:31 PM
I gotta admit I was kind of stumpt with this question, So I asked Jeff Chynoweth and he said
"The Ice name did not come from a "name the team" contest in Edmonton, but from the input of the graphic designer who designed the logo in addition to the club's management. The main reason we chose the word "Ice" was that it could be incorporated into many marketing slogans as well as its natural tie in to the game of hockey."

Good question and thanks to Jeff Chynoweth for the answer.

I always thought the ICE was named after a beer made by a Kootney brewery.
Sorta like the Toronto BLUE jays...

nivek_wahs
12-08-2005, 06:38 PM
I'm not trying to be stupid or anything... But the ICE started in Edmonton.

Kevin

Chipper
12-08-2005, 06:45 PM
I'm not trying to be stupid or anything... But the ICE started in Edmonton.

Kevin
I had to come back and edit this mesage because I am not sure if you are Stating that the Ice started in Edmonton (like posted in the quote) or if you were surprised to learn that they started in Edmonton if so Yes they started in Edmonton and moved to Cranbrook after two seasons there.

Chipper
12-08-2005, 06:58 PM
I always thought the ICE was named after a beer made by a Kootney brewery.
Sorta like the Toronto BLUE jays...
No in fact they don't even serve Kokanee or any Labats products at the games. Only Molson beer.

nivek_wahs
12-09-2005, 12:17 AM
I had to come back and edit this mesage because I am not sure if you are Stating that the Ice started in Edmonton (like posted in the quote) or if you were surprised to learn that they started in Edmonton if so Yes they started in Edmonton and moved to Cranbrook after two seasons there.

I was aware that they were the Edmonton Ice.
If I'm not mistaken their first "starting" goalie was former Pat Tim Winters.

Kevin

FELIX17
12-09-2005, 07:30 AM
The Prince Albert Raiders name came from a contest. Originally the first choice was "Mintos" but because of legalities, Raiders was chosen. The PA Mintos played in PA for years before the Raiders came about. Now the Midget AAA team is named the Mintos.

Bran
12-09-2005, 12:57 PM
From reginapats.com

Over the past 84 years, there have been several stories as to how the team got its name, but the truth is the name came from both Princess Patricia, granddaughter of Queen Victoria, and the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Regiment which was organized at the outbreak of World War I in 1914.

A top-level junior hockey team began play in Regina in 1917, and went by the name "Patricias" until 1923 when it was shortened to "Pats". The hockey club won the Memorial Cup for junior hockey supremacy in 1925 under the guidance of the legendary Al Ritchie; the Pats captured the Memorial Cup again in 1930 and 1974.

wango tango
12-09-2005, 03:23 PM
When the Saskatoon Blades were founded by Jim Piggot in the 60's he intended for the franchise to feed his new team, the Los Angeles Blades of the now defunct professional Western Hockey League.

Rooselk
12-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Silvertips was a better choice than Admirals, Golden Eagles, Fleet, SeaDogs, Boomers and other names that were seriously considered.

Well, come to think of it, SeaDogs wouldn't have been a bad name.

The_Vulk
12-11-2005, 10:02 PM
The Calgary Hitmen were named after Wrestling Superstar and one of the original owners Bret 'Hitman' Hart, who also created the logo.

ihlemic10
12-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Silvertips was a better choice than Admirals, Golden Eagles, Fleet, SeaDogs, Boomers and other names that were seriously considered.

Wasn't SeaDog a minor league soccer team around seattle, it seems familiar for some reason...I think they changed their name to the Sounders and now play as that.

The_Vulk
12-12-2005, 10:20 AM
The Saint Johns Sea Dogs of the QmjHL currently use that nick.
http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/navcache/getcontents.php?currentpath=/root/Teams/Large%20(168x127)/lhjmq_168x127_SaintJohn_SeaDogs.jpg

RunTheGoalie
12-12-2005, 12:54 PM
Actually, it is Saint John that is the SeaDogs (and damn what a terrible logo), St. Johns is the Fog Devils.

Kristi
12-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Wasn't SeaDog a minor league soccer team around seattle, it seems familiar for some reason...I think they changed their name to the Sounders and now play as that.

yes they were an indoor soccer team here in Seattle in the 90's.

Wingnut
12-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Here is what I can recall of the origins of some nicknames:

Seattle - with new ownership, they wanted to ditch "Breakers". They wanted to somehow tie into the Seattle history of the Totems but were denied the use of Totems by Vince Abbey, who held (and may still hold) the rights to the name. So they went with a name that would allow them to incorporate some aspects of the Totems, such as a variation of the old Totem logo. Thus, Thunderbirds.

Portland - When Brian Shaw moved the team from Edmonton to Portland, he wanted to go back to his roots in the hockey business and use Chicago Blackhawks uniforms (which he used when he ran the Moose Jaw Canucks back in 1966). He got his start in pro hockey with St. Catherines Teepees, Chicago's junior club in Ontario. I'm not sure why he didn't use Blackhawks, maybe he wanted to somehow indicate that this was a hockey team in Portland so he put Winter into the name. It was originally spelt as two words but became one word when Chicago went from two words to one word.

Kelowna - Kept the name from their time in Tacoma. The name came about because of a desire to capitalize on and/or honour the old pro WHL team in Tacoma, who were also called Rockets.

Prince George - Kept the name from their time in Victoria, who took the name from the long history of the old pro WHL Victoria Cougars.

Moose Jaw - Kept the name after their move from Winnipeg. I don't recall the Winnipeg origins.