PDA

View Full Version : Q&A: Canadiens' prospect Carey Price

Stay-Puft
12-08-2005, 05:37 PM
From FOXSports.com - The goaltender in all organizations is the most crucial position to build a championship team around and perhaps the netminders themselves understand this the most.

Once again the Montreal Canadiens have a potential franchise goalie in their midst. During the 2005 NHL draft last summer, the Habs surprised some when they took Carey Price sixth overall. The talented Price has shown the ability to dominate opponents and steal games and could one day become the next great Montreal netminder.
FOXSports.com: What was your experience like at the NHL Draft especially being chosen fifth overall by the Montreal?

Carey Price: It was great. My family, agent and I had so much fun. Being drafted was almost not the best part of the trip.

FOXSports.com: Is it hard to grasp possibly being a part of a great goaltending tradition in Montreal with the likes of Ken Dryden, Patrick Roy, and Jose Theodore?

CP: Well the legacy can be intimidating if you let it. You cannot think about trying to live up to what other people have done. Instead, try and make your own name for yourself.

FOXSports.com: Did you get the chance to attend the Montreal Canadians camp and what did you learn from your experience with Theodore?

CP: Yes, I did attend the camp. I learned a lot about what it takes to be a professional athlete. You have to be very dedicated if you want to have a long and successful career. Jose helped me in a lot of aspects. He helped me learn how to deal with the media. Which everyone knows the Canadiens have some of the most coverage in the NHL. He also helped me with a lot with how to adjust to the speed of the game. For instance holding your ground, a split second longer so you do not caught out of position.

FOXSports.com: How competitive was the Canadian World Junior camp at Whistler and did you feel you played well enough in camp and early on in this season to earn a spot?

CP: The camp was very competitive. It was even more so because there were no returning goaltenders, which leaves the spot wide open for all four guys. I felt I had a good showing but, it all depends on what the team thinks.

FOXSports.com: With having Ollie Kolzig as a goalie consultant last year and a new owner of the Tri-city Americans this season, how has that helped your development?

CP: He helped me a lot on and off the ice. He gave me a lot of technical advice. I also learn a lot about being competitive from him. You can learn a lot about being an athlete just by watching one.

FOXSports.com: Has Kolzig kept in touch with you now that he is back with the Washington Capitals?

CP: Yes, we send emails back and fourth to keep in touch.

FOXSports.com: What do you think are your best attributes in your game?

CP: My best attributes are my size and speed. I can move around really well for my larger frame. I can become a third D-Man and move the puck for my defensemen.

FOXSports.com: Is their anything you think you need to work on before you make the jump to the next level?

CP: I think one big thing you must improve on before making the next step is just adjusting to the speed of the game. It's a big jump from junior hockey to pro.

FOXSports.com: What has it been like mentally fighting through the team's rough start so far this season?

CP: It's always hard when your team is struggling. It's adversity that you have to battle through. That's what makes you a good player. Professional players do something about it and the rest give up.

FOXSports.com: What has been the most important thing you have learned since your rookie year in the Western Hockey League?

CP: You have to stay humble. Other player's have a lot of respect for guys who don't think they are someone special and better than everyone else.

FOXSports.com: Did your approach to training and nutrition alter after spending time in Montreal?

CP: Yes, taking a look at what professional do is a real eye opener. That's one of the biggest differences between pro and junior hockey. Professional players are way better conditioned.

FOXSports.com: What kind of off-ice activities do you use to unwind on non-game days?

CP: Well in Tri Cities, the weather is fairly mild all year so you can get out and swing the clubs a bit. My billet and I have been able to go out skeet shooting and fishing.

FOXSports.com: Do you have any superstitions or rituals before games?

CP: I don't have any that immediately come to mind. I'd like to think I'm one of the few normal goalies out there.

FOXSports.com: Was their one goaltender you looked up to as a kid growing up?

CP: There was never really one goaltender I looked up to, there was a lot. Marty Brodeur, Marty Turco, Patty Roy, Cujo, and the list goes on …