PDA

View Full Version : Story on Krister Toews

Triton
12-09-2005, 11:19 AM
www.whl.ca

Toews Working Hard in Class and in Bisons' Cage

Krister Toews has been a very busy man.

When the 22-year-old Kleefeld, MB native isn't cramming for exams or in class at the University of Manitoba, he's usually got his hands full stopping pucks for the Bison's Men's hockey team.

Toews, a sophomore Arts student, has appeared in all 18 of the Bisons' Canada-West conference games this season, posting a 2.73 goals-against average and a 9-8-1 record, including two shutouts, and helped the Bisons to second place in the Great Plains Division.

"We had a pretty bad start," said the former Portland Winter Hawk about the Bisons' 2-6-1 start to the 2005-06 CIS campaign. "But, we've won seven of our last nine games, so we've definitely picked it up and gotten ourselves back above .500."

While he's used to being a workhorse on the ice, Toews says it's definitely a challenge to not only focus on hockey, but to keep up with his schoolwork as well.

"It's not always easy," said the 2003-04 Winter Hawks MVP. "You have to learn time management, and you really have to mature a bit when you realize that you have classes and courses you have take seriously and pass."

So far, Toews has managed well both off and on the ice. In 2004-05, Toews' play for the Bisons garnered him a slough of awards including the Bisons' Rookie of the Year and the Canada-West Outstanding Freshman of the Year, and also the Mike Ridley Award for superior athletic ability, good academic standing, and high level of leadership as a full-time student.

After graduating from the WHL, Toews could have tried his luck in various minor pro leagues around North America or Europe. However, he decided it was best for him to use the WHL scholarship money he earned so he could get an education and continue playing a high-caliber hockey at the University level.

"I think it was the right thing to do for me," said Toews of his decision to enroll at the U of M. "I have so many years of (scholarship) eligibility, and I really didn't want to waste it. If I decide I want to keep playing hockey after University, those pro leagues are still going to be there."