PDA

View Full Version : Wick traded

WHL Rules
12-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Red Deer Rebels Make Two Trades

The Red Deer Rebels Hockey Club announced today they have acquired 18-year old forward Ken Petkau and a 5th round pick in the 2006 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft from the Lethbridge Hurricanes in exchange for 20-year old forward Roman Wick and a 7th round pick in the 2006 WHL Bantam Draft.

The Rebels also made a deal with the Vancouver Giants. The Rebels sent a 4th round selection in the 2006 WHL Bantam Draft along with a 6th round pick in 2007 to the Giants, for the rights to 20-year old forward Cam Cunning and a 6th round pick in 2006. Cunning was an 8th round selection of the Calgary Flames in the 2003 National Hockey League Entry Draft and has been playing with Omaha of the American Hockey League. The Flames will reassign Cunning to the Red Deer Rebels later today.

Beaner
12-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Interesting move on Vancouver's part, free up a spot on the 50 PPL, and get a 4th round pick.

I'm wondering if the Flames would have sent Cam down, if this trade didn't go thru?

RDRebelsfan
12-09-2005, 01:56 PM
I like both these deals..So long to Wick who was not living up close to expectations. We get a speedy hard nosed player in PEtkau and then acquire what I'm hoping will be a hard working 20 in Cam Cunning.

Great deals.

Red celtic
12-09-2005, 02:19 PM
I think this deal will enhance our charcter with these two players Cunning doesn't like to lose and will be able to communicate that to our younger players. I like the deal Wick was under performing with us and needed a change to jump start his career.
:clap:

Shinyshoes
12-09-2005, 02:30 PM
This also frees up a euro spot. Any rumors??

D.A.
12-09-2005, 02:44 PM
Maybe they'll bring Kouba back now. :)

Red celtic
12-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Cunning must be 20 if he is playing in the AHL also isn't Kouba playing in the old Federal league with Oglethorp. :groovy:

Nature Boy
12-09-2005, 03:44 PM
I kind of figured that was going to happen. Brent was not very happy with the way Wick was playing. He even called him out a few times. He may have scored a couple of goals the last game but he wasn't playing the way he could. He was good last year but ever since he came back from the pros he hasn't been playing very good.

Beaner
12-09-2005, 03:45 PM
I like both these deals..So long to Wick who was not living up close to expectations. We get a speedy hard nosed player in Petkau and then acquire what I'm hoping will be a hard working 20 in Cam Cunning.

Great deals.

I'd like these deals, too if I was a RDR fan. Seems like the Rebels came out ahead in all the trades.

I'm still wondering if Vancouver got jobbed on this one. I would think Cam would be a worth a bit more than a 4th round pick, seems to be just a tad bit funny, but maybe I am reading to much into it.

loudi94
12-09-2005, 05:23 PM
I like both these deals..So long to Wick who was not living up close to expectations. We get a speedy hard nosed player in PEtkau and then acquire what I'm hoping will be a hard working 20 in Cam Cunning.

Great deals.

I'm going to disagree on the hard nosed part. Kenny went through prolonged stretches where you wondered if he was even in the line-up. Change of scenery might do him good, but he didn't show much in Lethbridge.

GF71
12-09-2005, 05:34 PM
I think the Cunning trade is pretty fair. HE was never going to join the Giants, and why mess up what they have going by adding Cam who was largely ineffective as a Giant? (He played great in the playoffs, but had no offensive results). He is a great team guy though...and Red Deer needs some veteran influence given how young they are right now. Getting 2 picks for him is more than what they were going to get. IMO both teams win.

Beaner
12-09-2005, 05:52 PM
I think the Cunning trade is pretty fair. HE was never going to join the Giants, and why mess up what they have going by adding Cam who was largely ineffective as a Giant? (He played great in the playoffs, but had no offensive results). He is a great team guy though...and Red Deer needs some veteran influence given how young they are right now. Getting 2 picks for him is more than what they were going to get. IMO both teams win.

I agree I just think a 4th round pick seems low. A 2nd or 3rd round pick would seem right.

Mind you if we had gotten a 4th round pick from any other team I probably wouldnt even think twice about it, its just the Sutter conection thats a little weird.

RebFan03
12-09-2005, 06:10 PM
just heard on the radio that both Petkau and Cummings will be in the line up tonight....can't wait to see them both :groovy:

Beaner
12-09-2005, 06:12 PM
just heard on the radio that both Petkau and Cummings will be in the line up tonight....can't wait to see them both :groovy:

Ok now its really starting to sound fishy, considering Omaha hasnt even posted that they sent down Cunning.

RebFan03
12-09-2005, 06:14 PM
i'm not 100% sure that he will be in the line up...just stating what the woman on the radio said....i guess we will see

Tinner
12-09-2005, 06:45 PM
I'd like these deals, too if I was a RDR fan. Seems like the Rebels came out ahead in all the trades.

I'm still wondering if Vancouver got jobbed on this one. I would think Cam would be a worth a bit more than a 4th round pick, seems to be just a tad bit funny, but maybe I am reading to much into it.

Well firstly, we need the help!! so if we came out ahead and it translates into a better team great, we need it.

Secondly, he may well be worth more than a 4th rounder, but the Calgary connection to allow him to play in Van may have not happened. That same connection does help the Rebels and I can see where there is room to second guess, but as said in another post "as long as Vancouver and Red Deer are happy" its a trade that makes sense.

Beaner
12-09-2005, 06:50 PM
Well firstly, we need the help!! so if we came out ahead and it translates into a better team great, we need it.

Secondly, he may well be worth more than a 4th rounder, but the Calgary connection to allow him to play in Van may have not happened. That same connection does help the Rebels and I can see where there is room to second guess, but as said in another post "as long as Vancouver and Red Deer are happy" its a trade that makes sense.

I hear ya, but Im just wondering if Vancouver was told either trade Cuning to Red Deer or he won't be back.

But realisticly I think I am reading waaayyy to much into this.

I'll go back to figuring out who shot Kennedy. ;)

dusty
12-09-2005, 06:59 PM
I highly doubt Cam will be playing in tonights game. He is coming from Omaha. I think the kid will need a bit of time to get up here.

SectionNDeserter
12-09-2005, 09:09 PM
This trade freed up a european spot and an overage spot on the team. I don't know much about Petkau, but if he has both of his legs, and at least one of his arms, this is a steal! Obviously Lethbridge hasn't scouted Red Deer very much this season.

As far as Cunning goes, this is another great deal. He has a high enough skill level to be playing pro hockey, and has a great work ethic, and will bring even more leadership to the team.

SectionNDeserter
12-09-2005, 09:20 PM

Not much chance of him coming back, once he has been re-assigned to a minor pro team from his NHL team, so a 4th round pick is probably a pretty good deal. Probably a bit of a favor there, with the Flames sending him back to juniors though. ;)

D.A.
12-09-2005, 09:57 PM
This trade freed up a european spot and an overage spot on the team.

It freed up a Euro spot, but Cunning has already taken up the overage spot. I don't see the Rebels trying to fill that extra Euro spot at this point, either. Unless Kouba comes back. :)

SectionNDeserter
12-09-2005, 11:11 PM
It freed up a Euro spot, but Cunning has already taken up the overage spot. I don't see the Rebels trying to fill that extra Euro spot at this point, either. Unless Kouba comes back. :)

Yeah, Wick's departure and Cunning's arrival were actually seperate deals, so the Wick deal did actually free up both an import and an overage spot. Now I anxiously wait to see if they are going to go with Reimer for the rest of the season with Leslie backing him up, or try to pick up a more experienced netminder to replace Leslie.

dusty
12-09-2005, 11:16 PM
It said in the pre-game report, Cunning is arriving this evening and will hopefully be playing tomorrow night. Let's hope we have back-to-back winning games!

Tinner
12-09-2005, 11:21 PM
if it were me, i'd move Leslie for another forward that can bring leadership skills to the team along with some talent, go with Reimer and Eidiness as the goalie tantam.

SectionNDeserter
12-09-2005, 11:28 PM
if it were me, i'd move Leslie for another forward that can bring leadership skills to the team along with some talent, go with Reimer and Eidiness as the goalie tantam.

Or maybe for an enforcer, that can bring leadership skills to the team. Lamoureaux is willing to drop the gloves, but I don't think he is scaring anyone, at least not enough to stop them from injuring our smaller/younger players.

Rebel66
12-09-2005, 11:29 PM

I don't disagree with that idea. Can Sutter get a team interested enough to take a 19 year old goalie and give up much of anything however?

SectionNDeserter
12-09-2005, 11:41 PM
I don't disagree with that idea. Can Sutter get a team interested enough to take a 19 year old goalie and give up much of anything however?

I didn't think he could take an overage import with 5 goals that is like -12, and get anything for him either. Maybe he should look to Lethbridge again!

Rebel66
12-10-2005, 12:37 AM
I didn't think he could take an overage import with 5 goals that is like -12, and get anything for him either. Maybe he should look to Lethbridge again!

Good point. :)

Sutter never ceases to amaze me at times either. Look at the Rome trade. The Rebels came out of that one looking pretty good to me.

3rebels
12-10-2005, 01:08 AM
Just got off the AHL site and it stated in the transactions that Cam Cunning had being reassigned to the WHL RD Rebels. Also, Colin Fraser did not play Friday and Mikail Yakubov was back with Norfolk???? :(
I like the trades!! Petkau showed a lot of hustle tonite and Cunning has being putting up a few stats down with Omaha. :groovy:

playa
12-10-2005, 01:11 PM
I like the trades as well. As everyone else has said, Wick needed to go. Not only because he wasn't performing on the ice, but he was not a good leader off the ice either. Keeping a player holding an overage AND an import spot that isn't gonna light up the score board or carry your team is not a good idea at all. Hopefully Wick will perform better with a new team since we saw last year the potential that he has. I am excited to see the new boys and really hope Cunning can bring some leadership.

SectionNDeserter
12-10-2005, 05:11 PM
I like the trades as well. As everyone else has said, Wick needed to go. Not only because he wasn't performing on the ice, but he was not a good leader off the ice either. Keeping a player holding an overage AND an import spot that isn't gonna light up the score board or carry your team is not a good idea at all. Hopefully Wick will perform better with a new team since we saw last year the potential that he has. I am excited to see the new boys and really hope Cunning can bring some leadership.

He seemed to be a real dressing room killer for sure. I think that in addition to the improvements we made to the team by getting rid of him, he may actually help Lethbridge to finish last.

3rebels
12-10-2005, 06:41 PM
DO THEY REALLY NEED ANY HELP?? (lol)
:D :thumb:

loudi94
12-11-2005, 11:16 AM
He seemed to be a real dressing room killer for sure. I think that in addition to the improvements we made to the team by getting rid of him, he may actually help Lethbridge to finish last.

Wick had 2 goals and 1 assist last night. How's Kenny doing?

SectionNDeserter
12-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Wick had 2 goals and 1 assist last night. How's Kenny doing?

Goal and 2 assists (I think) in the last 2 games, and he looked good away from the puck.

loudi94
12-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Goal and 2 assists (I think) in the last 2 games, and he looked good away from the puck.

Good for him, I hope he fits in. Time will only tell how this trade works out.

Beaner
12-14-2005, 12:30 PM
from the Province Newspaper,

Cunning trade fallout

Steve Ewen, The Province

Published: Wednesday, December 14, 2005

WHL commissioner Ron Robison has looked into the Cam Cunning trade. Robison told the Prince George Citizen that there will not be sanctions against any of the clubs, but the issue will be discussed at a board of governors meeting.

The Vancouver Giants traded Cunning, 20, a player they openly coveted, to the Red Deer Rebels for draft picks on Friday. Cunning, who was playing for the Calgary Flames' Omaha farm team up until the deal, was immediately sent to Red Deer, which has prompted rumours that brothers Darryl and Brent Sutter, who are the general manager/coaches of Calgary and Red Deer, respectively, were in cahoots.

© The Vancouver Province 2005

Triton
12-14-2005, 01:05 PM
from the Province Newspaper,

Only the idiotic media would have to of spent so much time coming up with why the deal went down.Cahoots?...maybe but who cares,the deal would have had to go through the WHL head office anyway.

SectionNDeserter
12-14-2005, 11:13 PM
Only the idiotic media would have to of spent so much time coming up with why the deal went down.Cahoots?...maybe but who cares,the deal would have had to go through the WHL head office anyway.

And we all know that whatever team gets Cam Cunning, wins the Memorial Cup! Seriously though, this guy hasn't put up huge numbers, or even decent numbers at any point in his career. Certainly the fact that he was still drafted by an NHL team must speak for his defensive play, but I am really not seeing how every other WHL team in the league would be dropping an overage from their lineup, and surrendering a 4th round pick for him.

WHL Rules
12-14-2005, 11:59 PM
And we all know that whatever team gets Cam Cunning, wins the Memorial Cup! Seriously though, this guy hasn't put up huge numbers, or even decent numbers at any point in his career. Certainly the fact that he was still drafted by an NHL team must speak for his defensive play, but I am really not seeing how every other WHL team in the league would be dropping an overage from their lineup, and surrendering a 4th round pick for him.

Did you actually read the article? ;)

... a player they openly coveted ...

The Giants wanted Cunning in their own line-up and they have an open OA spot.

SectionNDeserter
12-15-2005, 08:33 AM
Did you actually read the article? ;)

The Giants wanted Cunning in their own line-up and they have an open OA spot.

Sure did read the article. Obviously the Giants wanted Cunning in their lineup, but obviously not as much as they wanted to have another pick in the 4th round. My comment was really made to address the issue that a lot of people seem to think that the majority of the teams in the league really wanted a crack at this guy.

WHL Rules
12-15-2005, 08:46 AM
Sure did read the article. Obviously the Giants wanted Cunning in their lineup, but obviously not as much as they wanted to have another pick in the 4th round. My comment was really made to address the issue that a lot of people seem to think that the majority of the teams in the league really wanted a crack at this guy.

The problem that some people may have with it, is the fact that the Flames obviously told the Giants that they will not send Cunning down to them and then after Vancouver traded his rights away the Flames (with Darryl Sutter as GM) assign him just minutes after the trade happened to Brent Sutter's Rebels. The Giants would have preferred Cunning over a 4th round pick, but for whatever reason the Flames wouldn't send him down to them.

SectionNDeserter
12-15-2005, 09:44 AM
The problem that some people may have with it, is the fact that the Flames obviously told the Giants that they will not send Cunning down to them and then after Vancouver traded his rights away the Flames (with Darryl Sutter as GM) assign him just minutes after the trade happened to Brent Sutter's Rebels. The Giants would have preferred Cunning over a 4th round pick, but for whatever reason the Flames wouldn't send him down to them.

So Brent really has that much control over the Flames? I think he should stop playing around and get Phaneuf back then.... Oh wait... Thats ridiculous!

frontrow fan
12-15-2005, 10:49 AM
I think it just proves "it's not what you know.....it's WHO you know, that counts!!"
Hey ...if Daryl wants to help Brent build a better team, who are we to complain... !! I liked what I saw on saturday nite in Cunning...he was hitting everything that moved!! maybe he can light a fire under the "butts" of some of these young guys and get them playing!!