PDA

View Full Version : Rebs/Birds

Tinner
12-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Gotta say right off the bat, the team played with a little more passion and desire than games I've watched over the last 2 months (wasn't at last nights game). Looks like 2 obivious things have happened, one that the recent trades have had an immediate impact, which will last, and two, the rest of the team sees that they could be next and are playing with a little more heart.

As for the 2 new members, both looked good, both scored nice goals and Cunning finished his checks with impact hits. Hopefully (as of right now) we have 2 lines that can score and when the injured players return we will have a much stronger lineup. Nice to see we were able to fight back and frustrate the opposition in the 2nd.

tiny
12-10-2005, 11:53 PM
The team has been headed in the right direction for a while now. The confidence has to be rising with the last two wins. At last some bounces are turning the Rebels way.

I was very impressed with the PK tonight and the guts to come back one more time. Having four lines working their butts off is terrifically entertaining. Can't wait to see the line up when the INJ get back. I'm glad Sutter is making the decisions and not me.

SectionNDeserter
12-11-2005, 12:18 AM
Gotta say right off the bat, the team played with a little more passion and desire than games I've watched over the last 2 months (wasn't at last nights game). Looks like 2 obivious things have happened, one that the recent trades have had an immediate impact, which will last, and two, the rest of the team sees that they could be next and are playing with a little more heart.

As for the 2 new members, both looked good, both scored nice goals and Cunning finished his checks with impact hits. Hopefully (as of right now) we have 2 lines that can score and when the injured players return we will have a much stronger lineup. Nice to see we were able to fight back and frustrate the opposition in the 2nd.

Isn't really nice to say, but the 2 obvious differences in putting together 2 impressive wins in a row, and all the previous games this season were the fact that Roman Wick wasn't in the lineup, and Andrew Leslie wasn't the starting goaltender. Seattle came out strong for the first 4 minutes or so, but Red Deer dominated the game from that poing on, even through a number of very questionable penalties. Newcomer Cunning led by example, punishing a number of Seattle players. I could have sworn one of them that he hit just inside their blueline, went off and threw up. Brett Sutter had a lot of hustle out there, as we have come to expect from him, and young Brandon Sutter continues to amaze, chipping the puck past the Seattle defenseman, and totally BURNING him, going in alone and putting the puck behind McHale. Chris Durand looked pretty good out there for Seattle, as did Ryan Gibbons, who was all over the ice, but the rest of the Thunderbirds just got manhandled from start to finish. Ladislav Scurko gets extra low marks for standing in the neutral zone crying to the officials about getting hit too hard, while his replacement jumped on the ice and played the puck, earning them a too many men on the ice penalty.

3rebels
12-11-2005, 12:20 AM
Just have to say I totally agree. The last two trades seem to be the last pieces of the puzzle. Even Frere seems to be limiting his errant passes. Nice effort all around and I hope it continues on the road trip. Would it be a stretch to say that Reimer seems to have moved into the No. 1 spot??
:clap: :thumb: :groovy:

SectionNDeserter
12-11-2005, 12:30 AM
Just have to say I totally agree. The last two trades seem to be the last pieces of the puzzle. Even Frere seems to be limiting his errant passes. Nice effort all around and I hope it continues on the road trip. Would it be a stretch to say that Reimer seems to have moved into the No. 1 spot??

Yes, even our prodigal son looked pretty good out there, hustling back to break up a number of plays, and I don't think he even iced the puck once! :eek:

Right now, I would have to say that there is no question Reimer has unseated Leslie for the number one spot, now the question remains, is Leslie good enough to be a backup goaltender in this league? I don't think he is. I haven't seen a game this season where it looks like he really even wants to be there. I am not sure if Reimer can play every game from here on in, so Leslie's future with the team seems like a big question mark. :confused:

mapletoft
12-11-2005, 12:58 AM
I certainly believe that this was the best home game of the year. The impact of Cunnings hits was two-fold - he nailed quite a few birds in flight and really knows how to finish his checks - 2) other Rebels were hustling finishing their checks with maximum impact and hustling to get back into the play.

Some points:
I loved the shift the Sutter boys had with about 5-6 minutes left in the game when their forecheck allowed them to keep the T-Birds in their zone and the boys stole the puck a couple of times.

Lamoureux has become a better hockey player this year - you can't help but appreciate his hustle and team play.

Reimer wants to play and his focused all the time. He is a strong positional goalie.

Cline is one smart hockey player who has the ability to hold onto the puck and makes some nifty passes. I like this guy especially when he plays with Versteeg and Petkau.

I must admit I am still nervous when Berube and Frere are out there, although they had a better game tonight.

Mihalik is one tough customer. That was great when he stiff armed the guy in the first period (#24?), and the player thought the better of it and backed off. His reach and use of it is incredible.

I am sometimes leary of Sutters coaching tactics when the going is rough - I'll just leave it to the fact he knows what he is doing. He is the best general manager in the Dub, and just might be a fact!

Hopefully this is turning point in the Rebels season! Can't wait until after Christmas!

Tinner
12-11-2005, 07:14 AM
to tell the truth, the only thing disappointing about the night was we didn't have a very good crowd, which unfortunately, meant the "Touque Toss" promotion wasn't as good as I have seen it in the past. My guess is the promotion people shoud have picked the Friday night game or an earlier game.

original6
12-11-2005, 01:53 PM
hey guys...nice win last night...can anyone tell me how mchale looked in goal..did he give up soft ones??

good luck the rest of the season

steveo

SectionNDeserter
12-11-2005, 01:58 PM
hey guys...nice win last night...can anyone tell me how mchale looked in goal..did he give up soft ones??

good luck the rest of the season

I can't say really any of the goals he let in were soft goals, though he did look awkward on many of the saves he made, is he a rookie?

original6
12-11-2005, 02:03 PM
he was the back-up last year...only played about 5-7 games..bridges was the main man last year...bridges is hurt. so mchale is getting his chance, til jan, when bridges gets back...

hey also where is the best place to get red deer merchandise..website?? or someone else

steveo

SectionNDeserter
12-11-2005, 02:17 PM
he was the back-up last year...only played about 5-7 games..bridges was the main man last year...bridges is hurt. so mchale is getting his chance, til jan, when bridges gets back...

hey also where is the best place to get red deer merchandise..website?? or someone else

steveo

Good question, not sure about the availability of the stuff on their website, as they update the team website about once a month. But it is probably the most convenient way to get your hands on it.

3rebels
12-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Only other place in town I've seen any Rebs gear is Jersey City for White/Black Replica jerseys. The store has Game-Worn 2004-2005 Jerseys on hand but not listed on the web-site. After Xmas they are going to be Silent Auctioned at home games. Best selection is now and prices start at $300.00 CDN and they are puttuing opening bids at the $300.00 AND the jerseys will go for far more at the auctions, if you can believe it!!!! :spineyes:

Nature Boy
12-12-2005, 09:56 AM
I certainly believe that this was the best home game of the year. The impact of Cunnings hits was two-fold - he nailed quite a few birds in flight and really knows how to finish his checks - 2) other Rebels were hustling finishing their checks with maximum impact and hustling to get back into the play.

Some points:
I loved the shift the Sutter boys had with about 5-6 minutes left in the game when their forecheck allowed them to keep the T-Birds in their zone and the boys stole the puck a couple of times.

Lamoureux has become a better hockey player this year - you can't help but appreciate his hustle and team play.

Reimer wants to play and his focused all the time. He is a strong positional goalie.

Cline is one smart hockey player who has the ability to hold onto the puck and makes some nifty passes. I like this guy especially when he plays with Versteeg and Petkau.

I must admit I am still nervous when Berube and Frere are out there, although they had a better game tonight.

Mihalik is one tough customer. That was great when he stiff armed the guy in the first period (#24?), and the player thought the better of it and backed off. His reach and use of it is incredible.

I am sometimes leary of Sutters coaching tactics when the going is rough - I'll just leave it to the fact he knows what he is doing. He is the best general manager in the Dub, and just might be a fact!

Hopefully this is turning point in the Rebels season! Can't wait until after Christmas!

I have been saying that all year. I have been saying that since the start of the year. You wait until after Christmas. This team will look like a totally different team. They will start to win and will be challenging for a playoff spot.
GO REBELS GO :groovy:

Tinner
12-12-2005, 10:32 AM
I'll agree with you that you have been saying that except we should quantify your remarks. The team has changed, about 7 different players. Had the team stayed the same as when you made that statement, you wouldn't be able to say "I've said, wait until after Xmas". Nice try though!