PDA

View Full Version : Leafs Sign Pogge

Beaner
12-19-2005, 09:27 PM
from www.tsn.ca/nhl/

TORONTO (CP) - The Toronto Maple Leafs signed goaltender Justin Pogge to a three-year entry-level contract Monday.

Pogge, 19, was Toronto's first choice, 90th overall, in the 2004 NHL entry draft.

Pogge, of the WHL's Calgary Hitmen, was selected to Canada's junior national team. He is expected to be the squad's starting goaltender at the world junior hockey championship, which begins Dec. 26 in Vancouver.

''It's good credit to him, making the Canadian world junior team,'' said Toronto general manager John Ferguson Jr. ''Last year he was strong for Calgary in the playoffs and he has an exceptional record this season.

''I wouldn't be surprised to see him start the first game at the world junior. We hope he continues the trend he has been on for the past year-and-a-half. We feel strongly that it will, there's no reason to think it won't.''

Pogge is tied for the WHL lead in wins (22) but is first in save percentage (.928), goals-against average (1.53) and shutouts (six) this season.

Congrats to Justin, looks like Christmas came early this year for him. :thumb:

RunTheGoalie
12-20-2005, 08:48 AM
Amazing what a dream season in goal, and a ticket to the WJHCs as a starter will do for ya.

Congrats Justin, though take your time making the NHL, becuase as soon as you do I will be legally required to hate you. :laugh:

Chipper
12-20-2005, 09:45 AM
Nice Christmas present!
Congratulations and take that new confidence to the WJC and bring back a gold to add to your resume.

Tinner
12-20-2005, 11:39 AM
I was wondering how fast Toronto would take to sign him as his stock continues to rise. Hopefully he is or can lead us to gold, and will certainly help those hated hitties on their memorial cup trek. Congrats!

GBG BLEED BLUE
12-20-2005, 11:05 PM
I think that he is the best player that the Leafs have drafted from the WHL in a long time.(I think that he is one of the few WHL players that the Leafs have drafted. He will probably see time in the NHL when Ed Belfour retires and I think it is getting to be that time because the Eddy the Eagle is getting older and his injury problem does not help his situation either. I think Pogge could become the #1 goalie in future, considering that the Leafs have 3 other goalies and I think that Pogge might have an edge on the goalies when he is competing against them for a spot on the Leafs.When he is finished in Junior,he will most likely see a lot of ice playing goal for the Marlies,and could posiably be the #1 goalie for the Marlies. Anyways congrats to Justin. I am really glad that the Leafs have a bright future in goal, And an hounourable mention goes out to John Ferguson Jr. for drafting such a great young player.

Beaner
12-20-2005, 11:07 PM
I am really glad that the Leafs have a bright future in goal, And an hounourable mention goes out to John Ferguson Jr. for drafting such a great young player.

Have some faith, Im sure the Leafs will trade him away for some over the hill goalie just about to retire. :laugh:

Hitmen1
12-21-2005, 10:40 AM
Have some faith, Im sure the Leafs will trade him away for some over the hill goalie just about to retire. :laugh:

My inlaws in Toronto keep telling me that Pogge's name along with Nik Antropov are rumored to be going to Boston for Glen Murray. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Laffs traded Pogge away.

Congrats to Justin!