PDA

View Full Version : Thin Roster

SectionNDeserter
12-19-2005, 11:34 PM
So... With half the team injured, or away at international duty, any predictions on who they are going to call up?

Tinner
12-20-2005, 10:40 AM
there may some deserving 16's, but I don't think they will be able to help the club that much in terms of adding any scoring punch. As far as playing a few shifts here and there is a different story. The rest until the next game will also help heal some of the minor nags.

frontrow fan
12-20-2005, 02:08 PM
who is there to chose from? where would they go to bring players from? I'm asking, I don't know how that works...saw Dallas on sunday at the Bantam Rebels game, I jokingly asked if he was there "scouting" he just laughed !!
Isn't Merrick Sutter still Rebels property...maybe he should lace 'em up...(we're short a Sutter with Brandon away!!) LOL!! ;)

Shinyshoes
12-20-2005, 03:23 PM
Based Entirely on the Pre-Season and Training Camp, I would like to see 16 year old Paul Levarsky From Surrey, BC have a shot at the team. I thought durring training camp he was by far the best rookie, and then we ended up keeping only vets on the D. Too bad, because he looked really solid.

A few of the other list players I think have a shot at trying their hand on the Rebels blue line are:
Archer, Colin D Red Deer, AB 01-31-1990
Connop, Rory D Edmonton, AB 12-27-1990
Kozyra, Patrick D Sherwood Park, AB 01-24-1989

All looked good, Especially Kozyra, and with all of them being in alberta, all have a good chance of being called up just based on their travel time to Red Deer.

The other Defencemen That are possibilities are:
Kot, Joel D Moose Jaw, SK 08-20-1990
Lorenz, Sean D Col.Springs, CO 03-10-1990
Scarborough, Mike D Victoria, BC 04-04-1990
Stebner, Zach D Saskatoon, SK 05-20-1990

It would surprise me to see Lorenz here, as he is from Colorado and is still has his NCAA Eligibility. Stebner was another I was pleased with in training camp, and Saskatoon isnt TOO bad of a trip to get here.

All in all though, I would like to see Levarsky out of all of them. I'm still a little shocked he isn't on the team this year.

Tinner
12-20-2005, 04:44 PM
the only issue they have to be careful of is the 16 yr old rule which limits them to dressing only 4 in any game.

Red celtic
12-20-2005, 05:39 PM
#39 is that a new rule for this year didn't Evert have five sixteen yearolds playing on there team last year.

Tinner
12-20-2005, 06:11 PM
and next year it drops to 40 - 16's for the entire league, which is an average of 1.9 per team.

Shinyshoes
12-20-2005, 06:28 PM
#39 is that a new rule for this year didn't Evert have five sixteen yearolds playing on there team last year.Yes, This is a new rule this season. Last May, Hockey canada approved its "Canadian Hockey Development Model", Which, among other things, limits the number of 15 and 16 year old players in Junior Hockey.

As it applies to the Rebels this year, We can only have 4 16 year old players on our roster (we currently have 2, Poulter and Brandon Sutter). No 15 Year old player can be called up. Period. (This throws out the idea of calling up the 15 year old defenceman in my earlier post, leaving only Levarsky and Kozyra as the eligible affiliates)

16 year olds can be called up AFTER JANUARY 10th, however you still cannot have more then 4 16 year olds play a game. Essentially, with Brandon Sutter gone to World U-17, we can call up 3 16 year old players and still not break the rules. This would be a big problem if we already had 4 16 year olds rostered, because then we would have to sit a rostered 16 year old in order to play an affiliate 16 year old.

and next year it drops to 40 - 16's for the entire league, which is an average of 1.9 per team.Not entirely true.

Rebel39, Next year the limit will be 3 rostered, and 3 playing (Regarless of rostered or affiliate), and the YEAR AFTER will be 2 rostered, and 2 playing, with a league wide cap of 40 rostered as you stated.

below, find a link, and summerized notes of the development model.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/e/news/2005/nr077.html (http://www.hockeycanada.ca/e/news/2005/nr077.html)

Assuming that these rules will apply to the CHL teams, this means that:

- As per new rules #1 and #3, 15 year olds will no longer be allowed to play junior hockey, period. So, no five-game rule for new WHL bantam picks. They can't play in the WHL at all until they are 16. 15 year olds will not be allowed to play in Jr A or Jr B leagues either. So, they MUST play midget.

- however, rule #2 allows "exceptional" 15 year olds to attempt to gain eligibility. So in other words, 15 year olds who succeed in being considered "exceptional" could be allowed to play the full year as 15 year olds. Maybe some of Glen Goodall's records will eventually be in danger after all!

- rule #4 will gradually reduce the number of 16 year olds; each CHL team can have four 16 year olds this coming year, three in 06-07, and a league-wide limit of 40 players in 07-08. Which is the single most retarded rule of all IMO; with the WHL having 21 or 22 teams by then, how do they break down 40 players across 21 teams? Some teams get two and some get one? Why not just a simple 2-per-team limit?

- it gets better - by 07-08, Jr A teams won't be allowed 16 year olds at all either. But, WHL teams can send 16 year olds to Jr A provided those players are still counting against the WHL's 40 player cap. So I'm a WHL team with two 16 year olds, one of whom isn't playing much so I send him to Jr A. Boy will that tick off some other WHL team which was only allowed one 16 year old and has a couple other stud prospects stuck in midget.

- teams may only have one (or two) 16 year olds on their roster but they may affiliate others, and those affiliated players may play unlimited numbers of games after January 10 (rules #5 & #6). Although, you may not play more 16 year olds in one game than you're allowed to have on the season. So, you can call up an affiliated 16 year old for a game but it means one of your rostered 16 year olds has to sit out. This will be really fun over World Jr time when teams usually use a couple more younger players to help replace the older ones gone to World Juniors.

- starting in 07-08, teams may only have one Euro (rule #8).

- starting in 07-08, a yet-to-be-established limit will be placed on American players on Canadian-based teams. Presumably the U.S.-based teams will be allowed unlimited numbers of U.S. players which gives them an unfair advantage - they have access to a much larger talent pool. Assume the limit is two players; if I'm a Canadian team with four really good U.S. players on my protected list, I can only use two of them. Meanwhile, my American-based rival also has four really good U.S. players on their list and they can use all of them. This might not be such an issue in the WHL right now due to the small number of American players here, but it's going to be a big problem in the OHL.

SectionNDeserter
12-20-2005, 07:42 PM
- starting in 07-08, a yet-to-be-established limit will be placed on American players on Canadian-based teams. Presumably the U.S.-based teams will be allowed unlimited numbers of U.S. players which gives them an unfair advantage - they have access to a much larger talent pool. Assume the limit is two players; if I'm a Canadian team with four really good U.S. players on my protected list, I can only use two of them. Meanwhile, my American-based rival also has four really good U.S. players on their list and they can use all of them. This might not be such an issue in the WHL right now due to the small number of American players here, but it's going to be a big problem in the OHL.[/font]

I don't think this is a huge advantage for the US teams, as it is you usually see 1 or 2 Americans on their teams. Once all the teams have planned and adjusted for it, it won't be a problem. There is still a huge discrepancy between the number of EXTREMELY talented Canadian players, and EXTREMELY talented US players, but it is getting smaller.

WHL Rules
12-20-2005, 11:15 PM
Yes, This is a new rule this season. Last May, Hockey canada approved its "Canadian Hockey Development Model", Which, among other things, limits the number of 15 and 16 year old players in Junior Hockey.

As it applies to the Rebels this year, We can only have 4 16 year old players on our roster (we currently have 2, Poulter and Brandon Sutter). No 15 Year old player can be called up. Period. (This throws out the idea of calling up the 15 year old defenceman in my earlier post, leaving only Levarsky and Kozyra as the eligible affiliates)

16 year olds can be called up AFTER JANUARY 10th, however you still cannot have more then 4 16 year olds play a game. Essentially, with Brandon Sutter gone to World U-17, we can call up 3 16 year old players and still not break the rules. This would be a big problem if we already had 4 16 year olds rostered, because then we would have to sit a rostered 16 year old in order to play an affiliate 16 year old.

Not entirely true.

Rebel39, Next year the limit will be 3 rostered, and 3 playing (Regarless of rostered or affiliate), and the YEAR AFTER will be 2 rostered, and 2 playing, with a league wide cap of 40 rostered as you stated.

below, find a link, and summerized notes of the development model.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/e/news/2005/nr077.html (http://www.hockeycanada.ca/e/news/2005/nr077.html)

Assuming that these rules will apply to the CHL teams, this means that:

- As per new rules #1 and #3, 15 year olds will no longer be allowed to play junior hockey, period. So, no five-game rule for new WHL bantam picks. They can't play in the WHL at all until they are 16. 15 year olds will not be allowed to play in Jr A or Jr B leagues either. So, they MUST play midget.

- however, rule #2 allows "exceptional" 15 year olds to attempt to gain eligibility. So in other words, 15 year olds who succeed in being considered "exceptional" could be allowed to play the full year as 15 year olds. Maybe some of Glen Goodall's records will eventually be in danger after all!

- rule #4 will gradually reduce the number of 16 year olds; each CHL team can have four 16 year olds this coming year, three in 06-07, and a league-wide limit of 40 players in 07-08. Which is the single most retarded rule of all IMO; with the WHL having 21 or 22 teams by then, how do they break down 40 players across 21 teams? Some teams get two and some get one? Why not just a simple 2-per-team limit?

- it gets better - by 07-08, Jr A teams won't be allowed 16 year olds at all either. But, WHL teams can send 16 year olds to Jr A provided those players are still counting against the WHL's 40 player cap. So I'm a WHL team with two 16 year olds, one of whom isn't playing much so I send him to Jr A. Boy will that tick off some other WHL team which was only allowed one 16 year old and has a couple other stud prospects stuck in midget.

- teams may only have one (or two) 16 year olds on their roster but they may affiliate others, and those affiliated players may play unlimited numbers of games after January 10 (rules #5 & #6). Although, you may not play more 16 year olds in one game than you're allowed to have on the season. So, you can call up an affiliated 16 year old for a game but it means one of your rostered 16 year olds has to sit out. This will be really fun over World Jr time when teams usually use a couple more younger players to help replace the older ones gone to World Juniors.

- starting in 07-08, teams may only have one Euro (rule #8).

- starting in 07-08, a yet-to-be-established limit will be placed on American players on Canadian-based teams. Presumably the U.S.-based teams will be allowed unlimited numbers of U.S. players which gives them an unfair advantage - they have access to a much larger talent pool. Assume the limit is two players; if I'm a Canadian team with four really good U.S. players on my protected list, I can only use two of them. Meanwhile, my American-based rival also has four really good U.S. players on their list and they can use all of them. This might not be such an issue in the WHL right now due to the small number of American players here, but it's going to be a big problem in the OHL.

Either the WHL didn't adopt the rules or they changed the one about the 15 yr olds because there have been quite a lot of 15 yr old call ups this season.

Everett had Beach and Ius, Swift Current Gervais and Wudrick, Spokane had Wahl, Seattle played a 15 yr old goalie in De Serres and so on.

Shinyshoes
12-22-2005, 10:01 AM
I don't think this is a huge advantage for the US teams, as it is you usually see 1 or 2 Americans on their teams. Once all the teams have planned and adjusted for it, it won't be a problem.This may make a difference for the U.S. Based teams, because Canadian Based teams will now be more reluctant to list US Born players. This will give the US Based teams a bigger talent pool to pick from. I guess it is a mute point untill they set the limit at a specific number.

Either the WHL didn't adopt the rules or they changed the one about the 15 yr olds because there have been quite a lot of 15 yr old call ups this season.

Everett had Beach and Ius, Swift Current Gervais and Wudrick, Spokane had Wahl, Seattle played a 15 yr old goalie in De Serres and so on.It doesnt look like the WHL adopted many of the rules, because on December 18, Everett played 5 16 year olds in the game against Seattle. There hasnt been much talk of the Canadian development model this season, which leads me to believe not many, if any of the rules have been adopted....

Beaner
12-22-2005, 12:22 PM
I don't think this is a huge advantage for the US teams, as it is you usually see 1 or 2 Americans on their teams. Once all the teams have planned and adjusted for it, it won't be a problem. There is still a huge discrepancy between the number of EXTREMELY talented Canadian players, and EXTREMELY talented US players, but it is getting smaller.

It will be an advantage for US based teams, as they will still have the entire Canadian talent pool to draw from, and, no limits on US based.

Imagine for a minute if the CHL said it's a 1 euro limit for the Eastern Conference WHL teams, no limit for the West? Sounds crazy, but thats what they are doing with this US born player thing.

I think the better way to look at it is this way, imagine the outcry from US based teams, if they capped the number of Canadians playing on their teams based on location.

Or even better. Lets say they capped Alberta born players for all the teams playing outside of Alberta?

I think the thing they should do, is if they want to cap US born players in the CHL, then they make it the same for ALL teams irregardless of location. Thats the only fair way to do it. You cant have a successful league, if you base your rules for teams based ont heir location.

SectionNDeserter
12-27-2005, 11:04 AM
Imagine for a minute if the CHL said it's a 1 euro limit for the Eastern Conference WHL teams, no limit for the West? Sounds crazy, but thats what they are doing with this US born player thing.

Not a sound analogy, as the import player pool has about 1000x the number of talented players to choose from. It would be more like saying that the Eastern Conference was limited to only players from say, Germany, and the Western Conference could have as many German born players as they wish, or that the NBA was imposing a cap on the number of Canadian born players on the NBA teams, but the Raptors could have as many as they want....

Tinner
01-01-2006, 08:26 AM
I wonder why (and maybe the Rebels know why) for this homestand, that they haven't brought anybody up to dress 20 healthy bodies for these games. I'm sure it has given an opportunity for some guys to play a little more regular, but in the end, I see the guys that we need to produce, are tired by the 3rd period and have nothing left in the tank.

SectionNDeserter
01-01-2006, 11:51 AM
I wonder why (and maybe the Rebels know why) for this homestand, that they haven't brought anybody up to dress 20 healthy bodies for these games.
Or at least a defenseman, what do we have right now, 3 healthy defenseman?

3rebels
01-01-2006, 02:58 PM
I thought we had 5 healthy D-men in Saturdays game!! :confused:
And a note about the Rebels thread. I posted a note on the Seattle site back on December 12 and there are no new posts. Wa' gives, nothing to talk about down there I guess. :D

SectionNDeserter
01-01-2006, 03:16 PM
I thought we had 5 healthy D-men in Saturdays game!! :confused:
And a note about the Rebels thread. I posted a note on the Seattle site back on December 12 and there are no new posts. Wa' gives, nothing to talk about down there I guess. :DI guess we have 4 now that I think about it(Doubt Egener is 100% so soon) Not sure what is up with Seattle, their message board here only has 150 posts total on it too.