PDA

View Full Version : Tips Talkin' Trade?

Tipped Off
12-22-2005, 12:36 PM
Trade deadline decisions loom for Silvertips
By Jim Riley

Special to The Seattle Times

Given the cyclical nature of competitive sports, teams focus on winning now or building for the future. The trick for general managers is figuring out which path their teams are on.

In the Western Hockey League, declaration day comes Jan. 10, when the league imposes its annual trading deadline. After the rosters are set, the league can get on with the job of determining the champion to represent it at the Memorial Cup from May 19 to 28 in Moncton, New Brunswick.

For the Everett Silvertips, 21-14-1-0 and first in the U.S. Division, there are only four games until the deadline. The Silvertips head into the holiday break with the most wins in the franchise's three-year history and on a four-game winning streak.

The Silvertips are somewhat unusual in that they make decisions by committee. Kevin Constantine, Zoran Rajcic and Scott Scoville all have input.

Constantine is the team's head coach and director of hockey operations, Rajcic the team's alternate governor and director of operations, and Scoville the head scout and director of player personnel.

With a team that is young and successful, they will get plenty of phone time over the Christmas break.

The Silvertips, who have a core of 17-year-olds led by Peter Mueller, Leland Irving, Zach Hamill and Brady Calla, had been considered a year or two away from making a serious run at the league championship.

Now it looks like the Silvertips may have matured early.

"Our target for this point of the season was to be above .500," Rajcic said. "To find ourselves 10 points in front is unbelievable."

No team is willing to tip its hand this close to the deadline, but the Silvertips are willing to listen to offers.

Complicating the decision is that Mueller could be a lottery pick in the National Hockey League draft. If that happens, he might end up in the NHL at 18.

"Once he is drafted, you never know what could happen," Rajcic said. "We'd obviously love to have him back for next year."

The Western Hockey League will have two teams in the Memorial Cup next season because Vancouver is automatically entered as host.

The most talked about player who might be available now is center Kyle Chipchura, the captain for Team Canada at the World Junior Championships, which start Monday in Vancouver, B.C.

Chipchura plays for the Prince Albert Raiders, the last-place team in the East Division with a record of 9-20-0-7. Chipchura could be a perfect fit for the Silvertips, but that doesn't mean Everett would be willing to part with young talent for a player who is eligible only for the rest of the season and this year's playoffs.

Chipchura is 20, so any team that acquired him would have to trade or release one of its other 20-year-olds because the league allows only three "overagers" per team.

That would be difficult for Everett because the Silvertips' overagers — captain Torrie Wheat, defenseman Shaun Heshka and forward Mark Kress — all play key roles.

With a division separated by only 13 points from top to bottom, one trade could shift the balance of power.

"Our long-term goal is to be competitive year in and year out," Rajcic said. "We're not going to sell the farm to make a run at it."

Notes

• For 29 of Everett's 36 games this season, Matt Esposito has sat on the bench. In the other seven, he has distinguished himself.

In two starts, the 16-year-old goaltender beat Seattle 3-2 and lost 1-0 in overtime to the Calgary Hitmen. Add to those his five relief appearances, and Esposito has some of the league's best numbers: a goals-against average of 1.68 and a save percentage of 92.8.

"The coaches are great, and [starter Leland] Irving is just a great guy to learn from," he said. "I have to make sure I stay out extra in practice and do all the little things."

• The Silvertips have drawn 91,886 to the Everett Events Center in 16 home games this season, an average of 5,743 a game. That ranks first in the division and fifth in the league.

Beaner
12-22-2005, 12:58 PM
I think seeing Mueller in the NHL, next year, is a long shot.

He is very talented, no doubt about that, but I would peg his chances at making the NHL next year, as an 18, as slim to none. He may get a couple games in the show if he has an extremely good camp, but I fully expect to see him back in the Dub next year tearing it up.

I think this year to sell Season tickets, after the Lockout, a lot of the young guys were rushed into the NHL, Brule being the most notable example.

If I was going to pick an 18 year old to make the NHL next year I would go with Kessel.

Count on Mueller being in the WHL next year, and he may have a chance at making the NHL when he is 19 years old.

Sabes
12-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Good article, too bad Chipchura is a 19 year old player not an overage 20 year old like he said.

Chipper
12-22-2005, 01:27 PM
Good article, too bad Chipchura is a 19 year old player not an overage 20 year old like he said.
Well he may as well be a 20 year old because there is no way he will be playing in the Dub next year.

Tipped Off
12-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Well, the difference between 19 & 20, in this case, is not whether he'll be playing in the Dub, but if the Tips would not only have to trade value for him, but also have to cut another player to do it. As a 19, the answer is no. As a 20, they would. So that's a huge difference.

As for Mueller...I talk about this all the time with the old guys who sit behind me. Mueller will be here next year. He is a two year WHL player. This year to get a taste of it, next year to learn from it and excel, then it's off to the NHL or, very minimum, AHL.

Beaner
12-22-2005, 03:18 PM
As for Mueller...I talk about this all the time with the old guys who sit behind me. Mueller will be here next year. He is a two year WHL player. This year to get a taste of it, next year to learn from it and excel, then it's off to the NHL or, very minimum, AHL.

I agree fully, but I do believe that you have to be 20 yrs. old to play in the AHL. So I do think there is an outside chance you may just get him for this year +2 more.

All depends on how he develops this year and next and what team drafts him.

Tipped Off
12-22-2005, 11:49 PM
You can get an exception to play in the AHL at 19.

FELIX17
12-23-2005, 08:19 AM
Has anyone contacted this guy and let him know he has no idea what he's talking about. For someone to make a mistake on a person's age is acceptable but when you suggest Everett would have to dump one of their three 20 year olds is ridiculous. A good article but because he eluded to Chipchura being a 20 year old, all creditibilty is lost. Does he know anything about the WHL or does he just talk out of his a__ the whole time? Maybe he should ask someone that actually knows a little about the league before submitting another article.

SectionNDeserter
12-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Has anyone contacted this guy and let him know he has no idea what he's talking about. For someone to make a mistake on a person's age is acceptable but when you suggest Everett would have to dump one of their three 20 year olds is ridiculous. A good article but because he eluded to Chipchura being a 20 year old, all creditibilty is lost. Does he know anything about the WHL or does he just talk out of his a__ the whole time? Maybe he should ask someone that actually knows a little about the league before submitting another article.

Or he just didn't look Chipchura's DOB (Chipchura is one of those guys where you see him on the visiting team and wonder "What is this, his 7th year in the league?").

Beaner
12-24-2005, 01:04 PM

Ahh is that what it is - I looked all over the place for the ruling but couldnt seem to find anything. I suppose its the same as the OHL having the exceptional 15 year old clause.

Thanks for the update on that.

chiefgongshow
12-24-2005, 08:34 PM

Ive never heard of that. All I know is that euros can be signed and put in the minors at 18. What is exactly the exception out of curiousity.

Jovorock
12-26-2005, 11:37 AM
Ahh is that what it is - I looked all over the place for the ruling but couldnt seem to find anything. I suppose its the same as the OHL having the exceptional 15 year old clause.

Thanks for the update on that.
The only person from North America that played in the AHL as a 19 year old was Spezza. Because he played in the OHL as a 15 year old in his home town he full filled his 4 year status and could play minor pro hockey. Euro's are the only other ones that can play minor pro unless they have changed the rules in the new CBA?

That writer from Everett really looks stupid for not checking his facts and shows how much he really knows about hockey. He should stick to basketball or football and leave hockey to someone that cares about the sport.