PDA

View Full Version : Sylvester to suit up for Team Pacific

Jovorock
12-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Good artical in the December 23rd Kelowna Capital News

http://kelownacapnews.com/ To get a direct link you have to click on sports.

Kootenay Ice forward and Kelowna minor hockey product Dustin Sylvester will suit up with Team Pacific next week at the World Under 17 Hockey Challenge in Regina.

By Warren Henderson
Staff Reporter
Dec 23 2005

Dustin Sylvester got a taste of international hockey Tuesday night at Prospera Place.
But as a fan merely watching from the stands, the game between the Canadian junior team and the Czech Republic only served as an appetizer for the 16-year-old from Kelowna.
Next week, Sylvester will get a steady diet of the international game when he suits up for Team Pacific at the World Under-17 Challenge in Regina.
Sylvester, a centre with the Western Hockey League’s Kootenay Ice, is part of a 22-player regional team comprised of B.C. and Alberta-born talent.
“I’m really excited to be getting a chance to play with a lot of really good players,” said Sylvester, who leaves for Regina on Boxing Day. “Wearing Canada’s colours has been a dream of mine. It’ll be exciting to represent my country.” Team Pacific is one of five regional squads from across Canada; the others are Team West, Team Ontario, Team Quebec and Team Atlantic.
The international content features the U.S., Slovakia, Finland, Russia , Germany and the Czech Republic.
Team Pacific will play the Americans in an exhibition game on Wednesday, Dec. 28, then will meet the Finns Dec. 29 in the first of four round robin games.
The top two teams in the 10-team event will play for the gold medal on Wednesday, Jan. 4.
Sylvester made the grade with Team Pacific after a week-long selection camp this summer in Osoyoos.
His teammates include fellow WHL’ers Dana Tyrell of Prince George, Red Deer’s Brandon Sutter, Colton Gillies from the Saskatoon Blades, and Kootenay Ice mate John Negrin.
It’s a lineup Sylvester is confident will hold its own against the best 1989-born talent from around the world.
“We’ve got a really good group of guys,” said the 5-foot-7, 165-pound Sylvester. “I think we have a good chance at doing really well.”
Sylvester hopes to carry over a solid performance in Regina into the second half of the WHL’s regular season.
Ice time in his rookie season has been sporadic, at best, but Sylvester understands the growing process for a 16-year-old player, especially on a team with considerable depth up front.
“I’d like to be getting more ice time, but I know you’ve got to spend time earning it as a young player,” said Sylvester, who has two assists in 29 games with Kootenay.
“We’ve got a lot of good forwards here right now. Next year, I know I’ll be playing a lot more, so in a lot of ways it’s good that they’re working me in slowly.”
whenderson@kelownacapnews.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spungy
12-26-2005, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the story Jovo!!

Chipper
12-26-2005, 03:40 PM
Good experiance,and hope they all build confidence with international compitition. He may be able to help his own cause with a good showing and increase his ice time in the second half. I had expected him to get a lot more ice time than he has recieved so far this season. Its tough to break the line up of a good team I hope he hangs in there and learns from it, he is small but skilled and he will show us all what he can do in the years to come.

Jovorock
12-27-2005, 08:50 AM
Rocket forward Kirt Hill played in this tournament last year, Hill didn't get much ice time last year but he has really blossomed this year. If Sylvester gets the same confidence out of this tournament as maybe Hill did it might be a great thing for the Ice forward.

Good luck Dustin, all the best.